Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:46 am

Few days makes a huge difference....Any crust is long gone with up to 8 new inches of wonderful powder....used the skinnies and the feel was why I head out each day to ski....109's were in dream land as they flew in wicked fast powder on the flats....Going up was a bit tricky as I should have, could have, and would have but didn't stop to put it on....Flight!!!!!....don't think those skis ever touched anything on the down as the powder was a cloud of mist as the skis did their thing and i just relaxed and went along for the ride....At the bottom couldn't think.....just grin....Flew back to the car and like the dream powder just settled....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:17 am

First day in February where the roads started to show how powerful the SUN has become....Saw Telekings truck and got ready to ski...Swish i heard and there was Teleking ending his ski of 4 miles and some, as he said, great powder skiing....Figured he was done but he flew up the up trail and I had to work to keep up....When we left the trail and slipped into the woods Teleking made a really good zig-zag trail up into a quiet powder world with sharp short drops and mellow run outs in a beautiful Hardwood forest.....Had to de-wax and the skis were fast....Powder comes in a zillion varieties and this day it was as good as it gets...Skis rose to the surface and turned easily with speed drops and run outs....Were going to take pictures but the snow and the environment and our desire to float and create monomarks was over powering....Totally laid back fast powder blowing arcs...beautiful rounded floating turns....GAWD!...After the knob headed down an ancient horse logging road and the turns came fast and furious....It became the ski in Valhalla....Rounded left straight shots....rounded right....Snow flying up around us....Today will end this chapter but the snow is deep and we have March to boost our craving....Sugaring is starting with Rastatele and Telesven doing most of the work now with me advising!.....Even Telekid is showing signs of getting re involved....Grand daughter too.........SPRING.....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:43 pm

Turns, steak, beer.....Heading out wasn't to bad with 6-8 inches of powder with heavy below....Got camp going and headed out to see....what to ski....People had some good rounded turns and lots of speed...We all thought would remain on the surface...(4-6 inches in on turns)...Headed over to the "sunshine side....heh....Lots of hardwood and openings generally not to tough...I set the camera up and down they came.....when....they sorta started to get a bit herky- jerky....Then Teleking roared by me with one ski behind the other and with serious will power didn't go fdown but...heh....Telekid is smooth doing the rounded thing till he hit the lower area and started to sway...For a moment saw nothing as he went into a snow cloud and in deep....Got the steaks going....had some beer....Headingdown was fast and one could go in anywhere...Good ski and the snow is deep!!!!! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:04 pm

ROCKER.....Don't like it one bit...OK on the down the 109's rock....But my old beater non rockered 109's rock too....On the up the shovel tends to give it up as does the tail and then the skis begin to slip....Last few days it has happened several times and .....anyway I think LC wrote about this a couple years back and he had the goods....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:55 am

Three and a half inches on a crust that can be pierced....Run the skis flat....get into a rail..(extended skis fore and aft)....ride! So if you can hold that position you can and did have some nice laid back rounded turns with the snow swirling.....The knob i was on is recovering from logging 25 years or so....Loggers did a good job and it will be ready shortly for another cut....That means move to another knob!....Two thousand acres on this side of the road and 9000 acres on the other.....Plenty of room to get the goods.....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:27 am

Blue sky, snow plastered on the North side of trees.....powder had blown into the valley way down below...it sure wasn't on the up trail....Headed to the North side for less steepness and the riding was good with a single rounded arc here and there....At the bottom headed for an ancient horse logging road...which has far more steeps than a modern one....Beautiful cruise down till I hit a sustained drop....The old logging road had been used by modern equipment 20 years ago....so about 10 feet wide with billions of whips and trees on the sides.... The trail dropped....Being an old person and being solo I become pretty conservative....Dropped in and the 99's instantly picked up speed and continued to accelerate....wanted to turn out and stop....Not possible...locked in with crust busting skis going faster and faster....made the first twenty yard long turn going faster all the time and crust was blasting off into oblivion as i thought of a sitz fall but there was no way to survive it without injury....Rode it out with another long turn and a wild step turn....one ski on the crust and the other trying to find the snow....Survived that with a laugh....but it wasn't what I wanted to do.....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:03 pm

I got wide on a trail Saturday going into a tight turn. Thermometer had risen to 48F and stuck the outside ski into deep heavy slush. I had to turn now, big tree, no time for a sitzmark. Dive headfirst between two trees, survival skills are good. I had a good laugh afterwards!
I really do try to be more careful, and I really am. However skiing is skiing, things happen. Also no matter how much I try to be careful, when I’m on my skis I’m not much more grown up than I was when I used to run as fast as I could to slide across ice puddles. Funny thing is that the older I get, the more I enjoy sliding on snow, the louder the chuckle after hitting the ground, well unless it hurts too much. Teleman I don’t think you’re going to grow up any faster than me, but you might want to take those E-109’s out a bit more often!
Cheers

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:23 am

Right!.....So took off the 109's and figured more cruising than turns...That's when I melted snow and came close to ending my long term affair with e99.....yesterday took Rebounds up because they are SLOW....They have bones and that is enough to slow things down....Bout two hundred yards in wished I had those 99's on...109's are good on the down but lnot so good on the other two parts of BC Telemark....Cruising and heading up....Telekid says he left a good trail up Little mountain but the conditions were terrible...Not bad up in the Highlands though....Me, don't need many turns to have a great day....meaning a few wonderful arcs is more than enough even though miles can be had in getting them....If you come here Fisheater.....Will have to have some brews at Boot's place....A fellow UP Michiganer.....who doesn't know nothing and proves it in GOLF!!!! Almost beat him last year but will try again this summer....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:23 am

Man the steak was good on Sunday.....Up in the Highlands with Telewood...Telekid....Teleking....Teleking works hard out of cooking....really hard....but the last two Sundays up at camp he was a master of Steak.....Wicked good....Skiing was crusty but the skis could handle it and we all did our best when hitting low angle as the skis came around slow with the possibility of cracking and going under the crust.....Wax was ok with green on early which slowed me down on the down and was really decent on the up....Should have used Polar...oh well...Today will hit the Highlands again and see what's up....Figure this week will change everything and we will have a foot less of snow when push comes to shove....Arc on boys and girls.....Could use a two footer soon....Heh....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:57 am

Skied up Telekids early trail-breaking on Teleknob.....He used extra blue early and I used Red later....Went up great and while there was more crust than powder had a good run down....Especially enjoy seeing Telekids tracks....He was on BC90's ....I rode the 109's.....I mean blue sky and left over powder.....wonderful hardwoods.....silence....Raven communicating....I usually give them a caw.....often they respond....TM