Switchback question

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
woodchuck

Switchback question

Post by woodchuck » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:33 pm

My cartridges back themselves off during ascent. They start out adjusted to Voile specs (4 - 6mm past the index mark). Voile says the threads are to be greased and mine are. I get some rubbing between boot and cartridge -- enough to buff off the red finish in spots -- maybe that's (part of) the problem?

We're talking as many as six turns of adjustment in an 800' ascent. There's nothing particularly repeatable or consistent about this either. The worst offender is typically the right side of the right boot.

Bend the rods to eliminate contact with boots? Loctite? Witchcraft?

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Switchback question

Post by connyro » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:39 pm

If I had to guess, it sounds like you may have your bindings mis-adjusted so one cartridge has more pre-load than the other one. When I have an imbalance in the adjustments between the two cartridges, I notice that the heel throw is not aligned on the center of the ski and one cartridge 'pulls' more than the other one. This can cause play in the boot/binding interface, possibly causing the cartridge to unscrew.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:22 pm

You might be right about the rubbing of the cartridge and the boot causing it. Maybe it will get better over time as the grease on the threads dries up.

This isn't a cure, but I used to put tape on the rod to mark the spot where they should be adjusted to. This way I could easily see if they were loosening and I knew where they needed to be readjusted to.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:00 pm

It's the grease. I had the same problem.

I think Vibratite is the answer. And you might first try teflon tape.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks for sanity check(s). Re-adjusted the darned things 4x today. Going to try a little blue loctite next.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:23 pm

Let us know if that does the trick.

anemic

Post by anemic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:29 pm

I think the mechanism is the same on my Hardwires and I'm glad not to have this problem! I'd probably call voile and see what they have to say. They've probablt heard of this problem before and can tell you the fix. I'd hope. I can see going to a Switchback binding someday. Seems like there are quite a few Axl problem forum threads but almost zero Switchback problem threads.
Call it Nordic Freeride

EvanTrem
Ski style: XCD, Telemark, Backcountry
Favorite Skis: K2 Work Stinx w/ 22 Designs Outlaw X, Madshus Annum w/ Voile 3 Pin
Favorite boots: TX Comp, Alico Ski March

Post by EvanTrem » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:33 am

dnt_upton wrote:It's the grease. I had the same problem.

I think Vibratite is the answer. And you might first try teflon tape.

I agree with this. I have had pretty good results using teflon tape (just standard plumber's pipe tape).

TomH

Post by TomH » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:59 am

On BD02's I used to use electric tape (over cartridge/cable interface) to stop the same thing from happening, and it was also SOP for HH's heel tube per the manufacturer. I've heard the teflon tape many times for Switchbacks though.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:27 am

TomH wrote:On BD02's I used to use electric tape (over cartridge/cable interface) to stop the same thing from happening, and it was also SOP for HH's heel tube per the manufacturer. I've heard the teflon tape many times for Switchbacks though.
Easy fix on the BD because it's all under boot.

I haven't had this problem with my Voile HW, SB, or X2's but I DO notice that new cartridges need adjusting over the first week or skiing or so as they get compressed, new springs getting their workout... after a few weeks they stabilize out.