Removing kick wax

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
ivymike

Removing kick wax

Post by ivymike » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Noob skiier here, struggled with slippery conditions near Mt. Hood staying just below freezing with old, choppy snow. I ended up using A LOT of kick wax for a slightly colder temp, which ended up working well enough to get me through the trail. Unfortunately, there are globs of wax and debris picked up through the trail. Any good tricks for getting the wax off? I've used citrus solvents on thinner layer but this is a thick, visible layer of wax and pine needles.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Removing kick wax

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Take your nordic wax-scraper and remove as much as possible using the beveled edge. Then, I use this highly dangerous smelling and looking Toko Wax Remover HC3. I think it takes a year off my life everytime I use it, but it works like a charm, however I only use it when desperate.

Swix makes a bunch too.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:03 pm

I use Goo Gone, you can pick it up at you local auto parts store. Smells like citrus as I believe it is citrus based. I spray, let sit for 5-10 minutes, and scrape or clean with a rag. Repeat if necessary.
https://googone.com/products/automotive-spray-gel/

Works for me, and pretty cheap

HBS

Post by HBS » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:02 pm

I'm 90% certain the swix wax remover is just mineral spirits but maybe someone else can confirm.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:37 pm

I used paint thinner recently and it worked like a charm.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:12 pm

I scrape them down to as clean as possible (made easier if you let the skis set outside and get good and cold, particularly for warm waxes). I use a sharp, clean scraper for this; usually a metal one - seems to clean better than a plastic, but requires a little more care in use. If there's still residue to remove, my preference is Swix base cleaner, liquid, used somewhat sparingly. Sometimes applying some heat will allow you to remove the last bit with a rag is an alternative (careful not to overheat the bases if you try this).