Slightly active bindings: Voile Switchback or X2

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
voilenerd

Re: Slightly active bindings: Voile Switchback or X2

Post by voilenerd » Sun May 17, 2020 9:04 am

Well looks like my stock rods will work with the X2 cartridges.
https://www.voile.com/voile-hardwire-te ... -rods.html

I will order X2 cartridges and report back. My other skis bindings are the Lynx and Axl so I am use to a very active binding. Stiffening up my Hardwires seems like a good experiment. I do enjoy a very neutral binding that the hardwires provide and the kick and glide compared to free pivot but adding a bit more stiffness for the down seems like the ticket. I'm running T2s and when I go to steeper bc terrian I run the T1s on my hardwires.

I'm not sure why Voile doesn't market their stiffer cartridges will work on other models. Having a more customizable 75mm Voile binding like 22 designs would great option for Voile customers.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun May 17, 2020 1:47 pm

voilenerd wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:04 am

I'm not sure why Voile doesn't market their stiffer cartridges will work on other models. Having a more customizable 75mm Voile binding like 22 designs would great option for Voile customers.
Because they don't work on other models in all foot sizes. The angles of the heel piece cartridge sets are different between Blue and Black as they are designed for toe pieces that have the rods leave the binding at different angles (this is because the rod attachment points are at different distances away from pin line. The only way I can get away with Black X2 on a blue Hardwire Toe is because there is enough slop between the rod and the the toe piece and I can meet the wider X2 cartridges at the greater distance. The closer the cartridges get to the toe-piece, the less compatible it becomes. Your 28 will definitely be a test. See if you can do it without bending anything. You might not be able to.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Mon May 18, 2020 12:57 pm

My X2 spring carts are now on order! Hopefully this experiment works.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Wed May 20, 2020 2:43 pm

Installed the new X2 cartridges on my Voile 3 pin hardwires and they went on perfect for my 28 Mondo T2s. Plenty of room to spare for different size boots in my opinion. Feels stiffer from intial playing around on boots. I should be able to test on snow after work this Friday and make some turns.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed May 20, 2020 4:08 pm

Oh nice! That's great. I had a problem where I screwed them down tighter and things got really tight and not loose and one cartridge jammed. Glad you didn't have this problem!

Dude you're going to love it, it really amps up the binding. I prefer the 3pin for low angle climbing and the X2 cartridges give me the power.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Wed May 20, 2020 6:18 pm

Thanks for the advice on modification. I'm running 4mm of gap for the cartridges according to the manual for checking tension when clamping boot on binding. May bump it up to 6mm depending on first ski.

Judging by stiffness just flexing into tele position on the carpet it feels like my axl in position 1 with broken in springs. Maybe closer to position .5 if that could be a setting on the Axl. Super excited to test them.

hyung

Post by hyung » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:43 pm

Does anyone know if the Rottefella rods will thread onto Voile switchback/hardwire springs and bails?

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:28 pm

Ok, so thread resurrection.... Frankenbinding question

Has anyone tried fitting voile cables (i.e. the spring 3PC ones) to a SB or X2?

Is it possible?

Is it stupid?

I'm just wondering if it would work better for low angle k&g better than free pivot with modified technique. The I can swap to wires for DH and uphill/DH/BC stuff.

I have a 3PC, but dont have a SB/X2 in hand to test this out yet.

@ @Woodserson

I've read through this thread, and did you say that you thought that cables (again the springy ones) are stiffer than cartridges/wires? Or did I misunderstand?
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

havuja

Post by havuja » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:37 am

havuja

Post by havuja » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:48 am

...so possible, but probably stupid with kick' n glide objectives in mind, it sounds like Voile cable is worse than SB cartridge in that sense. I was thinking TTS LT cartridge (supposed to be softer than X2, and longer ROM), and just heard that Moonlight Mountain Gears TTS -like binding has even softer and longer ROM cartridges. I might be interested in those for kick and glide properties if i ever get the OG SB, but for my X2 I would want them to get (?) better feeeeel and ROM DH skiing.