NNN/NNNBC mounting pattern/ Nordic touring setup for young children

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy

XCD KNIGHT

NNN/NNNBC mounting pattern/ Nordic touring setup for young children

Postby lilcliffy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Does anyone have a universal Rottefella mounting jig?

I am wondering what the mounting screw pattern is for NNN versus NNNBC...

I am trying to set up a backcountry ski for my youngest children.

With my two oldest they suffered using short track touring skis- way too stiff and cambered for backcountry snow and terrain- with NNN until their feet got large enough for a NNNBC boot. My oldest daughter- very light and VERY athletic- actually hated touring on backcountry snow until she first slid on her beloved pair of Eons!

My two youngest children have been on Balla Hoks for a few years- fantastic for deep snow and yo-yo skiing- but, they are too slow for serious backcountry flying!

I am starting to think that I might put a NNN binding on a pair of 165cm Eons and then swap to NNNBC once their feet reach 36EU...

What do you think?

World's shortest and only kid-friendly backcountry Nordic Touring ski?
https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/mountain-race-junior/

Grip wax and kicker skin for a 5-year old- now we're talking!
The pursuit of XCD balance: cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry

fisheater

XCD Pinhead

Re: NNN/NNNBC mounting pattern/ Nordic touring setup for young children

Postby fisheater » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:53 pm

Gareth,
Forgive me if I am missing something. My initial thought is to make a paper template of each binding type for comparison. That being said, I will plug any holes with hardwood dowels and waterproof Titebond glue. It sounds like you know what will work best for skiing. I would risk scrapping a pair of Eons to hook a couple of ski partners for life.
Just saying...
Hopefully you will have somebody post, that thinks this through a little better ;)!

bgregoire

XCD Guide

Postby bgregoire » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:07 pm

NNN and NNNBC have the same exact mounting screw pattern. You might have to adjust the heel screw though.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny

XCD KNIGHT

Postby Johnny » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:38 am

Cliffy, with such a big family of skiers, I can't believe you are not buying my universal Rottefella Jig... :lol:

I also have a pair of Balla Hoks for the princess... Skiing with the same skis as daddy is kind of cool...!
(She also has 2 pairs of Asnes waxless XC skis for kids...)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy

XCD KNIGHT

Postby lilcliffy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Yeah- I do want that jig!
The Balla Hoks are just amazing bushwacking/yo-yo skis for kids in deep soft snow! My youngest spent countless hours climbing/skiing down a small hill behind our barn last winter!

Yeah- I wish I had bought a pair of the Mountain Race JR for Maeve!

I am thinking that the ideal would be a pair of 140cm Mountain Race to start and then a 165cm Tonje for the next step up...

Though I think I would want the waxable base...
The pursuit of XCD balance: cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry

Return to “Telemark Talk Forum”