Time for some ski making

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Time for some ski making

Post by Woodserson » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:51 am

This is my favorite short-form video on ski making. Love the Voile Moutaineer binding, the lurk that doubles as a rest, and this guys sweater and hat.

One caveat-- they only show bending the tips, but the whole ski will need to be steamed to get the camber.

Another thing T-Money-- the cut out block thing in the tip of the shovel is not only decorative but also acts as a catch for a tip-spreader in the off season to keep the tips spread when you block the rest of the ski for storage. If you're going with a non-laminate ski, it'll be important.

https://www.nrk.no/ho/et-eventyr-pa-treski-1.10967891

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:19 am

Woodserson wrote:

One caveat-- they only show bending the tips, but the whole ski will need to be steamed to get the camber

https://www.nrk.no/ho/et-eventyr-pa-treski-1.10967891
One of the previous vids stated that the early skis were flat with no camber. I'd say it's optional'

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:53 pm

Definitely gonna put some camber in em. Probably be more like 1.5 not double. Never having made skis, nor having worked with solid birch before, we'll see how floppy they become. This first pair is obviously a big experiment.

So do you all think there is a limit to the sidecut that plank skis can handle?? Not gonna do anything super crazy, but they will have some shape. I'll post up my planned specs when I get me worked out and drawn up. Thanks!

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:36 pm

so, playing with some ideas, i am thinking of going for something like this...

(played with the ski calculator today :lol: )
ski calc.JPG

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:16 pm

So it looks like you are going with a downhill oriented modern design. If you didn't like the sidecut you could cut them down to a skinnier and straighter model.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:25 am

thinking about it. i haven't 100% committed to this direction, but something along these lines. i am trying to mimic the vector style all mountain thing, while keeping in mind the limitations with plank construction. hell, they could be a total ffail, but i haven't seen too many plank skis with this design so i thought, might as well give it a shot. im out less than 50 bux and some time if they suck...already have glass, epoxy, and finishing materials. the steam tube will only cost a couple for some fittings for that, and i'm gonna make the form from scrap lumber i have sitting around. so basically the only expense are the staves themselves...

and after all, it's a ski, not a rocket. as long as they don't snap right out of the gate, it'll be fun and hopefully can still slide around on some snow. designing the sail boat was much more intense from a research, design, and engineering standpoint (and of course construction).
suzie q on island.jpg

t-$

Post by t-$ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Got wood, will ski...and post some more pics soon

t-$

Post by t-$ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:25 pm

well, hmmmm...

came home and really looked the boards over. not to say that i'm unhappy, but not what i was hoping for. those guys did what they could for me and i only want to still give tc millworks a good thumbs up cause you gotta support small business and the community.

the wood is good, but i'm concerned on the difference in grain of these boards. the profile is something i knew i would have to deal with, so whatever. taking the specs and gonna lay out what i think will work best with what i got. and in other news i scored some targas and i think they would be perfect with these. next winter can't come soon enough....

after talking again shortly with the man today i gotta few other leads on some hardwood if'n i make some more in the future. yay for trees!!!!
ski rad.JPG
image (77).jpg
image (78).jpg

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Do they have the same flex?

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:00 pm

Al, I will have to get back with more technical analysis on that. I'm taking some time away from life to figure some things out. I know that my soul will be in these skis when it's done. Checked in here for some calm reflection time. Gotta put my heart into something...