NNN-BC boot fit advice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
satsuma

NNN-BC boot fit advice

Post by satsuma » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:50 am

I have been looking at Ebay and it is getting me interested in buying some new NNN-BC boots. My current boots are an older model of Alpina 1550 Size 44, which are adequate for the type of skiing I do on them (mostly flat, compacted snow, off-track), but have some problem with toe pinch. My skis are the very stiff Alpina Discovery 68's.

Although my normal shoe size is 10 1/2 (sometimes 11), Alpina's fit large and it's possible these boots are a bit long. I have never worn a 43 XC boot or a 28 downhill boot.

The possible choices would appear to be Fischer (Off-track 3 or 5) or Rossignol (BC X6)--at this point, size 44. Would either of these be an improvement?

Also, my track boots are Rossignol X6 (skate boots) size 44. These have some kind of thermofit adjustment and fit great. They are also much softer. My feet are fairly wide (used to where wide shoes, but I am back to regular), and I have a crooked big toe (bunion) on my right foot. I have also worn Salomon classic XC boots size 45.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: NNN-BC boot fit advice

Post by bgregoire » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Satsuma,

Generally, Fischer lasts are wider than Rossignol lasts.

I have wide feet too. 8.5 US. I usually wear 42 EU sized shoes but go up to 43 if the last is not wide enough. Given your foot size (10.5), I doubt you will be able to go down from 44 to 43 without a squeeze.

I used to own the Alpina 1550 and thought they were terrible too, for the very same reason. Terrible squeeze at the toes. I think this is probably a design flaw for this model. I recommend you try the 1600, Wyoming or Montana instead.

The Fischers you mention might be fine too although I personally avoid Rossi boots as they are often made cheapt with plasticky bits that fail rapidly.

Can you make it to a store where you could try a few models? That would be better than taking chances on ebay. Unless its a very good deal and you are ready to buy a second pair if the size is wrong!

Good luck!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Satsuma,

Generally, Fischer lasts are wider than Rossignol lasts.

I have wide feet too. 8.5 US. I usually wear 42 EU sized shoes but go up to 43 if the last is not wide enough. Given your foot size (10.5), I doubt you will be able to go down from 44 to 43 without a squeeze.

I used to own the Alpina 1550 and thought they were terrible too, for the very same reason. Terrible squeeze at the toes. I think this is probably a design flaw for this model. I recommend you try the 1600, Wyoming or Montana instead.

The Fischers you mention might be fine too although I personally avoid Rossi boots as they are often made cheapt with plasticky bits that fail rapidly.

Can you make it to a store where you could try a few models? That would be better than taking chances on ebay. Unless its a very good deal and you are ready to buy a second pair if the size is wrong!

Good luck!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks. Interesting that you had the same problem

The only brand carried by my local store is Rossi, I don't know what boots they sell.

Otherwise, its a 50 mile drive to REI in Kennewick that I can't make right now (working 7 days a week).

Satsuma.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Satsuma, the trick is to buy 4-5 pairs of boots online. Then return or sale back the ones that don't fit... That is pretty much the only option for specialized gear... This is what I have been doing for many years...

Too bad your 1550 don't fit your feet... I love mine A LOT...!

Bgregoire, are you trying to subtly raise your posts count to get a higher rank? ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Johnny wrote:are you trying to subtly raise your posts count to get a higher rank? ;)
How close am I? :mrgreen:

You got me thinking straight: I should drop the laptop and go hang with Cecilie.

Ciao!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:22 am

I miss Cecilie already... She looked so much taller on the big screen though... Probably due to the expedition double boots and risers...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Fischer's Offtrack BC boots are very soft and very comfortable- they are softer all around- including sole flex- than stiffer boots like the Fischer BCX6 (my family owns a pair of the 3 and the 5). The BCX6 has had lots of problems- hence why they are constantly being redesigned.

