BMF vs Outlaw X

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
GNA

BMF vs Outlaw X

Post by GNA » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Have Boots (Crispi WC) and Kendos looking for bindings next. Looking for thoughts on these two bindings. Hoping to hear from some one that has skied both. Goal: step in binding with breaks that would be the best for carving. 5'11'' 195 lbs. This would be a hard snow set up for the midwest WI, MI.

Thanks,

GNA

teleclub

Re: BMF vs Outlaw X

Post by teleclub » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Have not skied the BMF nor seen them yet in action so can't answer your question. They look very interesting. Can't wait to try them.

Step-in with brakes-- be aware that the OutlawX brakes aren't really worked out yet. It has true step-in without breaks but I haven't found anyone yet who has worked out how to get the brakes to work smoothly enough to call it step in, and everyone I know has left off the brakes.

(This is one reason I got Rottefella Freedom, and have been happily enjoying step-in with brakes. No problems to report. Great performance, great edge control, great tele activity. Activity feels different on the Freedom vs. Outlaw. Outlaw has strong resistance to rise right off the deck. Felt like work compared to the neutral bindings I like(d) in 75mm. Freedom felt very different, easier to raise at first, then strong activity comes into play. Quickly got used to the Freedom; tele activity feels easy all day long now, very natural. I dare say if I had skied the OutlawX all day, maybe a second day too, it would feel just as natural and easy too. I've learned two things about tele activity 1) people have strong preferences and hate or love a binding based on it, and 2) if they ski a binding a while, people get completely used to a different activity and love it. That is, I do. Maybe not people.)

t-$

Post by t-$ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Well I've only skied them once and first time on pins, so my opinion as usual is worthless, but check out burnt mountain designs stuff. They feel really solid, are step in, and have several customizable options. Just throwing out another option. Another Michigander??

TA1

Post by TA1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:50 am

No BMF experience, but on 22D Outlaws for last 3 seasons. I think the Outlaw bindings are awesome on all terrain. Uphills great - Not a Voile Switchback on the up mind you , but thats a totally different smoke!. Anyway, I resort, sidecountry and backcountry with my Outlaw set up and nothing but good experiences. A little finicky at times when stepping out, but the X version apparently fixed the issue. My Outlaw is second release before the X. Lastly, I use leashes so no brakes. I dont mind leashes so not an issue for me . Accustom to leashes from my 75mm set up. Not sure that anyone really has nailed brakes on ntn. Maybe Roteffela is the closest to working it out.