Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:58 am

It sounds pretty good up there Gt. I had the same blustery conditions down here and I too felt the cold sting of powder on my face. Unfortunately it was from a face plant and not a face shot. I was using my new combo of leather boots and Vectors with a cable binding. The combo was perfect, the ski didn't feel too heavy for the boot and it turned well on the first hill and was fun. The second hill was a steeper and more skied up under the couple inches of fluff. My first run went OK as I kept my speed down to get a feel for things. My second run I felt confident and charged hard and before I knew it, face met snow.

This was my first crash in about 5 years since an AK powder day where I throw caution to the wind and I allow myself the freedom to fall because of the low probability of injury. I rarely wear leather and whenever I do and make aggressive turns I have a close call and slow down. It all boils down to conditions, smooth and consistent leather is fine, anything else give me plastic. I did like the combo though, but like the 3 or 4 other times I wore leather boots this season I got debilitating foot pain after about three miles.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:34 am

Can't say i have ever had an uncomfortable leather boot...and I have destroyed many!!!!! Sunday was a fog and the ski out was good but I'm not sure.....Low energy and to much beer.....Trees seemed a bit closer than normal....The boys looked good....Telekid, Teleking and Telewood....They had the big skis on and easily surfaced for easy turns...Skinnies would amp up but at any time loosing speed they sliced in...Way in!....Teleking had the BC 90's and they seemed to do a good job....Got to Boot;s place and it had a good fire going in the "Penthouse"......(shell for a horse barn) `Took a day to recover so will have an easy ski today up in the Highlands....TM

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:52 am

They are comfortable but still hurt my feet, that's the sad part.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:05 am

Strange day yesterday~....Rolling up to the highlands and the windshield kept getting wet with fine tiny balls of rain with no visibility of the stuff coming down...The temperature rose and fell between 24o and 28o....Strange figured it was me...Hit the trail at 2200 feet and the snow had a fine crust....All the trees were in rhyme ice, at 24o.....The 215 e99's broke the trail easily as I had been up there the day before....In the Trees and more steepness the 99's would instantly surface build up speed, but the moment you hit anything with steepness they would slice to the depths and the ski would slow and stop....Bummer! for the conditions need a wider surfatizer.....but these conditions only come around rarely....I know the Noodles would smash this stuff but they are clunky on the flats and heavy on the up...So just suck it up and hope for consolidation and then.....S turn Tele...TM

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:19 pm

When the snow gets too deep you need either a bigger hill or bigger skis. I went about 11.5 miles and climbed 2000' today with T4s and Charger BCs. Awesome, one of my best powder days ever, in Pa.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:26 pm

67DB73E4-8EC5-47DE-8D12-4D588A2802F4.jpeg
6.5 miles and 1600’ we’re doing laps on this in addition to some tree runs.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:51 am

Looks like fun and nice conditions.....yesterday was in 30 inches to three feet....With a bit of consolidation twill be fantastic.....Cruised up to the Highlands on non cruisers....Broke to the top of a small knob with skis that didn't like doing the job....On top headed down and the Noodles broke free and didn't go under.....Very nice laid back arcs were had....everywhere....Till we get consolidated the shinnies are done .....Bummer....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:34 am

used the Noodles to head up to Tele Knob in the hardwood forest....used extra blue and then some pink under foot....Still they were not good on the up....Got to the top (not far)...while the winds blew......causing lots of rhyme ice to hit my helmeted head....making me remember two years back when i broke my head and had bleeding of the brain....Couldn't see far as all saplings and branches are curling down in the deep powder and rhyme ice....Did a bit of a dip and stopped and took the wax off...Right ski...fast....left dragging....stopped took the rest of the wax off.....Both skis were now fast and they left melting snow in their wake...In everything but the down the Noodles pretty well ...uh...disappoint....Nice ski and a good workout...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:11 am

Tried the skinnies yesterday and they felt great on the ski in and were terrific on the up....Same old on the down...surfatize sped up then one of the skis would drop way down making for a not very smooth ride...Back to the big clunky skis...Oh well! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:58 pm

yesterday a long cold ski that warmed us all up....Telesven and his son...His son did ALL the breaking and weren't we some happy with that...they skied down by Moose Knob....I hung on a ridge and getting waaay laid back one long arc at a time.....slow down and the skis stop.....So did that while they looked for sheds down where we used to find them....Great day.....
GULLY....found it and it is VERY GOOD>>>>only got in it here and there....Way above me it looked great but needs some loving care...Spring will ring and the Gully will be cleared and given the TLC something like this deserves....TM