Voile Objective skis - what length?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
gbedford

Voile Objective skis - what length?

Post by gbedford » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:49 am

I intend buying a pair of Voile Objective skis the the waxless BC version.
The problem I face is what length. I weigh 150 lbs andare 5' 8"
I seem to be on the borderline recommended by Voile between the 171 and the 178 cm skis.
I consider myself a good skier both up and down.
I have been skiing Atomic Chuhgach 180's with 3 pins. These have a negative pattern on the base. I really like these skis but they are getting old and I am interested in getting a bit more stability on the down. I can use the negative pattern effectively in most conditions.
I don't want too much drag so I am wary of the Objective 171's but then they probably turn better.
What do you think? I am hoping Johnny could answer this but I would value other people's advice.

Best regards,
Gordon

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Voile Objective skis - what length?

Post by Woodserson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:03 am

What are the Chugach dimensions, and where do you ski?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:22 am

Hi Gordon, If your goal is to get a better ski for the down I would go with the 171. I ski the vector in a 170 and I weigh a little over 180 which puts me at the upper limit of it's suggested weight range. After 4 years I never wished I had them longer and I do a lot of K&G.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am

My $.02: I would do the 178's. You'll like the added length/glide for touring. If you are used to turning the Chugach, you'll have NO PROBLEM turning the Objectives. The Chugachs, while wide (98-69-88), are a very stiff camber and a half, making them a bit of a chore to turn in challenging conditions. The Objectives will turn much easier. I have a pair of Chugachs/3-pins and personally have never really liked them for climbing (negative pattern) or descending (stiff camber). Or anything really (lots of sidecut spoils touring IMO). They would have been a better ski if they had less camber and stiffness. IMO, you'll absolutely rock the Objectives if you can handle the Chugachs.

gbedford

Post by gbedford » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:45 am

Thanks for the quick replies.
I have to apologise because when I read your replies I realised I had stated the information correctly. My skis are Atomic Rainier not Chugach. I had been looking on the web at a 2nd hand pair of Chugach just before logging in to Telmark talk and sending a pm to Johnny. I then copied that message into the forum.
My thoughts were still partially on the Chugach skis as I wrote.

The Rainiers are 180's (actually 176 measured tip to tail) 88/60/78. I like them for k and g. They turn well and are fast. Have a 1 and 1/2 camber. Still more of a nordic touring ski than a telemark ski. Similar only better IMO to the original Karhu XCD. Not a lot of grip in fresh dry snow but then we don't have a lot of that in Australia.
So all that means I don't know a stuff about Chugach skis and have messed up your advice.

180 pounds on the 171 Vectors and good k&g. Sounds to good to be true. I resume they have a scale base.

connyro

Post by connyro » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:12 pm

My advice still stands. If you can turn the Rainiers, you can turn Objectives easily. IMO, you'll really enjoy the upgrade. Rainiers and Chugachs are basically the same ski with the Chugachs being wider by 10 mm or so.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:00 am

Agree with Connyro...Go a little longer...Telewheels is saying the same for his Voile's at 171?.....Would speed the skis up a bit and be better on the cruise....And they turn so easily why not get the benefit of a bit longer? TM

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:41 am

I'm 5'7", 130 lbs; camber works great for me, but I'm finding they feel pretty short. It is a very, very easy turning ski.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:10 pm

If conny and gt agree they gotta be right. I've never skied the ski, but phoenix has so I'd say you'd be happy with the longer ski. I think you'd be happy with either.

connyro

Post by connyro » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:11 am

lowangle al wrote:If conny and gt agree ...
This is a first. Cats sleeping with dogs! I can no longer stand by my advice because I must have taken a blow to the head or some other TBI.