75mm boot recomendations

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Ingstad91

Rank: XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 am
Location: Lillehammer, Norway

75mm boot recomendations

Postby Ingstad91 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:10 pm

I really want new boots for backountry/telemark skiing and need advice on what to buy. I generally use som heavy but rather lowcuffed alico leather boots and like them, but I think they are only a compromise between stiff downhill boots and soft kick-and-glide boots. I want stiffer/higher boots to use on mountaineering with my Aasnes Ingstad and some softer boots to use in flat terrain on narrower skis. I use voile 75mm 3pin bindings.

Any recomendations?

User avatar
lowangle al

Rank: XCD Guide
XCD Guide
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Re: 75mm boot recomendations

Postby lowangle al » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Welcome to the forum. I am almost to the point that I can consider the T4 as a quiver of one boot. It's only 2 ounces per boot heavier than my leather boots yet it gives me the edge control of plastic boots, specificaly my T2 ecos. I've used it with my skinny dbl camber skis as well as my powder boards with great success. There is no place I've ever skied that I wouldn't be comfortable in these boots. There may be poor conditions where I may need more boot but my goal is to avoid those.

I found that the low cuff of the T4 made it ski like my leather boots but with more control. If you want to try a higher cuff boot I recommend going with a three buckle as opposed to four. IME the higher and stiffer you go when moving up in boots the more different they will feel and it will take longer to get adjusted.

User avatar
Woodserson

Rank: XCD Guide
XCD Guide
Posts: 886
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: 75mm boot recomendations

Postby Woodserson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:41 pm

Do you want one boot, or two boots?

I agree with Al, I'm loving my T4s. I have the Eco's but keep going for the T4s and then ski accordingly.

If you want two boots I'd throw in the softer Alpina Alaskas for the flat stuff. I'm basically down to two boots now, T4s and Alaskas, I have no use for any of the others... or I should say I have use for them but I never grab them and they are all collecting dust.

Ingstad91

Rank: XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 am
Location: Lillehammer, Norway

Re: 75mm boot recomendations

Postby Ingstad91 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Woodserson wrote:Do you want one boot, or two boots?

I agree with Al, I'm loving my T4s. I have the Eco's but keep going for the T4s and then ski accordingly.

If you want two boots I'd throw in the softer Alpina Alaskas for the flat stuff. I'm basically down to two boots now, T4s and Alaskas, I have no use for any of the others... or I should say I have use for them but I never grab them and they are all collecting dust.


Thank's for the replys! Finally a forum with experienced people and the knowledge I'm searching for ;) Yes I want two pair of boots, I think the Alico march boots is to low and don't give the support that I want. On the other hand when doin cross country skiing I miss the good kick-and-glide feelin from my softer and spindly NNN-boots, but theese can only be used in finished trails.

How is the sizing of the Scarpa's and Alaskas? My local dealer doesn't have them in stock so I can't try them before buying. I use mainly EU 43-44, but my Alicos is size UK 9 (43).

User avatar
t-$

Rank: XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:29 am

Re: 75mm boot recomendations

Postby t-$ » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:23 am

hey, my input is limited, however i have tried on a couple pairs of the fischer bcx line. my opinion (again, only trying them on, never skiing them) is that they are softer than leathers and for sure softer than plastics. they might be what you are looking for. i think they would give great performance for k&g. from what i've heard and read about the alaska 3pin version, the duckbill doesn't last very long. maybe i'm wrong on that, as i only have the nnn version.

anyways, i would rec that you get your hands on some bcx 6 if possible. they seem like a great boot and maybe right in the sweetspot for the characteristics you are looking for. good luck!

User avatar
fisheater

Rank: XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:06 pm
Location: Oakland County, MI

Re: 75mm boot recomendations

Postby fisheater » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:36 am

Welcome Ingstad,
I ski the Alico Ski March boot and I enjoy it very much, however everybody is different. One suggestion for the Alico boot is when on flatter terrain and only kicking and gliding, you will have greater range of movement if you only click the Voile binding down one click. I also own a T-4, but I have not had it on yet this year. I skied all year on the Alico Ski March boot and alternated between an Asnes USGI surplus ski, and an Asnes Falketind 62 ski.
I wear the Alico boot in a British 10, and the Scarpa T-4 in a 28.5.

