New Nordic touring boot?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: New Nordic touring boot?

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:17 pm

bgregoire wrote: Keep in mind that the leather on these boots is thinner and more delicate than on the Alpina Alaska. if you ski ice crud, you might be surprised by how quickly you eat through them.
Are you speaking specifically of the Kikut Perform that has a nubuck leather (which is an oiled and brushed split leather) outer?
Or- are you also speaking of the Skarvet Advance that has full-grain leather outer?

The Alaska has an untreated split leather outer- though it is relatively thick- 2.6mm.

I would have thought that the Skarvet Advance would have thicker leather than the Alaska...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Johnny wrote: Seriously, I now love Alfa boots A LOT more than Alpina boots...! Seriously considering upgrading my whole fleet of Alpinas into Alfas... (I am also considering buying lottery tickets...)
What is is it about the Kikut that you prefer over the Alaska?

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Comparison of current Alfa Backcountry Nordic touring boots:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2098#p23577

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Actually lots of things I prefer over the Alpinas... Be patient, I need to play with them a little more... :D

BUT... My main concern is support... I mean, customer support. I have been in contact with Alpina Sports many times in the last decade. The people working at their offices in Montreal are super nice, very helpful. I even sent chocolates and a bottle of wine to the lady over there to thank them for their incredible help. Their North American headquarter is quite near, in Lebanon, New Hampshire. They are also very, very helpful down in NH. Very nice people with plenty of stocks of everything Alpina, and plenty of solutions for different problems.

My experience with Alfa? I also tried to contact them several times in the last decade. And I never received any reply. Not exactly what I am looking for in a customer experience. I do not think they have any reps here in North America. I am pretty sure spare parts would be very hard (impossible) to find. I wouldn't want to have to send my boots to Norway for 10 months for costly repairs.

What do you guys think?

Oh, also... Group order anyone? 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:38 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
bgregoire wrote: Are you speaking specifically of the Kikut Perform that has a nubuck leather (which is an oiled and brushed split leather) outer?
Or- are you also speaking of the Skarvet Advance that has full-grain leather outer?

The Alaska has an untreated split leather outer- though it is relatively thick- 2.6mm.

I would have thought that the Skarvet Advance would have thicker leather than the Alaska...
I was specifically speaking of the Skarvet Advance, full-grain leather outer because I own them. BUT I presume you should have the same effect on the Kikut. Besides, Alfa does provide the same warning for both boots on their website:

"Certain snow/crust conditions are an extreme strain on the shoes materials, and with use under such conditions increased wear is expected. "

https://alfaoutdoor.com/shop/ski-boots/ ... form-gtx-m

IMO, one of the biggest advantages of the Alfa's is its fit. Their lacing system is simple but top notch. As cool as they are though, I must agree they are a little too expensive full price. If you are in the need of a new pair of boots, just get the size 42 pair on sale that you found. Guessing from where its from, you should be able to return them no problem if you don't like em anyway. That way you can add-on to Johnny's upcoming and surely astounding review of his size 13 kikuts! Hey, there's only one pair left, would it not be sad if someone else reading this get to 'em first? ;)
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:42 pm

bgregoire wrote:Hey, there's only one pair left, would it not be sad if someone else reading this get to 'em first? ;)
Oops, YES! Cliffy, do you want them first, size 8 for 60$ + duties & taxes?

Ben, did you have direct experience with Alfa customer support? (Or with LaCordee?)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:16 pm

Johnny wrote: My experience with Alfa? I also tried to contact them several times in the last decade. And I never received any reply. Not exactly what I am looking for in a customer experience. I do not think they have any reps here in North America. I am pretty sure spare parts would be very hard (impossible) to find. I wouldn't want to have to send my boots to Norway for 10 months for costly repairs.
Well I have received responses to the few questions I had when I contacted Alfa via e-mail. Its true though that I did not receive emotional support, a free massage, or anything like that. But then again, I never sent them a bottle of wine so I guess it would not be a fair comparison to make Johnny! :lol:

There is a rep, or at least an importer based in Québec. I believe that is who La Cordée goes to or used to go through to place an order. I forget whom he is. I think he's the same person who imports Sporten skis.

Unless there was a serious defect in the boot that merited an exchange, I would not bother dealing with Alfa, being so far and all. For most minor repairs I think you would be better off visiting the local cobbler. They are mountain walking shoes after all!

Oh one thing that has bothered me with Alfa is that the US sizes on their size chart does not correspond with the US sizes in their boots. You have to use the EU sizes with them.

Have a look:
ALFA SIZE.png
For example, my size EU42 Trac APS shoes have UK8 and US8.5 printed inside. Now, if you look on their size chart for EU42, the corresponding sizes are more like UK8.5 and US10. Another thing to keep in mind is that the US sizes are different for men and women (about 1.5) and there is no mention of that on the chart or anywhere on their website...

Here are a few other examples:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1601.jpg
Curiously, their size chat its spot on for their EU46 boots:
s-l1602.jpg
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:58 pm

Johnny wrote:Actually lots of things I prefer over the Alpinas... Be patient, I need to play with them a little more... :D
Sigh...I will try my friend, I will try!
Oh, also... Group order anyone? 8-)
YES!!!!!!!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:05 pm

Johnny wrote:
bgregoire wrote:Hey, there's only one pair left, would it not be sad if someone else reading this get to 'em first? ;)
Oops, YES! Cliffy, do you want them first, size 8 for 60$ + duties & taxes?
Not sure if I am following you here my friend...
I found a pair of the Kikut Perform/Quest Dynamic for $225CAN- I am assuming that is what Ben is referring to...

I don't know if I am going to bite on them though...The Perform seems like a significant step down from the Alasksa..I might be disappointed...
They are half the price of the Skarvet/Quest Advance though...
Saving my pennies!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:00 pm

Size 8 is 41....surely too small for LC who is looking into 42s.