New Nordic touring boot?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: New Nordic touring boot?

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:52 pm

bgregoire wrote: I would actually say the Quest Advance (Skarvet) is a little of a step down from the Alaska in terms of stiffness.
This is VERY useful information my friend- thank you!
It molds extremely well to the ankle though which is a great plus in terms of support. Its got a wide toe box, unlike Alaska. The Quest Dynamic is a mini step down from the Quest Advance. The closest thing to the Alpina Alaska in terms of stiffness in Alfa's line up would perhaps be the new Guard Advance. Who is going to try out that 600$+ shoe for us?
Well- it is unfortunately out of the reach of my budget this year!
I am thinking that buying a 42EU Alaska BC is the the most logical and practical thing to do!

A Crispi Lofoten BC @ 229Euros is going to cost me at least $350CAN by the time they land in my kitchen- I can get a pair of Alaskas for $300CAN- and I know what I am getting...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:53 pm

t-$ wrote:If it ain’t broke, why fix it?! The Alaska’s are the bomb, I think we can all agree on that...
Agreed!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:16 am

lilcliffy wrote:Hey Johnny-
Cool!
How would you compare the feel/support/flex of the Quest Dynamic to your Alpina Alaska NNNBC?
In my mind, I have been thinking that the Quest Dynamic was equivalent to the Alaska, and that the Quest Advance was another step up in support and stiffness.
The Alfa boots are AWESOME! (Yes, in super BOLD)

More info on them soon in the review section... But compared to the Alaska, I find that the toe box is *slightly* narrower, not wider... But the overall volume feels bigger...

Seriously, I now love Alfa boots A LOT more than Alpina boots...! Seriously considering upgrading my whole fleet of Alpinas into Alfas... (I am also considering buying lottery tickets...)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:07 am

Johnny wrote:... But compared to the Alaska, I find that the toe box is *slightly* narrower, not wider... But the overall volume feels bigger...
hmmm...I certainly do not need more volume than the Alaska- its a good thing they are leather or I would never be able to gather up all of that material! Now- again- choosing a 42 over a 43 might go a long way to solving that problem...
BUT- even more volume- wow!
Seriously, I now love Alfa boots A LOT more than Alpina boots...! Seriously considering upgrading my whole fleet of Alpinas into Alfas... (I am also considering buying lottery tickets...)
This is news man! Wow- certainly makes me want to try something new! Too bad you don't also have a pair of Crispis for the ultimate comparison!
Been thinking of paying for a UTE magazine subscription- surely there is an updated review/test that includes all of these current boots...
Does the Alfa have a softer sole flex than the Alaska?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:18 am

Johnny wrote: The Alfa boots are AWESOME! (Yes, in super BOLD)
Thats right.
Johnny wrote:More info on them soon in the review section... But compared to the Alaska, I find that the toe box is *slightly* narrower, not wider... But the overall volume feels bigger...

Well, I believe the shoes you have in hand are way oversize! Im not convinced you would think the same comparing the 42 or 43 size lasts as I have done. There is no question in my mind and feet that the Alfas have a wider toebox at those sizes. I also feel they have more width along the sides of the foot. These boots are deisgned to be worn with thick winter socks. But I also find they mold your foot very well so unlike the Alaska, its easier to secure low volume feet (flat feet, thin feet, etc.).
Johnny wrote:Seriously, I now love Alfa boots A LOT more than Alpina boots...! Seriously considering upgrading my whole fleet of Alpinas into Alfas... (I am also considering buying lottery tickets...)
You have a fleet of Alpinas?!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 am

lilcliffy wrote: Does the Alfa have a softer sole flex than the Alaska?
They are very similar... But not exactly... More on this later... ;)
bgregoire wrote:
Well, I believe the shoes you have in hand are way oversize! Im not convinced you would think the same comparing the 42 or 43 size lasts as I have done. There is no question in my mind and feet that the Alfas have a wider toebox at those sizes. I also feel they have more width along the sides of the foot. These boots are deisgned to be worn with thick winter socks. But I also find they mold your foot very well so unlike the Alaska, its easier to secure low volume feet (flat feet, thin feet, etc.).
Mine do have a more narrow toe box than the Alaskas for the same shoe size. BUT... I'll clarify this on my review... They sure fit my feet much better than the Alpinas...
bgregoire wrote: You have a fleet of Alpinas?!
Only 7 pairs... ;)
(5 pairs of Alaskas, one pair of T5s and one pair of 1550s...)

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:06 am

bgregoire wrote: I would actually say the Quest Advance (Skarvet) is a little of a step down from the Alaska in terms of stiffness. It molds extremely well to the ankle though which is a great plus in terms of support. Its got a wide toe box, unlike Alaska. The Quest Dynamic is a mini step down from the Quest Advance. The closest thing to the Alpina Alaska in terms of stiffness in Alfa's line up would perhaps be the new Guard Advance. Who is going to try out that 600$+ shoe for us? :)
Hey Ben,
Trying to sort out the current Alfa lineup- from stiffest and most supportive?
1) Guard Advance (new boot)
2) Skarvet Advance (previously "Quest Advance"?)
3) Kikut Perform (previously "Quest Dynamic"?)
4) Rondane Core (previously "Quest Core"?)

Do I have this right?

I can get a Kikut Perform (Dynamic) for $250CAN- versus $500CAN for the Skarvet Advance (Quest Advance)...
When you say the Perform is a "mini"step-down...
What do you think?

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:20 am

lilcliffy wrote: Trying to sort out the current Alfa lineup- from stiffest and most supportive?
1) Guard Advance (new boot)

Do I have this right?
Yep. The Skarvet Advance and Quest Advance seem to be exactly the same boot. And from what I understand, the new 2019 GUARD Advance, seems to be even more supportive... Not a good thing for my credit card...

But Ben is the Alfa expert here, not me... The Quest Advance at 499$ @ La Cordee is quite tempting... :)

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:21 am

lilcliffy wrote: 1) Guard Advance (new boot)

Do I have this right?
Yes, you got it. Actually, this year Alfa has reverted to the naming scheme it used 4-5 years ago: Skarvet, Kikut and Rondane.
lilcliffy wrote: I can get a Kikut Perform (Dynamic) for $250CAN- versus $500CAN for the Skarvet Advance (Quest Advance)...
When you say the Perform is a "mini"step-down...
What do you think?
I actually do not remember handling the Kikut although I have had the Skarvet and Rondane in my hands before (I own the Quest Advance 75mm or Greenland as you know). Assuming the Kikut is between the two and comparing the charts online, The kikut is most probably a little less or the same in flex stiffness. For half the price, I would be happy with the Kikut. Keep in mind that the leather on these boots is thinner and more delicate than on the Alpina Alaska. if you ski ice crud, you might be surprised by how quickly you eat through them.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:47 pm

lilcliffy wrote: Been thinking of paying for a UTE magazine subscription- surely there is an updated review/test that includes all of these current boots...
Good idea, you can keep us updated on the very best. Only 99NOK for one month!

Unfortunately, it does not appear as is they have produced a new review of fjellskisko since the one we had a look at when it was free a number of years ago. However, i did find a new article about waxless mountain skis (fjellski), perhaps also known as XCd skis. Here:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

They have also reviewed the Alfa trac advance pure track cross-country ski boots which I own and thoroughly enjoy:

https://www.utemagasinet.no/test-av/alf ... dvance-gtx