Mikaela Shiffrin

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

Re: Mikaela Shiffrin

Post by Harris » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:04 pm

teleclub wrote:NBC commentator/interviewer (not Bode) and main announcer both introduced the slalom event as (paraphrasing) “as champion and repeat winner, Michaela will now win gold...”. Lazy and presumptuous, or just stupid, reporting that doesn’t respect the contest or the competition. Michaela needs to arrange her management to shield her from this stupidity and no sense. She’s young and let them pull her into the idea that it’s all about her. Her great success so far has been due to her hard work and focus on the competition. NBC, the US racing association(s) and Olympic committees, all want to use her to get their needs met. She needs someone smart to block all that doe her.

Same NBC stupidity— interviewer asking Veith “how does it feel to have won gold in the Super G?” With a dozen skiers yet to race. This is why I watch Olympics on CBC or BBC.

Even without Bob Costas, NBC’s tradition of utter stupidity and contempt for winter sport continues.
AMEN BROTHER!!!!

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 am

no kidding, I couldn't believe they didn't bother showing the end of the race before announcing the winner....idiots! I thought Shiffrin did well in slalom, .4 off the winner, definitely not a choke, it's not like she skied off the course or anything.

regarding Vonn she's also had some brutal injuries the last 3 years, the kind that would make most people retire, lots of metal plates & screws, etc.

speaking of Veith wow I am totally in love with her and Lara Gut! Euro beauties! we need some more Cup races in New England. :P :P
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:28 am

Same NBC stupidity— interviewer asking Veith “how does it feel to have won gold in the Super G?” With a dozen skiers yet to race. This is why I watch Olympics on CBC or BBC.

Even without Bob Costas, NBC’s tradition of utter stupidity and contempt for winter sport continues.[/quote]

We switched to Direct TV, I can't get CBC, a network I watched back when there were only 6 channels and two were UHF. I really, really do not appreciate NBC's Olympic coverage.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:08 pm

I like Bodes commentary.

I hate direct TV. They're lying thieves whos bill didn't match what they quoted and they charge your credit card without permission. We canceled after two months and had to get Visa to get us a credit. The customer service rep from Visa said she deals with about 6 of these issues everyday with Direct TV.

STG

Post by STG » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:49 pm

The fun will begin when they can all go back to free-skiing. Being an introvert and non-competitive person, I feel nausea and anxiety just watching the events, but I do appreciate and value their skills, tenacity, commitment and discipline. Those qualities will aid them in life long after their ski careers.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:57 pm

I feel the same way, I'm cringing half the time watching them, it feels somewhat exploitive. If you lose your edges you're almost guaranteed to rack into the fence and get injured, the entire slope is an ice rink, why can't they have hay bales on the edges? One of the guys in the GS took a fairly minor wipeout and ripped up his ACL in the fence poles.

btw looks like Mikeala is dating a guy on the French team, so much for my spectulation. Her parents probably tell her to go relax. It's foolish to assume stuff about peoples' lives from seeing them on TV!
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

STG

Post by STG » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:20 pm

Cannatonic:

Yea, you are so right about making assumptions about about people in popular culture (e.g., TV people). We form a narrative that my have no basis in reality. I think social media may also creates a false illusion of intimacy and understanding.

Why aren't the courses safer? Good question. Tour de France is another example where the organizers appear to be more concerned about ratings than the safety of the participants. Have you ever noticed in cycling or ski racing whenever their is a bad crash the video goes on a continuous loop.