In the Rossi line- the Rossi BXC6 would compare to the Fischer Offtrack 5- the Fischer BX6 is much stiffer and more supportive than the Rossi BCX6.

The Alpina 1550 is on the same level as the Fischer Offtrack 5 and the Rossi BCX6.

I agree with Ben- the Fischer lasts are generally wider than Rossignol.

On the subject of toe/metatarsus pinch- the Rossi BCX6 is the only synthetic XC-BC boot that doesn't pinch my foot. I too had foot pinching issues with the 1550 I tried- and, I have a pair of older gen Fischer BCX6s that pinched my foot so bad that it took months for it to heal! The current Fischer BCX6 is reportedly much better.

I do not have any experience with the current Rossi BCX6, but I can say- despite the cheap construction- that the previous Rossi BCX6 has been the best value of any light-duty BC-XC boot that we have had in our fleet. It is comfortable and reasonably supportive and inexpensive. I have bought an entire fleet of them for my growing family in the off-season- I doubt that I have paid more than $80CAN new. They are cheaply made though- probably not a great used choice, as I doubt the long-term durability.

I cannot say enough about leather construction. If you want comfort and support in a Nordic touring boot- leather boots are it. Train the leather and dial in the custom fit. Treat the leather and it lasts for a decade.

From a boot perspective, I equate Nordic touring to hiking/backpacking/traditional mountaineering (i.e. "walking" in the mountains- not climbing mountains). I look for the same fit, support and flex in Nordic touring boots as I do in hiking/backpacking boots. Leather.

I know that I am considering trying a new boot- but, I cannot say enough about Alpina's Alaska boot. Even with my ridiculously low volume- wide metatarasus- narrow heel/ankle- and high arch- I can dial in a perfect fit. And my current pair has a ridiculous number of miles on them.

I know that the stiff flex of the Alaska seems overkill to many XC skiers- but I cannot say enough about the advantages of a stiff supportive mid-sole in a boot.

As an example- my Rossi BCX6 had a soft but decently supportive sole when I first bought them new- but I broke down the midsole in a couple of months! My Alaskas were stiff- but once broken in they are as supportive as the first season I skied in them.

A lot of buyers don't want to take the time breaking in a pair of stiff, supportive leather boots- I get it. But, this is becoming a major durability problem. A few years ago bought a pair of Scarpa Kinesis (their top of the line backpacking boot) to replace a decade-old equivalent Scarpa boot. The quality of the craftsmanship in the leather upper of the Kinesis is magnificent and after 3 years still as good as new- better in fact. The Kinesis was not stiff at all new- in fact it was very soft and comfy right out of the box. So soft in fact that I destroyed the midsole in one season- and wore the soft, grippy outsole off in a year- the sole on my right boot eventually cracked in half at the metatarsus! Two years ago I bought a pair of Scarpa Wrangells to replace them- and although they were damn stiff when new- they have broken in perfectly- have a comfortable but powerful flex to them- and the harder more durable outsole is still in excellent condition.

So- I like stiff, supportive leather boots- once broken in they fit perfectly and the soles last for years.
(As an aside- the Alaska upper is not stiff at all- it is the sole that is stiff. In fact- the upper on the Alaska is soft enought that I am considering much stiffer leather construction for my next boot...)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 am

lilcliffy wrote:Fischer's Offtrack BC boots are very soft and very comfortable- they are softer all around- including sole flex- than stiffer boots like the Fischer BCX6 (my family owns a pair of the 3 and the 5). The BCX6 has had lots of problems- hence why they are constantly being redesigned.

In the Rossi line- the Rossi BXC6 would compare to the Fischer Offtrack 5- the Fischer BX6 is much stiffer and more supportive than the Rossi BCX6.

The Alpina 1550 is on the same level as the Fischer Offtrack 5 and the Rossi BCX6.

I agree with Ben- the Fischer lasts are generally wider than Rossignol.

