Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 am

Don't know if it will continue but this is the best start to skiing in my memory....It's DEEP out there....Since my e 109's and 99's were getting glued used some older style "Western " skis the Noodles that I got from Dostie....They are so at home in any kind of powder....really do the down deed so well...but....the heaviness is detrimental to my beater knees so.....will take the clamps off the skis and see to breaking duties....Thinking the skinnies will slay the powder out there...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:39 am

Branches and saplings are hanging heavy.....Beech are troublesome with leaves still on....On the down it's an avalanche of debris on your head.....Leaves and snow making for a wild white shower....Tastes good though! Best November ever! Tomorrow will head to Tele camp and see what's happening way out in the gonz......Long skinnies will do the deed and visuals should be way up there....Couple of fires and some excellent grub will make up for the predicted rain...."More base"........Oh yeah! Teleman

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:49 am

Went with Rebounds, as the Boys talked me into bones for the day....Intimate is the word as each individual was sealed off by the white landscape...Rain ice, rhyme, hoar frost, and heavy powder on every branch sapling and twig....No problem crossing the pond but started clumping up in the softwood band around the pond and any North facing area where the powder held on. Teleking was not impressed when he saw the bottoms of my skis with grime leaves and other debris....Scraped it off put on some slider glider and all was good....Teleking and Telekid set up a wonderful trail made for wax and cruising...Camp was in excellent shape with a door blown open...Some snow inside. 5 foot drifts and quiet out there....Somehow got a fire started and all was good...No food but a couple of brews and life was good...Boys went up higher for more turns but this oldie slid down hitting this ridge or that and had really good feeling turns....Waited by a slow running stream and soon the boys showed up...Man were we a mess...Winds came up and forest debris was coming down and we were targeted....Excellent ski with 20-30 inches of consolidating snow...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:02 am

Consolidated with an inch on top....Hockey type tele turns and not linked....Fun "shots" with skinnies crushing in about a half inch making for "touring" and wonderful visuals...TM

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:06 am

Thanks for the updates GT. Attached is sunrise from my deck. Brrr; only 61 degrees this morning in the Keys.
BD04313B-D131-42EB-BC2F-346E7DA268F2.jpeg

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:54 am

Wicked cold Rock!!!!! Temps are set to dive around here today....Well below zero tonight???? Yesterday Telekid and I headed up Little Mountain and got humbled....man the Hill was tough with a crush crust with a couple inches of pow on top....TeleKid headed up to the top as I contoured over to Wind Gap, ripping whips the whole way....Knew going down was going to be way harder than going up but....Shots with a slight smear at the end....I mean across the fall line with very little vertical taken off...time and time again....using a hundred yards this way then back...Over and over again...Will this ever end??? Figured it was me blindingly stomping on my awesome 99's....Going up WICKED!!!! going down was survival....Got to Boot's place where he was firing up the wood stove....Later Telekid cruised in....Horror show!.....Survival skiing......He on the widest ski he has...S Bound Boundless....The mountain kicked our asses no matter the ski....Oh well! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:20 am

Yay! Got a set of Rossi double buckle leathers back from the Cobbler in Barre Vermont....Oh yeah!....Three lace up and a sorta new set of doubles....Now will have to take on the crust again in a low angle silent ski into nowhere...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:05 am

Good workout on less than wonderful base....4 inches of fluff on grabbing crust....But the trail is set again and the Boys have a broken trail to the upper point of Heartbreak hill.....Moose crushed some of our trail....Has anybody else noticed that?.....TM

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:51 am

I can live with moose tracks on the trail. It's the bike riders, postholers, horse riders and dog mushers whose brake digs a trench right down the middle of the trail on the steep sections that piss me off.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:49 am

That too.....But have noticed over the years that Moose in their zone squish out ski trail...Don't know if they like the feel of the ski trail or it is felt as a threat to them...TM