Re-drilling a ski and ski strength?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Re-drilling a ski and ski strength?

Post by randoskier » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:57 pm

I have decided to use NNN BC Magnum bindings on my upcoming Norway tour. I was going to splurge for new skis but the dollar is in the toilet and I am in Europe so all of a sudden that is a pricey affair.

My Madhus Eons presently have Super Telemark 3 pins on them. I asked Rottefella and they said the existing holes will not conflict with the installation of the Magnums. So I can go ahead and plug the old holes and have the newbies mounted.

My concern is- will the ski still be strong enough after all this is said and done? The skis are only a year old but have quite a few KMs on them.

I tour pretty remote and a ski breakage would be most unwelcome. Any advice is welcome.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Re-drilling a ski and ski strength?

Post by phoenix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Clearing existing holes by 1 cm. is the standard rule. If you plug the old holes with wooden plugs and epoxy, you lose little if any strength, and can drill closer, and sometimes overlap (not recommending it ffor your case, just sayin').
For peace of mind, give yourself at least a full cm. and you should be fine. Skis get re-drilled all the time; one set of extra holes, properly drilled, should be no issue at all.

If, by chance, the new bindings pattern is too close, simply mount 'em a little further forward or back to get the clearance you need. Should be no problem following a 3 pin pattern.

anemic

Post by anemic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Do the holes for the ST line up, same hole pattern as the NNNBC?
Call it Nordic Freeride

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:17 pm

No, it doesn't line up...

No problem with 2 pairs of hole pattern. You should see some of my skis! My record: a pair of K2 Sahale with numerous holes. Skied extensively... Everything's fine...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Just a note: I wouldn't be as confident about multiple holes with foam core skis; we're talking wood core here.