Touring speed comparison of skinny dbl camber vs. fat fishscaled ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Touring speed comparison of skinny dbl camber vs. fat fishscaled ski

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:24 pm

martin2007 wrote:Man, Al, I wouldn't have thought of that, two different poles. That's thinking out of the box. I was joking with a ski tech a few days ago about skiing in mismatched boots as I was getting heel pieces moved backwards and wanted to accommodate two different boot sets. Mismatched poles. I'll give it some thought. At the very least, it would be a great conversation-starter!
I wouldn't have thought of it either if I hadn't broken their mates :(. I picked up some used DH poles from a thrift store back in Pa. earlier this year. I skied with them for 2 days before I noticed that one was 120 and the other was 125cm. I was going to cut the longer one down but decided not to because I preferred the 125 length. I figured it was better to have one of them right. I used them for another 6 or 7 days and they didn't bother me a bit.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:47 pm

I did the same 1.5 mile tour today with my T4s and freshly waxed dbl. camber xcd-gt. Conditions were harder and faster than last week and I shaved 6 minutes off my time compared to the vectors. So yes the double camber waxed ski was significantly faster but for a typical 3 hour tour that would add only a little over a half hour. I don't think I would have gone any faster or been more comfortable with my leather boots. I also weighed my leather boots, currently an Asolo Extreme, and found that they were only 2 ounces per boot lighter than the T4s. I don't think I need my leather boots anymore since they have no real advantage.

I want to add that when i took the vectors I did about 8 laps on the best of it and had a ball, compared to making almost no turns at all today.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:02 pm

i think we need a snow dance up in this mug...

have some furries on the slopes ya'll....
snow animals.jpg

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:14 am

Tragedy last saturday. Broke one of my bonna bamboo poles which has served me faithfully since 1976. Broke it once before in a fall on the ressurection pass trail years ago but repaired it with glue and tape. This time I am afraid it is beyond repair. My 30+ year old exel arctics are useable but need a new basket. The 30 year old push button adjustable ramers are like new but just don't seem right when skiing on wood skis. On the lookout for some 145 cm bamboo poles.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Chisana wrote:Tragedy last saturday. Broke one of my bonna bamboo poles which has served me faithfully since 1976. Broke it once before in a fall on the ressurection pass trail years ago but repaired it with glue and tape. This time I am afraid it is beyond repair. My 30+ year old exel arctics are useable but need a new basket. The 30 year old push button adjustable ramers are like new but just don't seem right when skiing on wood skis. On the lookout for some 145 cm bamboo poles.
Bummer about those poles. Maybe you can replace them with something lighter. Hoarding Marmot may still have those excell poles. They were shorter but the baskets were good.

I never could use those Ramers for cc, I think they were too heavy and I didn't like the grip. Plus they whistled in the wind. I did get used to the Lekkis and Black Diamonds though.

I used to ski with 145s, but now for a K&G tour I don't need to go over 135.