Trailhead Time Saver Idea (you heard it here first)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Trailhead Time Saver Idea (you heard it here first)

Post by lowangle al » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:57 pm

I don't believe all good ideas need to have a practical application and this is one of them.

I was all dressed for skiing, right down to the T4s, sitting in the car in the driveway waiting for my wife to come out. Not liking to waste time I came up with the idea. :idea: :idea: :idea:. I got out of the car and put on my pack. I got back in, moved the seat as far back as it would go and then reclined it to a comfortable position and I was ready to drive.

I thought it was pretty darn funny, possibly unsafe and probably a violation. My wife got a good chuckle out of it and at least one stranger at the trailhead seemed amused.

Anyway, next time you're running late to meet your posse, pull over down the road, get dressed, put your pack on, and your helmet and goggles. When you get out of your car at the TH you not only will make a grand entrance they will also know you tried.

LooseHeel

Re: Trailhead Time Saver Idea (you heard it here first)

Post by LooseHeel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:00 pm

That's a great idea.
It's nice to arrive at the trail ready to go.
Sometimes I wonder about driving with ski boots and the law.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:11 pm

No way I can drive my standard transmission tacoma with ski boots, unless they are NNN-BC. I can't get the clutch to the floor. My neighbors actually get dressed in full kit at home: boots, helmets, goggles, etc and then all 4 of them, kids included, jump in the car and go to the hill. They come home the same way.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:39 am

No way I drive in ski boots unless NNNBC.

Duckbills get stuck, boot width can clip the gas pedal as a driver steps on the brake... I'm not interested. But I'm definitely suited up and ready otherwise!

The worst is a slow partner when you're ready to ROCK

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 am

I always drive with my T4s, been doing it for almost 20 years, never any problem - not even with small tight pedaled italian cars. Never tested with my backpack on, might test that.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am

connyro wrote:No way I can drive my standard transmission tacoma with ski boots, unless they are NNN-BC. I can't get the clutch to the floor. My neighbors actually get dressed in full kit at home: boots, helmets, goggles, etc and then all 4 of them, kids included, jump in the car and go to the hill. They come home the same way.
I'm sure it saves time for your neighbor conny, but without backpacks it doesn't have the same WOW factor.
Woodserson wrote:No way I drive in ski boots unless NNNBC.

Duckbills get stuck, boot width can clip the gas pedal as a driver steps on the brake... I'm not interested. But I'm definitely suited up and ready otherwise!

The worst is a slow partner when you're ready to ROCK
Woods I'm glad to hear that there are some responsible people in the younger generation.
iBjorn wrote:I always drive with my T4s, been doing it for almost 20 years, never any problem - not even with small tight pedaled italian cars. Never tested with my backpack on, might test that.
I always said I wouldn't want to ski in boots I can't drive in. Give it a try Bjorn, It worked really well, the hardest part was trying to get out of the car with a straight face. :D

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:45 pm

If you really want to impress those trailhead gawkers, add Snowfeet Mini Skis to your ready-to-go wardrobe:

SNOWFEET, A NEW BOOMING SPORT
Snowfeet.jpg
(i would think probably not for a powder day. or boilerplate.)

ihttps://www.snowfeetstore.com a bargain at 208 Euros
Snowfeet in action:
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:41 am

Thanks 1eye, that may be the only solution for driving with skis on. Every idea I came up with left me unable to reach the steering wheel.