Point a newbie in the right direction for telemark skiing

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
undercover

Point a newbie in the right direction for telemark skiing

Post by undercover » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:29 pm

ImageI’ve been snowboarding pretty much my whole life. Now I want to try something new. I never learned how to “traditionally” ski and I have no desire to do so. But both my daughters Ski and I’m the only boarder in my Family. I’d like to know about telemark skiing if anyone knows anything worth passing on. Such as what size tele Ski would a 5’-7” 175 lbs fellow like myself want? What kind of tele Ski. What kind of bindings/boots? I want to be able to go downhill on the ski slopes and cruise around the flats in my neighborhood on snow days. Like I did today on my wife’s x county skis. Image
Is telemark Ski right for me? And how do I get into it without breaking the bank. I’d like to get the equipment first and get the know his second. Also can I do some minor cross country Ski with telemark set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodchuck

Re: Point a newbie in the right direction for telemark skiing

Post by woodchuck » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:34 am

It's all here, dude! Poke around, you'll find what you need.
Newbie to newbie...
recommended reading: Allen & Mike's Telemark Tips
More in depth, not quite as instant-on: Paul Parker's "Free Heel Skiing".

Gear: Craig's List!

First define your mission: e.g. downhill, uphill + downhill, XCd, xcD. Mission narrows the focus on gear. If there is any uphill or cross country in your plans, rule out 3 or 4 buckle plastic boots (those are lift served only, at least imo). If it's up & down, you probably want 2 buckle plastic, e.g. Scarpa T4 or Scott(formerly Garmont) Excursion. If XC, it'll be some type of lighter, usually leather or leather-like boot. Rule number 1: if it doesn't fit, it's useless. The biggest single fit problem is heel lift.

The cool thing about older used gear is that as long as you don't get carried away, you can resell whatever doesn't work for you at little to no loss of $$. ALL (I think I'm up to 6) of my ski related CL transactions have been great.

If you want to start at the ski area (a good idea, I think), a pair of K2 Super Stinx or Piste Stinx (I have both, they ski great) around 170 long with any type of 75mm (aka NN, aka duck bill) binding and any 75mm plastic boot that fits will get you going.

undercover

Post by undercover » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:29 am

woodchuck wrote:It's all here, dude! Poke around, you'll find what you need.
Newbie to newbie...
recommended reading: Allen & Mike's Telemark Tips
More in depth, not quite as instant-on: Paul Parker's "Free Heel Skiing".

Gear: Craig's List!

First define your mission: e.g. downhill, uphill + downhill, XCd, xcD. Mission narrows the focus on gear. If there is any uphill or cross country in your plans, rule out 3 or 4 buckle plastic boots (those are lift served only, at least imo). If it's up & down, you probably want 2 buckle plastic, e.g. Scarpa T4 or Scott(formerly Garmont) Excursion. If XC, it'll be some type of lighter, usually leather or leather-like boot. Rule number 1: if it doesn't fit, it's useless. The biggest single fit problem is heel lift.

The cool thing about older used gear is that as long as you don't get carried away, you can resell whatever doesn't work for you at little to no loss of $$. ALL (I think I'm up to 6) of my ski related CL transactions have been great.

If you want to start at the ski area (a good idea, I think), a pair of K2 Super Stinx or Piste Stinx (I have both, they ski great) around 170 long with any type of 75mm (aka NN, aka duck bill) binding and any 75mm plastic boot that fits will get you going.
That’s great info. I can see this super stinks model seems to be generally prevalent on the used market. Thanks. I wonder what size I need?

teledance

Post by teledance » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:32 am

Freeheel life sell used equipment too. Woodchuck covered most of it out East start around 75mm underfoot out west around 85mm for groomers. I make a XC track and use my Volkl G2 skis 84mm with Voile 3-pin cables to set the track, otherwise those skis only see spring corn snow. The 3-pin cable works great just to hike in with cable off. Have fun

t-$

Post by t-$ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:11 pm

hey man, another newbie myself...

just start trying to do the turn on those skis on any hill you get. when you feel it, well, then you will probably be just like me. as in, most likely should just get my ass out and ski but instead obsess unhealthily over a particular way to turn my xc skis. hahaha, welcome!

wanna join my newbie club?? i'm trying to think of a name, and i really want shiny '80's jackets....and a patch....

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:52 am

If you happen to be of a thrifty nature, tele could prove to be an excellent fit. Tele has consignment stores, basements, yard sales, experimentation, DIY, fun, fascination and foolishness written all over it. One small step for man...those Germina skis in the photo could be borrowed and you could look for the next biggest hill nearby your place. Golf courses?
Local ski hill? Toboggan hill? Lots of ways into exploring tele, and probably everyone here has their own story about how they got started. Many here came via xc for sure, fewer perhaps from alpine, and you're probably part of a very small contingent of snowboarders. I bet your snowboarding background will serve you well in learning tele. Go for it!

undercover

Post by undercover » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:17 am

For my first set up, What do you guys think of these bindings?
https://item.mercari.com/gl/m86765486881/

With these telemark Ski's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:33 am

About those skis and bindings shown:
Skis are Karhu Jak's, which lots of folks really like, and I'll leave it to someone who's skied that particular model (there's been several incarnations of the Jak's) to offer more input.

Bindings are 7TM releasables. I've skied the "power tour" model for years, and it would be fine. BEWARE: if they're the regular 7TM's, and not the "power" model... avoid them. Wrong pivot point for decent flex.

Oh and about length, ball park for you (there's lots of variables) will likely be around 175 for now.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Phoenix- looks like he's going for the Hammerheads per the link. Nice binding, you can adjust the activity level.

Jak is a great ski. My friends that had Jaks loved them, I had the Line Mothership which was the exact same ski with a layer of metal in it mounted for AT, and I looooved it. I gave it to my other tele friend that didn't have Jaks, and now he looooooves it and won't give it back, gddmmt. Legendary.

175 is as long as I would go in a ski like this. Shorter just solves more problems earlier on. I'm 6'2" 160lbs for reference.