SNOW!!!! whatcha got? (Redux w/ pic)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Re: SNOW!!!! whatcha got? (Redux w/ pic)

Post by 12gaugesage » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:26 am

Beautiful pic!!!
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:30 am

fisheater wrote:Jack, beautiful shot, happy to hear you finally have snow. Hope you get out and enjoy it. I'm sure we would all enjoy seeing some S S S photos, although I'm not one to talk. All my photos are in my head where I am the only one who can see them. I don't know how old I need to be before I will start taking photos. I stop and enjoy the view, and even compose photos in my mind. I think it is that it is difficult to shoot the grandeur I see on a point and shoot or an IPhone. Although the composition of your shot was a work of art, and possibly done on just such equipment? I guess I spend my money on skis and gas, someday maybe.
Hey JT, where are you getting snow?
I guess it's in my blood. My German grandfather, tool&die, was recruited by Kodak in 1909. So cameras, and even early movie cameras, were available for him to beta testing. And it trickled down to my dad and beyond.

The camera I toss in my ski pack is a Canon PowerShot G9 (bought it in 2008 when I finally went digital). Basically a point-and-shoot with lots of setting.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

Rock_Doc

Post by Rock_Doc » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:34 am

fisheater wrote:Hey JT, where are you getting snow?
That's the forecast for Hoodoo Ski Area in the central Oregon Cascades. Here is the updated forecast for tomorrow.
Sunday: New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible. :o

Will make for a spicy drive, but hopefully we will be able to get up there tomorrow.

cheers,
JT

Rock_Doc

Post by Rock_Doc » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:12 pm

GREAT DAY at Hoodoo yesterday. Snow and pretty strong winds, made for fresh tracks and windblown refills ALL DAY. Here is a pic from the end of the day showing accumulation...
hoodoo snow 2-25-18.jpeg
nothing left to do but :D :D :D

1EyedJack

Post by 1EyedJack » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:41 pm

Roc_Doc,
Good to see Hoodoo open. It has always been a bit sketchy regarding snow.
Do they still have free skiing for seniors 65 +? Even though my dad was closer to Bachelor, he took advantage of the free skiing at Hoodoo. The only time I skied there was with him x-c skiing out to Big Lake and beyond. He was 75 and going strong.

Rock_Doc

Post by Rock_Doc » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:08 pm

1EyedJack wrote:Good to see Hoodoo open. It has always been a bit sketchy regarding snow.
Do they still have free skiing for seniors 65 +? Even though my dad was closer to Bachelor, he took advantage of the free skiing at Hoodoo. The only time I skied there was with him x-c skiing out to Big Lake and beyond. He was 75 and going strong.
It looks like Seniors (65+) get discounted lift tix for $31 non-peak rates, according to their website. Probably the best deal for lift tix is "Thrifty Thursdays" at $20 a pop. I've been skiing Hoodoo since I moved to Oregon some 26 years ago and raised my kids skiing there, so have a real special place in my heart for that hill. Because it is north facing for the most part, the main slopes hold their snow pretty well, but over the past 5-7 years there have been a couple seasons where they either did not open, or the coverage was quite limited.

I like those XC trails that head south from Ray Benson snow park, though there is some snow mobile traffic around there - no biggie - just something to be aware of.

I take it you are down in southern Oregon, so probably go to Ashland if you do the lift-serve thing. I've never skiied there, but would like to one of these days. I love the smaller ski areas in Oregon!

Cheers!

Mountain Mitch

Post by Mountain Mitch » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:03 pm

EACA0240-5180-40DF-A4D0-7E2389ADE72B.jpeg
Hot tub
Yeah, we got snow!

My hot tub. We’re about 5 minutes from the base of Red Mountain in BC.

And you should see the back country this year :mrgreen:

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:36 am

I don't know how much snow we got last night but when my wife was driving down the driveway it was piling up on the hood of her Rav 4. She had to slow down because it was starting to cover the windshield.I hope I have the energy to ski after 3 or more hours of shoveling. :(

1EyedJack

Post by 1EyedJack » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:44 am

lowangle al wrote:I don't know how much snow we got last night but when my wife was driving down the driveway it was piling up on the hood of her Rav 4. She had to slow down because it was starting to cover the windshield.I hope I have the energy to ski after 3 or more hours of shoveling. :(
a small price to pay (-:

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:55 am

IMG_0227.JPG
Sometimes the price isn't so small.