XCD and NNN BC newbie

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MartinF

Re: XCD and NNN BC newbie

Post by MartinF » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:23 pm

I like the comparison, too - but I have a slightly different attitude to my hardtail. I like to take it to its (or rather: our combined) limits. That way, I get the adrenaline rush I might also achieve on heavy metal - but at lower speeds and usually on easier, though not necessarily totally unchallenging terrain. Most importantly, I get that rush in a lot more places than I could find for a bike with inches upon inches of suspension. I almost literally get it in my back yard.

I'm expecting about the same effect from XCD. There are no double-black diamonds on the hills around here and within two hours' driving distance - not many lifts, either (and none worth visiting). But I can select my equipment to have fun anyway... or at least, that's the plan. Discover what it can do (without trying to coerce it, but also without underestimating its eventual potential).

I find a lot of mountain-bikers miss what I regard as the true fun by rushing back to the shop to purchase more suspension every time they encounter a trail they can't (yet) ride. That way, they do progress to more difficult runs - but they don't work to get there, and they're invariably overpowered for what they are attempting to do. So they sacrifice one of the most enjoyable ingredients of progress: personal achievement. Even worse, they tend to overpower themselves to such an extent that they negate such skills as they do have. That's a kick-killer for anyone, however unambitious they may be.

To me, it's much more fun to discover how a relatively light bike needs to be handled for a particular trail. The heavy metal still has its place - but that place is one where 'big' bikes become almost essential, (ideally) where they are just about powerful enough to do the job. To need a bike that is a class or two above the terrain one is riding strikes me as a waste of opportunity.

I suppose the equivalent on nordic skis would be to equip them with AT bindings - and then never take them to a mountain worthy of the title.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:39 am

Your in for a "ride" when using those e99's....As you found out they don't instantly initiate...I angulate the bottoms and they will come around in a bit!!!!! If the conditions are right they will slice and ride beautifully and at times turn on a dime...Wicked and best selling ski of all time...They come in many different permutations...Totally fun! TM

MartinF

Post by MartinF » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:14 am

greatgt wrote:Your in for a "ride" when using those e99's....As you found out they don't instantly initiate...I angulate the bottoms and they will come around in a bit!!!!! If the conditions are right they will slice and ride beautifully and at times turn on a dime...Wicked and best selling ski of all time...They come in many different permutations...Totally fun! TM
My summer plan is to acquire a bit of routine using p-turns and the Salomons in the snowdome, while also learning the rudiments of telemarking. For the latter, I'm planning on following this video:

From posts here, I have already gathered that telemarking with NNN BC might require a higher and more compact stance than shown in the clip. So I am going to bear that in mind.

When I have the basics nailed with the Salomons, it will be time to take the E99s to the snowdome! I'm already looking forward to it.

Incidentally, XCD as such is more or less unknown here in Germany - or rather, the D element is news to most people. But I introduced the topic on a German alpine board, and the idea of messing around in the woods with simple XC skis wasn't unfamiliar to people who live in the Alps. A couple said they had fun with such equipment as kids after school.