On the subject of toe/metatarsus pinch- the Rossi BCX6 is the only synthetic XC-BC boot that doesn't pinch my foot. I too had foot pinching issues with the 1550 I tried- and, I have a pair of older gen Fischer BCX6s that pinched my foot so bad that it took months for it to heal! The current Fischer BCX6 is reportedly much better.

I do not have any experience with the current Rossi BCX6, but I can say- despite the cheap construction- that the previous Rossi BCX6 has been the best value of any light-duty BC-XC boot that we have had in our fleet. It is comfortable and reasonably supportive and inexpensive. I have bought an entire fleet of them for my growing family in the off-season- I doubt that I have paid more than $80CAN new. They are cheaply made though- probably not a great used choice, as I doubt the long-term durability.

I cannot say enough about leather construction. If you want comfort and support in a Nordic touring boot- leather boots are it. Train the leather and dial in the custom fit. Treat the leather and it lasts for a decade.

From a boot perspective, I equate Nordic touring to hiking/backpacking/traditional mountaineering (i.e. "walking" in the mountains- not climbing mountains). I look for the same fit, support and flex in Nordic touring boots as I do in hiking/backpacking boots. Leather.

I know that I am considering trying a new boot- but, I cannot say enough about Alpina's Alaska boot. Even with my ridiculously low volume- wide metatarasus- narrow heel/ankle- and high arch- I can dial in a perfect fit. And my current pair has a ridiculous number of miles on them.

I know that the stiff flex of the Alaska seems overkill to many XC skiers- but I cannot say enough about the advantages of a stiff supportive mid-sole in a boot.

As an example- my Rossi BCX6 had a soft but decently supportive sole when I first bought them new- but I broke down the midsole in a couple of months! My Alaskas were stiff- but once broken in they are as supportive as the first season I skied in them.

A lot of buyers don't want to take the time breaking in a pair of stiff, supportive leather boots- I get it. But, this is becoming a major durability problem. A few years ago bought a pair of Scarpa Kinesis (their top of the line backpacking boot) to replace a decade-old equivalent Scarpa boot. The quality of the craftsmanship in the leather upper of the Kinesis is magnificent and after 3 years still as good as new- better in fact. The Kinesis was not stiff at all new- in fact it was very soft and comfy right out of the box. So soft in fact that I destroyed the midsole in one season- and wore the soft, grippy outsole off in a year- the sole on my right boot eventually cracked in half at the metatarsus! Two years ago I bought a pair of Scarpa Wrangells to replace them- and although they were damn stiff when new- they have broken in perfectly- have a comfortable but powerful flex to them- and the harder more durable outsole is still in excellent condition.

So- I like stiff, supportive leather boots- once broken in they fit perfectly and the soles last for years.
(As an aside- the Alaska upper is not stiff at all- it is the sole that is stiff. In fact- the upper on the Alaska is soft enought that I am considering much stiffer leather construction for my next boot...)
I found that I can rent Fischer BCX5's locally, sounds like it is worth a try. These are different boots for me, leather uppers, no support cuff on the back like the synthetic boots. Probably not as stiff as Alaska's. The Whitman College outdoor program matches these to Excursion 88's, which is a bigger ski than I usually use.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:25 pm

If anyone is interested--I ended up buying a used pair of Rossi BC X6 boots in 45. On rechecking the X6 (NNN) boots I have, they are also 45'x.

when I had 45 Alpina boots, there were too long, so when I bought the BC1550's, I bough 44's. My foot is a 10 1/2 (but 11 in some shoes) on the wide side, so the correct Alpina size would be 44 1/2. ;)

There is no toe pinch with the BC X6 boots. The left foot fits perfectly, the right boot is a little loose, I could wear a thicker sock or a second sock on my right foot next time.

The no-tie laces and lace cover are added pluses.

I had repair issues with the glued Velcro on both the BC1550 boots and the X6 boots. I'll just get it sewed back together when the glue wears out. Its an expensive ($30) but permanent fix.