Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Have skied skis with the same dimensions and what should be more the less the same, isn't...it's the length....The old Rebound is to short at 179 and a lot better at 189....When I make hasty decisions it usually a couple of shots a few skis and then Telekid gets the newish skis....Outtabounds and Boundless come to mind...Both at 179 cause we couldn't get the longer ones....having read as much as I can on the e109 and your descriptions also LC got the wax able version of 109's...I hope.... Anyway Fischer has made skis that are really decent in powder....They seem soft and easy flexing....Need to see some cold pour down from the North soon....To HOT! TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:19 pm

greatgt wrote:got the wax able version of 109's...I hope....
Unless they send you some old leftover stock- they will be the waxable "Tour" model. Pretty sure that Fischer has not made a waxless E-109 Crown for a couple of years.

If you have trouble getting an E-109, you can probably get an Ingstad from Neptune:
https://www.neptunemountaineering.com/
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 am

That would be outstanding....Like the old 109's anyway just need them longer....Remember up on Wheelock Mountain just after they logged it....(old Growth) gawd that was nature at it's best....Telesven and I headed them down after a short ski in...(about 400 verts)....Then...1300 down.....Found openings in the cut zone...followed gully's....and the 190--109's were fantastic....Being an oldie figured to get something a bit wider than the 99's....after a decade of thinking!!!!! Also figure the length should give me more finesse and support on the down...Have really long 99's for cruising but hope the 109's are up to that task as well.... Really like wax so hope to hell they are waxable....Will see! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:35 am

Interesting that Sugar Maples are turning in some instances prior to Red Maples....Color is happening and there was from a distance a red background glow up in the Highlands...Need tons of rain!...Telekid has been without water for over a month...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:08 am

Lots of leaves blowing around and the sky has been lighting up....Looks like a killing frost tonight, will see...Been looking at my leathers...gotta wax them up...Beer at Stowe today...If there is time will check into Mountain Opp's and see if I can see my new skis.....Don does a great job over there....Will put on leather knickers and my Tyrolean felt hat and dance with my little Grand Daughter.... Teleman

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:38 am

Sooo was told by Don at Mountain Opp's that the order for his Nordic skis was not in yet....He was told that was the only e109 of it's kind sent to the US this year....Just a tinge of shakiness as to what I have done...Oh well, Telekid might get a slightly used new ski! Teleman

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:55 am

greatgt wrote:.He was told that was the only e109 of it's kind sent to the US this year....Just a tinge of shakiness as to what I have done...Oh well, Telekid might get a slightly used new ski! Teleman
I cannot for the life of me figure out the lack of interest in the waxable E99/E109 "Tour" models in the northern states...
They are- without a doubt- the most popular backcountry Nordic touring skis in my neck of the woods...
I know- I know- grip wax is challenging further south, but I would think everybody west of here- from Maine to Montana- would be touring on long, traditional, waxable touring skis...

TM- you thinking of selling your E109 already?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:25 am

No...no....Just speculating on how Telekid has a good stable of slightly used skis....The 109 should be a wonderful cruiser and lots of fun on the down....Far as wax it changes from year to year...and by the particular ski...Going mostly up means more of a soft wax.....cruising a harder wax....Last two years even polar worked well...Wax can do such wonderful things...Up down or cruising....Breaking....On the hard crusts lots of re application....Not so sure the cold is much different up there in Brunswick....Will have to start to give Temperatures with reports...TM

STG

Post by STG » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:33 am

Agree with lilcliffy. Long, traditonal, waxable touring skis are the way to go for touring especially in the colder conditions that I experience in SW Montana. Last season I used kick wax on my Asnes to climb/tour instead of skins with good results. I still have environmental concerns with ski wax and I hope the technology will improve. But I also realize the glue on the skins can be problematic too.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:57 pm

STG wrote:Agree with lilcliffy. Long, traditonal, waxable touring skis are the way to go for touring especially in the colder conditions that I experience in SW Montana. Last season I used kick wax on my Asnes to climb/tour instead of skins with good results. I still have environmental concerns with ski wax and I hope the technology will improve. But I also realize the glue on the skins can be problematic too.
How many cars at home? And what car do you ride? I do not want to sound rude, but things need to be put in context. If you already ride an electric car and need to eliminate petrol in all of your activity, then 2 thumbs up... The petrol & fluor in ski wax vs the petrol that it takes for an afternoon snowmobiling... or the petrol it takes to get you to your secret stash...

Still, your concerns are important...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique