Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:58 am

31o, not good! Higher up there will be kinda like what you said Phoenix. if it softens up what then? Skinny long or short. Wide klutzers? Gonna be sketchy. Will "vote" for low angle and as low down on the Hills as we can get. Back to survival skiing! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:21 pm

Wagh! bad as I thought. Headed up with Teleking and Telekid. Purple wax was decent. Got to where thw up picked up and is moderately steep with lots of steep hardwood skiing. I did the easy part and departed the other two for low angle down below. They appeared a half hour after I got Back and had started a fire in Boots place. They described a horror show of breakable, crushable nasty skiing. I had hit low angle and had a time of it on LOW ANGLE. They as I said were in some sharp drops with some runouts. Didn't matter the skiing was tough. Need 3-4 inches on the two feet of base but the weather reports don't look good. Everything looks so good. Rounded dips everywhere. 6-8 inches of pow and we will be squealing like oinks at the feeding trough. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:55 am

Low expectations but headed to the Highlands anyway. Breakable, crushable, binding grabbing snow. Very grey but figured Dead Moose Pond would be a decent short cruise. Waxed up the older version of 109's, (78-60-700 and they instantly made the trip better. Tiny up then a slow angle ski down and could make long nonaggressive turns. Like one every 30 yards. Figured Teleking or Telekid had been up there on their Rossi BC 90's because whoever, knew the best trip through all the growth around Dead Moose Pond. (We named it and I have the head and rack mostly eaten by squirrels on my shed.) Dead Moose Pond was quiet, and nothing seemed to be moving up there. Crossed the pond and headed p to Heartbreak hill and started down the low angle forest that is full of openings. The up trail was decent as was the crust with one inch of powder on it. Realized I had to get some new poles because they or a cc pole went through the crust. Ane that's when my face tasted the virgin snow. Moose tracks by the pond, like they wiped out the trail. Seems they like almost went to the Pond but getting near they backed off. When it was all done have to say for the conditions the gonz was pretty good. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:26 pm

Headed up to Telecamp and it was good. Trees were covered and bowed to ice and very white powder fused to it. Everything being bent made for limited vision. Looking up was a deep to lite blue with the sun twinkling off it. Breakable, crushed crust with @ an inch or two of powder. Some places it was boiler and others not so much. Beware! BUT on the down very skinny to wide skis all skied well for the conditions. At camp we fired up the stove and the BC fireplace. Heated the stone face up and we were able to cook on the open flame and the top of the stove. Wicked, wicked Venison and then a great burgher. Really, really good! Skiing out was thrilling as Telekid and I were on skinnies and Teleking on BC 90"s. and the others Telewood on some wide things and his buddy on wide skis with switchback bindings that broke in the bush. He and the "Boys" figured out a solution and bagawd it worked. great wild low angle ski out on wild conditions and everybody had a great time skiing LOW angle crust with speed and sometimes coming around. A blast! Excellent day. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:47 pm

Drifted into a zone that i hadn't skied in a decade. Avoiding whips was the ticket and if missed a price was paid. Only heard ravens out there and the ice falling off trees and snaping branches. Came across a wicked beaver lodge, had to be the queen's lodge. So Gonz. Good ski even though the whips were trying hard to rip me to shreds. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:04 pm

from breakable crushable crust to glazed over crust with it turning into faster than Hockey ice. It ain't good! Headed out but turned around and ripped whips alongside the zone below Teleknob. Waiting for powder! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:09 am

Scored one inch of powder and the cruising was good. Will hit some down today and see if the skis can handle those conditions on the down. Teleknob is our training hill with every kind of skiing a Hardwood Forest can provide. TM

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:28 am

NOAA says you may get another4-6 inches in the next three days; hope that helps.
Reading about “Alaska Pox” prevalent in voles…
I recall Telecamp 1A had a plethera of voles; one ran up my leg..I jumped, landed on him/her… then after we threw the carcass out in the snow, the mate came out and huddled over he corpse… a sad tail.
The other time a camp vole bit one of us; later in the day he (the skier, not the vole) broke his leg. Bad karma?
(T-shoes and son sledded him out 1-2 miles after we splinted and secured his legs together)…always handy to have a sled…
PS I don’t think we need to worry about pox, or viruses; we always heat the frying pan before cooking.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:39 pm

Hey Rock! Miss you up here! Hope to do a decent ski from the end of the Highlands down to the main road. The upper part looking North was outstanding. Need some powder and if we get what you are saying might do it this weekend. Thinking Teleking is over in Maine on that tour where the tour masters provide food at different camps that you ski to. Been careful heading out anywhere as the conditions are sketchy but if we get six inches, good times will be had. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:57 am

3-4 inches of powder on hardpack with a crushable crust that we did NOT hit. Powder was really soft and floaty, on 4 inches. cruised into the Highlands early and it was cold. 12o and windy. Sun though and where the wind wasn't pleasant is the word. Headed out and got to Boots place and had some brews. Boys from Little Mountain came down and they were ripping. Telewoods his friend and Telekid. Everybody had a great time. I hit a very low angle tree zone running the skis flat and had them come around on rounded arcs with no effort. Fun day! TM