I think I need to upgrade from leather boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
dbp512

I think I need to upgrade from leather boots

Post by dbp512 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:39 pm

I'm a new tele convert, after picking up a set from craigslist. I had a lot of fun, but the skis were just too stiff for leather lace ups on eastern hardpack. I demoed what I could get my hands on, which wasn't much, but it still convinced me to get at least new boots.

My local store believes duckbills won't die out completely. As such, I could save a lot by only buying new boots (conveniently from them, who sold out of all their ntn bindings). I'm a grad student, so I certainly appreciate saving money anywhere I can, and there are many more boot options which I can more easily try in person.

But it seems like NTN is the way to go if buying anything new, especially since I'll probably end up on them eventually. Based on that, I'm thinking of getting an Outlaw X (you know, next season when they're back in stock). The skis I picked up are BD Machines, which are stiff carvers, so I want my binding active enough to keep up. On that note, how does the stiffness of the boot's bellows factor into this? I assumed they are just as important, so I'm leaning towards the Crispi Evo's for their stiffer flex (and tech heels), but I'm not sure if thats worth the potential hassle of ordering online.

Mountain Mitch

Re: I think I need to upgrade from leather boots

Post by Mountain Mitch » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 pm

You may be right that NTN will take over in the long run. But it will continue to be a gradual transition. I think duckbills will be around long enough to wear out another pair of boots!