I’ve lost track...what I should I get for XCD these days?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
snow-mark

I’ve lost track...what I should I get for XCD these days?

Post by snow-mark » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi all. Been a while since I’ve posted much here, but I’m aiming to spend more time skiing this winter than I have the last couple years. I have three pairs currently:

1. Madshus Epochs from 2010 (not sure if they’ve changed), with 3-pin cable bindings. I tend to ski these with Fischer BCX 875s.

2. Madshus Glittertinds waxable skis with 3pin. I tend to ski these with Alpina Alaskas.

3. Some old Kazama Mountain Highs. I ski these on flatter outings and when the snow is thin.

The Epochs are bit scraped up and I’m thinking of trying something new, probably around the same dimensions (not too much fatter, probably not skinnier). I can tele ok, not great. I ski in Colorado powder, often off trail. Trips tend to involve a good bit of climbing, occasionally a few laps when we find a nice spot.

I haven’t paid attention to all the new stuff over the last 5-7 years. Should I look at Fischer’s Sbound stuff? Poeple seem to like their Nordic Rocker. There’s also a local Asnes dealer.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: I’ve lost track...what I should I get for XCD these days?

Post by bgregoire » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:55 pm

You are one of those few with a local Asnes dealer nearby. I will not be the only one hear to suggest you should take advantage of your lofty position and splurge! As long as you choose the ski that fits your needs, you will be hard pressed to get a better built state of the art XCD ski. Check out Gamme, Nansen, Ingstad, Falketind 62 & 68: These skis run the full spectrum of the skis you already own.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:07 am

Hey snow-mark,
Are you looking for something more or different in a ski with similar dimensions to the Epoch?
Fischer's S-Bound 98 has almost the exact same width/sidecut but has a stiffer flex- as well some Nordic rocker in the tip. Which one is better- seems to depend both on the skier and the snow conditions. I don't find either of these skis to be wide enough to offer effective float in deep soft snow. Both of these skis are wide single-cambered XC skis- with some downhill characteristics (i.e. single camber, round flex, metal edges). Neither of these skis have the torsional rigidity of a downhill ski however- they are best on gentle to moderate slopes.

If you are looking for a similar design but want better flotation- the Annum and the S-Bound 112.

Asnes' 68 (once the Storetind, then the Falketind 68- this winter the Rabb 68) at first glance seems again to be another version of a "XCD 10th Mountain" (i.e. Epoch)- but the Asnes 68 is a completely different species of ski- compared to the Epoch/S-98. The Asnes 68 is a torsionally rigid downhill ski, with loads of rocker in the tip, camber underfoot, and a full-length stable, supportive flex. I have the Storetind- it makes the Epoch and the S-98 seem silly as downhill skis- yet the Storetind is also better as a XC ski! (The XC performance is only on soft backcountry snow) You can read my review of the Storetind in the Reviews section of this site.
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 pm

bgregoire wrote:You are one of those few with a local Asnes dealer nearby. I will not be the only one hear to suggest you should take advantage of your lofty position and splurge! As long as you choose the ski that fits your needs, you will be hard pressed to get a better built state of the art XCD ski. Check out Gamme, Nansen, Ingstad, Falketind 62 & 68: These skis run the full spectrum of the skis you already own.
Yeah, I will undoubtedly visit that shop, Neptune Mountaineering, an institution in this part of Colorado that has recently been giving new life (long story).

At the moment, their stock is limited to the Cecile, Nansen and Amundsen. I’ll check ‘em out thought.

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:48 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Hey snow-mark,
Are you looking for something more or different in a ski with similar dimensions to the Epoch?
Fischer's S-Bound 98 has almost the exact same width/sidecut but has a stiffer flex- as well some Nordic rocker in the tip. Which one is better- seems to depend both on the skier and the snow conditions. I don't find either of these skis to be wide enough to offer effective float in deep soft snow. Both of these skis are wide single-cambered XC skis- with some downhill characteristics (i.e. single camber, round flex, metal edges). Neither of these skis have the torsional rigidity of a downhill ski however- they are best on gentle to moderate slopes.

If you are looking for a similar design but want better flotation- the Annum and the S-Bound 112.

Asnes' 68 (once the Storetind, then the Falketind 68- this winter the Rabb 68) at first glance seems again to be another version of a "XCD 10th Mountain" (i.e. Epoch)- but the Asnes 68 is a completely different species of ski- compared to the Epoch/S-98. The Asnes 68 is a torsionally rigid downhill ski, with loads of rocker in the tip, camber underfoot, and a full-length stable, supportive flex. I have the Storetind- it makes the Epoch and the S-98 seem silly as downhill skis- yet the Storetind is also better as a XC ski! (The XC performance is only on soft backcountry snow) You can read my review of the Storetind in the Reviews section of this site.
Gareth
I’m not sure what I’m looking for. I’d love it if I could have more success with tele turns without too much sacrifice in touring efficiency. So maybe I should look at one of the fatter offerings?

I didn’t read through that entire Asnes thread but I gather the Rabb 68 is in the ballpark of the Epoch in terms of widths? Actually, looking at specs for the Falketind 68, it looks a little fatter.

So, assuming I can find a pair, you say these would be better turning skis for the downhill, but also better on the tour?

What kind of bindings/boots do you use with these skis?

Thanks!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:17 pm

The Asnes 68 (Storetind (ST)) is lighter than the Epoch and the S-Bound 98.
The ST is lower cambered.
The ST is torsionally rigid- makes the Epoch/S-98 feel ridiculous when pushed hard downhill.
The ST has a truly rockered tip- offers much more effective early-tip-rise.
The ST has a full-length stable flex- it is much more supportive both downhill and XC.

I am mostly using my T4s with a Voile 3-Pin-Hardwire binding on the Storetind.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.