Lynx in my yard

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al

XCD Guide

Lynx in my yard

Postby lowangle al » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:28 pm

P1040217 (2).JPG
I had four of these in my yard last evening.

iBjorn

XCD Pinhead

Re: Lynx in my yard

Postby iBjorn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Thats cool, here in Sweden they are extremely shy.

Young Satchel

XCD Pinhead

Postby Young Satchel » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Wow; awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowangle al

XCD Guide

Postby lowangle al » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:02 pm

iBjorn wrote:Thats cool, here in Sweden they are extremely shy.

Here they seem extremely dumb. My neighbor got out of her car and walked within ten feet of one for a picture and it didn't move. These were young ones, but I experienced the same thing with a full grown adult.

I tried to post more pics but when I clicked resize it reappeared as abstract lines. I'm pretty sure I repeated what I did on the first picture.

Thanks Satchel

lowangle al

XCD Guide

Postby lowangle al » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:09 pm

P1040225.JPG

lowangle al

XCD Guide

Postby lowangle al » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 pm

P1040214.JPG
I think I may have it, for now anyway. Now if I could remember how to upload a video.

martin2007

XCD Enthusiast

Postby martin2007 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:43 pm

That is really cool! I was just saying to my wife the other day that I've yet to spot a wild cat on any travels, skiing or canoeing. That comment was made on a day we were happy to watch 4 coyotes hunting for mice under the snow in a meadow in RMNP. And same day: cow moose and yearling calf on a BC trail 25 m. from us. Were the lynx sightings a first for you, or have you made other ones up there in Alaska? And so close!!

lowangle al

XCD Guide

Postby lowangle al » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:31 pm

martin2007 wrote:That is really cool! I was just saying to my wife the other day that I've yet to spot a wild cat on any travels, skiing or canoeing. That comment was made on a day we were happy to watch 4 coyotes hunting for mice under the snow in a meadow in RMNP. And same day: cow moose and yearling calf on a BC trail 25 m. from us. Were the lynx sightings a first for you, or have you made other ones up there in Alaska? And so close!!

I've seen a few in the neighborhood, one whilw mountain biking and one while moose hunting. The one I saw moose hunting scared the crap out of me. I was walking real slow and quiet and when I looked down there was a huge one about 5 feet away. He flattened himself against the ground, to hide I guess, but it looked like he was going to pounce. I jumped back about three feet and he did the same. I circled to the left, he circled to the right and we both went on our way. Within 20 feet of us circling each other he was stalking a bird that was in the bushes pretty much unaffected by the encounter.

My wife called the neighbor to tell him to take a look and he told her he had a wolverine on his game camera recently.

12gaugesage

XCD Enthusiast

Postby 12gaugesage » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:38 am

Thats neat. I hope to spot a bobcat one of these days, but they are pretty elusive around here. Ill have to settle for bear, deer, moose and yuppies.
Nordic by nature

Woodserson

XCD Guide

Postby Woodserson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:37 am

Wicked cool, Al! No Lynx here. They are sweet cats.

We had a bobcat in my yard a few years ago harassing my chickens. My wife went out to shoo it away and it took its sweet time... I don't think it's dumb per se, I'd say it just doesn't give a shit!

Return to “Telemark Talk Forum”