3.6 vs 4.1 drill bit

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

3.6 vs 4.1 drill bit

Post by Woodserson » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:32 am

I have usually been mounting my skis with a 3.6 drillbit but I have a pair of skis with 4.1 written on the topsheet next to the drill icon. 3.6 works well with the Voile bindings I use, but I think I should defer to the ski manufacturer? There is not metal in the ski. Thoughts? I don't have a 4.1 I'd have to buy one.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: 3.6 vs 4.1 drill bit

Post by fisheater » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:53 pm

I use SAE sized drill bits, and make the metric conversion. I have a set that has a lot of 64th and 32nd sizes. I've been doing it since the 80's, alpine and Telemark. Not saying it's the correct thing to do, but I will stay with it. I think that I am really being professional when I use electric tape to make a shoulder stop. I started in the tool shops before I went into the construction industry. I held a lot of +/- .0001" tolerances, I don't see the need to be that precise with skis. Btw I didn't make a mistake with the decimal point

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:58 pm

So just go with what I have in the 3.6? I didn't know if there was a technical reason when the ski doesn't have metal. I hear a titanal layer wants the 4.1 for some reason (according to Tognar) but if the 3.6 has been working for me in all my skis I couldn't puzzle out a solution.

I'm a pretty big hack too, I have/had electrical tape stops too (until I bought a jig and a bit) and it was always good enough.

Anyway, thanks for the confidence

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:21 am

The titanal layer can bubble up if the pilot hole is too small. I have planed those little bubbles with a sharp wood chisel to keep the mounting surface flat. The bubble I planed has always been top sheet.
If I was running a shop, I would be by the book. It would be a PITA, to start over. However, you could turn the first screw in and pull it to check results. I would just use a little bit of Titebond for lubrication for the first time in.
Good luck, waiting for the first Chuck Flannel video of the winter of 18/19!
Btw. I did the math, the difference between 3.6 mm and 4.1 mm is .021". 1/64" is .0156". I don't believe it is significant.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:43 pm

Usually, if you have a metal plate reinforcement, the recommendations will go for 4.1... If the ski is solid wood, it will be 3,6... as simple as that...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Rodbelan wrote:Usually, if you have a metal plate reinforcement, the recommendations will go for 4.1... If the ski is solid wood, it will be 3,6... as simple as that...
Well, yes, as I mentioned. My question was more why would a non-metal ski ask for 4.1?

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:26 pm

Woodserson wrote:Well, yes, as I mentioned. My question was more why would a non-metal ski ask for 4.1?
What skis you got? Could you be wrong about the metal? Is there metal just in the binding plate? Or perhaps carbon fiber in the topsheet? Using 4.1 for a non-metal ski seems unicorn rare to me.

Softer materials such as wood or plastic will compress when driving a screw into a 3.5mm hole. You should use the 4.1mm bit for non-compressible materials like metal and carbon so the shank does not compress and damage the material while being driven into the ski.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:33 am

Agree with DNT... What is the ski? Sometimes, you need to drill to find out about the metal retaining plate under the binding location... The makers aren't so specific about it, specially if you take the touring skis; I had once to talk to several different techs from Rossi to figure what was that plate in the new and lightweight Seek 7...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:21 pm

It's an Atomic Bent Chetler 100. As far as I know, no metal.

But then there's also a Black Crow Camox Freebird lurking around the basement with a titanal re-enforced binding area and they say to use a 3.6.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:49 pm

Maybe then it's due to what Atomic calls the "ultra-lightweight carbon insert that runs the length of the ski like a stabilizing backbone." In any event, I see no harm in using the 4.1 bit.