cuttin' em

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
t-$

cuttin' em

Post by t-$ » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:38 pm

well, i got these cheap "crappy" skis and was a bit turned off by the reviews, the shape, and my own mental image of the huge tails going all subterranean. so i cut them off. removed 8". if i ever ski them, i'll post back and the performance. should be fun!!
image (67).jpg
image (68).jpg

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: cuttin' em

Post by Woodserson » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:29 pm

I admire this.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Woodserson wrote:I admire this.
Me too, now I know how to fix all my skis that are too long. I think t$ should have scotty bobed them though.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:08 pm

hahah, trust me, i gave it some thought. still gotta take the bench grinder to them just to knock off the square corners at the tail. i'll do that before i mount them. also gonna do a thin coat of epoxy over the exposed core. that might buy a few more runs on them! it will be really interesting to see how they feel. the tails are 3-4 mm thicker than they were originally, but the effective base has not changed. like i said, should be fun (hopefully) :lol:

gonna mount those bmd's this weekend, we'll see how they look (cause that's what it's all about after all...looking good)

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:10 pm

me so stoopid, i cut my tips off :?
(no pics, too embarrassed)
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:27 pm

The mood has changed! it's Evolution instead of Revolution
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

t-$

Post by t-$ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:39 pm

:lol:

i almost cut to tips off to make a skinny hok...jk

canna...

"Punctuated equilibrium is an important but often-misinterpreted model of how evolutionary change happens. Punctuated equilibrium does not:

Suggest that Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection is wrong.
Mean that the central conclusion of evolutionary theory, that life is old and organisms share a common ancestor, no longer holds.
Negate previous work on how evolution by natural selection works.
Imply that evolution only happens in rapid bursts.
Punctuated equilibrium predicts that a lot of evolutionary change takes place in short periods of time tied to speciation events."

taken from one of berkely's sites.

i think telemark- like felling, shaping, and hunting a wood bow is to hunting- is one of the common ancestors of all modern "skiing". the revolution for telemark started in the 18' whatevers when Norheim bought his local form of skiing to the masses, right? i feel like it's been evolving since then. to my scientific eye the forms of "telemark" are like different species.

i made a mind map hahahhhaha, it's friday and i've had a few beers...
New-Mind-Map (2).jpg

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:11 pm

well, i was lucky to find some older t2's in great shape on cl. from what i've seen on prices online, they were a steal. and they fit real nice clark, real nice.

mounted the bulldogz to the crappy fischers and ran into a little snag. has anyone else had heelpieces crack on them when mounting??? i had the drill set nice and low and was applying minimal pressure. both of them!! wtf?!

i haven't contacted the company yet, and i have heard that burnt mtn has great custy service. i need to get new heels now :( but i'm just confused...they seemed so brittle that like any hard hit while skiing woulda cracked em. i was being so gentle....

anyway, i'm gonna ski them this weekend and see what happens. duct tape solves everything! hahhah, duct tape already on skis and bindings i haven't used once...i think something's wrong here...
image (71).jpg
image (70).jpg

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Aha! The old cracked plastic heel-piece trick! Your story made me chuckle, though. Reminded me of the enigma of old plastic. I don't understand or cannot predict how plastic tends to behave over time. I've met people, though, who had astonishingly confident, even belligerent attitudes regarding the behaviour of aging plastic components in alpine boots and bindings. In Ontario the Good (Collingwood specifically) and in Mont Tremblant, Quebec (geographically and culturally not remote enough from the pernicious influence of correct-thinking policies associated with Ontario the Good) I learned of an astonishing phenomenon. Mint condition bindings older than 10 years are considered, in spite of their innocent appearance, quite dangerous, due to ongoing, inevitable, and discreet deterioration of the integrity of the plastic components. Technicians in the ski shops in both locales refused to work on them due to fears of incurring injury to themselves. This happened some time before I learned to take the power drill into my own quivering hands and have some fun with it. In fact, the incident(s) served as a catalyst for my own gruesome exploratory experiments on old skis. Incredulous at first, I soon realized that these technician guys were dead serious. It got crazier. The guy in Mont Tremblant explained that working on old plastic boots was considered an occupational hazard that he and his fellow technicians throughout the developed world were no longer prepared to risk. How so? These old tired plastic boots were known to be liable of committing random acts of quite extreme violence. More precisely: of spontaneously exploding while undergoing strenuous forms of ski boot/binding adjustments. The sincerity of the technician who wouldn't be caught dead touching the old plastic boots for fear of them blowing up in his face really did move me at the time. Ski technicians, like anyone else, deserve safe working conditions! Later, though, it did dawn on me that he was merely blowing me off. He was far too talented in his art to waste effort on doctoring up my old thrift-store treasures. Moral of the story: be careful around old plastic ski stuff. That shit can kill ya.

TomH

Post by TomH » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:40 am

Drive screws by hand and you'll usually avoid splitting plastic, and generally get better threads cut (and limit potential for stripping a hole).

That being said, old plastic randomly failing/exploding isn't just myth. I've seen plenty of old boots and bindings explode on the hill - which is why I'll only run certain old alpine binding that are metal where it counts.

And the tech wouldn't mount your old bindings because they were likely off the indemnified list, and the shop doesn't want to take on the liability.