maontaineer & T2 compatability

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
t-$

maontaineer & T2 compatability

Post by t-$ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:15 pm

hi all,

so i ran into a little snag the other day. tried to get out and ski the last remaining snow (or ice, or slush, or whatever) and was gonna try the new to me combo of the eons with mountaineers and t2's. i was excited for the trial.

but then, after popping in the left boot no problem, i could not get the right boot into the binding. the toe is at apparently the same position forward as the left, it appears that the pins are going up into the holes, but the binding will absolutely not engage into even the first setting.

i have visually compared all aspects of the binding and and they seem identical (as in, no mods made by the prev owner), i cleaned out the holes in the duckbill with an awl, and even after sitting inside and struggling for over .5 hr i am still not able to get the right boot into the binding.

anybody have some insight or advice about something i am missing?? i would think differently if neither of them go in, but the left goes in like butter, the right is impossible.

thanks in advance for any input/advice. have fun in the sun...

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: maontaineer & T2 compatability

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:40 pm

I don't know the history of where you got the bindings and it's probably something you checked, but is it possible you have two left bindings.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks for the thought al, but I do have one of each. They ski great with the alicos but they don't play well with the t2's :(

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:41 pm

Was the bottom of the boot flush with the top of the binding like the other one. I'm thinking there might be a tiny pebble in a pin hole that you didn't see.

It's a very unusual problem that I have never encountered.

t-$

Re: mountaineer & T2 compatibility

Post by t-$ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:32 pm

yeah :( i thought that too. i tried the boot in every horizontal and lateral arrangement i could think.

it's gotta be something with the bail on the one. i'm thinking that it is shaped just ever so differently that it engages the top of the duckbill too early and can't get past the point, or something like that. (i'm not claiming or inferring that it is a manufacture defect, just saying that maybe it has been deformed ever so slightly from use) i never noticed until really studying this problem that there is actually some "spoonbill" effect to the bail on these bindings. i have noticed, however, that the top of the duckbill has some wear on the top-inside, so i dunno.

both boots go into the bmd's with some coersion, but they both go fine, so i am thinking that it isn't the boots.

stumped...

TomH

Post by TomH » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Did you compare your sole thickness between the T2's. It's possible one is a a hair thicker giving you issues and shaving a little vibram or pebax might fix it. It wouldn't be the first plastic tele boot that needed some file work to fit in a binding, but it's usually to the sides, not necessarily the thickness. Otherwise, likely a bent bail.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Ya know, I haven't done that....damn. I will do that as soon as I leave the pub, thanks for the thought