Recommendations for replacing my Totally Pistes

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
sockeye

Recommendations for replacing my Totally Pistes

Post by sockeye » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:23 am

Hi everyone,

Been awhile since I posted here...probably 2006 or something.

Anyhow, it is finally time to retire my 2nd pair of K2 Totally Pistes and I'm wondering what recommendations anyone might have for a modern ski with similar feels and application. I love these for the following reasons:
  • Effortless turns at high speed on the groomers
    Hold an edge on hardpack, w/minimal chatter
    Lightweight and a lot of fun for small jumps and other nimble moves
Its been awhile since I shopped for skis, so was hoping to find someone who is familiar with the Totally Pistes and might know of a good modern-day counterpart that's currently in production (so I can buy two pairs like last time :).

Shopping here in southcentral Alaska, if that helps ID any local gear for sale.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Recommendations for replacing my Totally Pistes

Post by phoenix » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:04 pm

I don't know what's new that would have a similar feel.

But...there's a pair of 174 Super Stinx on ebay right now ($99.95), and my guess is if you really like the Totally's, you'd be happy with the Super's. There's also a pair at freeheellife; they say 170's but tht ski was either a 167 or 174... K2 didn't make them in a 170 to my knowledge.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 pm

phoenix wrote:There's also a pair at freeheellife; they say 170's but tht ski was either a 167 or 174... K2 didn't make them in a 170 to my knowledge.
I've noticed length discrepancies on that site also. Nothing major, I think the cm-height graphic sometimes is covered by a binding and they measure the ski and use that instead.

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:01 am

Here's another idea: try something completely new. The Totally Pistes were great and you loved them. Consider a new design, something that is NOT what you've been used to. Ski designs have evolved a lot since the early 2000's. Why not do some research and try something that might require some adjustments in your technique or style in the beginning, but will prove to be a huge improvement over what you skied on before. There are some wonderful ski designs out there. Try something new, not something that feels just like home.

sockeye

Post by sockeye » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:38 am

martin2007 wrote:Here's another idea: try something completely new. The Totally Pistes were great and you loved them. Consider a new design, something that is NOT what you've been used to. Ski designs have evolved a lot since the early 2000's. Why not do some research and try something that might require some adjustments in your technique or style in the beginning, but will prove to be a huge improvement over what you skied on before. There are some wonderful ski designs out there. Try something new, not something that feels just like home.
Yes, I am looking for a modern ski with the three main attributes I list above:
  • Effortless turns at high speed on the groomers
    Hold an edge on hardpack, w/minimal chatter
    Lightweight and a lot of fun for small jumps and other nimble moves
I have several other, more modern pairs for off piste/powder/etc., so am just looking for a front country recommendation.
Why not do some research
That's what I'm doing right now. Got any recommendations?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:43 am

I can't say enough about my Atomic Vantage 85 as a frontside ski, see my review here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1959

Love them! I don't know how heavy you are, the 85 is billed as the intermediate ski so if you're very powerful/big you could overpower it, then I would size up. Here's Atomic's link: https://shop.atomic.com/en-us/men/alpin ... ntain.html

I can't speak to the "X"s they seem higher octane with race pedigree (and sold with alpine bindings), but the straight up Vantages are great all-mountain skis with slightly upturned tails so you can ride fakie and impress der wermens. The mount is relatively forward for low swing weight, great for turning and throwing 3's. Not the best powpow ski (the 85).

Very attractive price-point too if you look around. I got my 85's for less than 200 buckos.

Laser like precision carving too. Durable construction.

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Sorry, I haven't got any strong convictions re: recommendations. I really like my Salomon Q-90's in powder, but you could probably do better for hard pack. My Q-90's are already 3-4 years old. Salomon updated them to "Q-92's" with some mods since my version. "Soul 7's" were extremely popular with many tele-ers, but perhaps less so recently. Again, a powder ski. Fat boards are great in powder, but I feel like they're overkill, i.e. clunkier on hard pack and groomers. Up until recently, my go-to groomer-ski was a girl's-weight shortish 90'-era Rossi ski I picked up at a Goodwill store. Loved them for quite a while. Skied resorts on them with flat-on-the-ski Voile cables and burly Synergy's. Nimble, light, and fun. Part of the fun probably had to do with giving new life to a supposedly obsolete product. But they are ridiculously narrow underfoot. Having fooled around on a few other sets of skis, all of which were way fatter, the Rossi's have seen very little action this year. Good luck in your search.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Ooooh I just thought of another good ski, the Rossignol Scratch. I think a mid-80 waist, kind of a jib ski, probably a lot of fun on the frontside. This was a contender for me, but I went with the Vantage as described above. Also available cheap.