Ingstad91

Rank: XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 am
Location: Lillehammer, Norway

Re: 75mm boot recomendations

Postby Ingstad91 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:44 am

fisheater wrote:Welcome Ingstad,
I ski the Alico Ski March boot and I enjoy it very much, however everybody is different. One suggestion for the Alico boot is when on flatter terrain and only kicking and gliding, you will have greater range of movement if you only click the Voile binding down one click. I also own a T-4, but I have not had it on yet this year. I skied all year on the Alico Ski March boot and alternated between an Asnes USGI surplus ski, and an Asnes Falketind 62 ski.
I wear the Alico boot in a British 10, and the Scarpa T-4 in a 28.5.


Thanks for your post fisheater. How do you like the Falketind 62 with the Alico boots, and are you using riser plates on the Voile bindings? :)

User avatar
fisheater

Rank: XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:06 pm
Location: Oakland County, MI

Re: 75mm boot recomendations

Postby fisheater » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:53 pm

Ingstad, I am skiing the FT 62 mounted with a Voile 3-pin cable mounted flat on the ski. I live in Michigan, I ski on glacially deposited hills. My "good" verticals could be around 200 vertical feet. I will take the FT 62's on the trails to ski the open hillsides. Otherwise I ski the trails, with the double camber surplus skis. There is a lot of up and down on the trails and they are fun on both skis in the winter and mountain bikes in the summer.
If I catch the right conditions, there can be good dune skiing on the Lake Michigan shore.
I also ski the FT 62 at the lift served ski hill, which has 500 feet of vertical, but much of the terrain would be in the 30 degree slope category. At the ski hill is where I use the cables. I keep the cables in my camelback if I am trail skiing, and trying to grab some turns on the open hillsides. I really like the FT 62 as a touring to find turns ski, I also enjoy it as a skiing in leather boots at the local ski hill ski.
There is a review forum on this site. There is a review started on the new Ingstad, and a little more on the older model. We would enjoy reading your impression of that ski. Also any of your skiing photos would be most welcome on the Pictures Thread

User avatar
Woodserson

Rank: XCD Guide
XCD Guide
Posts: 886
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: 75mm boot recomendations

Postby Woodserson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:56 pm

t-$ wrote:hey, my input is limited, however i have tried on a couple pairs of the fischer bcx line. my opinion (again, only trying them on, never skiing them) is that they are softer than leathers and for sure softer than plastics. they might be what you are looking for. i think they would give great performance for k&g. from what i've heard and read about the alaska 3pin version, the duckbill doesn't last very long. maybe i'm wrong on that, as i only have the nnn version.

anyways, i would rec that you get your hands on some bcx 6 if possible. they seem like a great boot and maybe right in the sweetspot for the characteristics you are looking for. good luck!


I believe the 75mm Alaska problem has been rectified. I have the NNNBC version, my friend in VT has the duckbill, with no problems so far. Maybe someone else can second me.

User avatar
bgregoire

Rank: XCD Guide
XCD Guide
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:31 am
Location: Rimouski, Québec

Re: 75mm boot recomendations

Postby bgregoire » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:52 pm

For the softer boots...

If $ is not an ussue and you want long term comfort and durability, leather is key. Not necessarily the Alico type leather, but leather nonetheless. My recommendations from stiffer to softer: Crispi Antartica/Sydpolen or the like, Alpina Alaska or the very soft ALFA Advance. Last shape is another issue of key importance because you have to be comfy in your boot! Crispis come really narrow but can be stretched (footfitter), Alaskas have a normal to relatively narrow width (in my opinion) and the Alfas are wide.

IMHO, All those plastic/neoprene/plastic cuffed/fake leather/leather splotches (ex.: fiscer BCX6) might be super comfy at first but will very probably break before the aforementioned ones your smart ski partner owns. But hey, you might not care if they break earlier, or might not have that much money to spend on shoes, so then, well, its up to you, as long as you get out there and ski!

Oh and for the stiffer pair: if the T4 fit sucks, consider the Scott (Garmont) Excursion. Wider last and a little softer overall.

Enjoy the Ingstads! Wish i could!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM


Return to “Telemark Talk Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest