Waiting

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anemic

Re: Waiting

Post by anemic » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:29 pm

Ah. I see. A very similar day to mine - except I didn't need to snoblow today. 4 x125' for a 500' start to the day. I'll take it. Even at lunch the tv was tuned to the eastern seaboard weather story...

Hey you could try my trick. Last week I swapped out my winter tires. Then it snowed!!
Call it Nordic Freeride

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:07 pm

woodchuck wrote:
Well... it fell a little short of "epic". Actually, it turned out to be a pretty typical March snowstorm. 8 or so inches of medium sticky, temp about 30 at dawn this morning. I scaled my ambitions accordingly. I fired up my ever trusty 1968 Gravely snowblower at 0600 (WAKE UP, EVERYBODY, IT'S A BEEE-A-YOOO-TI-FULL DAAAAAAY!), cleared the drive, achieved proper caffeination and opted for the local ski hill for all the usual reasons (proximity, adequate snow...). I got a couple of runs in before the lifts opened (I think I was the 3rd set of tracks down the blue), then a few more (all on skins, rahhhh!) and got as good as it was going to get today (as they say, better 'n a day at the office...). Quit while I was ahead.
Nice to see you out there at the top Early Bird! Nice showing! Sorry I didn't stop I had laps to do! I got your text too late.

Not epic, but very nice. I got first chair in the morning. The skiing was nice, with dense snow. Good for float and turning skis into exciting directions! I skied well, was pleased. Lots of good vibes and strong tele skiers.

...Half-way through the day I lost my car and house keys in the snow. No spares, wife has my car spare out-of-state... go figure. AAA to get the car to the house, and the local locksmith got me back up and going for both the car and house. My wallet is now empty and my body is killing me after three house of kicking snow around Tornado looking for them keys. If you see some keys...

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Ohhhhh shit! Man, bummer about those keys! That's painful!

If that was you hailing me at the top... dang, now that I think about it, I guess it was!... I simply didn't recognize you in those snappy new duds through glasses somewhat compromised by snow and fog. Besides, I turn my brain off when climbing. I go better that way!

Desmo

Post by Desmo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:48 pm

We got about 18-20" of very heavy, and wet snow last wed/thur. Went out for a ski after finishing snowblowing and shoveling....the skiing was just awful. It was much better on Saturday morning, and not too bad yesterday morning as well. It was fairly warm both days with temps above freezing, so I opted for the Fischer Europa crowns....best $15 I ever spent!

Looks like we're getting another dump tomorrow....10-14" predicted, and they are saying it won't be as wet. Work has been canceled, so I hope the skiing is better!

20180308_082339.jpg
20180310_090224.jpg

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Looks good Desmo but I think you need wider skis.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:05 pm

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png
As of Monday night. 90% of at least 5" in Concord, 10% of 16"

https://www.weather.gov/gyx/winter

Desmo

Post by Desmo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 pm

lowangle al wrote:Looks good Desmo but I think you need wider skis.

I do for sure....temps were pretty warm, so I couldn't use the USGI's as the warmest wax I have is V55. I opted to use the Fischer E99 crowns, and I could have used a bit more float for sure. I was hoping that a snowmobile had packed down part of the trails, but no such luck.

Temps tomorrow should be just below freezing, so I'm hoping to get out on the USGI's!

I'd like to pick up a set of wider waxless skis for warm conditions...

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:12 pm

presently skiing 20+ inches of fantastic powder....All skis have worked well from e109----e99-----Yostmark Noodle....Then some of the boys are using Fischer 112....Vectors....Rossi bc 90....You can use anything and the results are the same!!!!! Hoots and hollers....A range just south of us and west of the Highlands has @ 6-8 inches....Amazing stuff...TM

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Help! Send all your surplus snow my way.....
In my "backyard", raining sideways at 7000 ft turning to meager snow event as the cold front comes through.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

Desmo

Post by Desmo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:34 am

We got over24" yesterday! I went out on the USGI's during the storm....will go out again today as well. Might get a snowshoe trek in as well.