Some feedback on this combination...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Re: Some feedback on this combination...

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Inspiredcapers wrote:Karhu XCD GT ski (length: 195cm), sidecut: 83-62-70; Waxless
This is the last generation XCD GT and it is identical to the Madshus Eon- both of which are made in up to 205cm length. The Omnitrack waxless scales are very good (for a waxless scale)- the pattern and orientation are for XC skiing traction.
My family has this ski in multiple lengths in both the waxless-Omnitrack and the sintered waxable base. My personal pick is the 205cm Eon Wax. For reference, I am 5'10" and weigh 185lbs. I have the 195cm as well and I much prefer the 205cm.
This is a very popular distance-oriented Nordic touring ski- and for good reason- it has a soft manageable flex making it very manageable on moderate slopes (As Al points out it is certainly not a downhill ski)

Other options with similar width/flotation (compared to XCDGT/Eon):
1) Fischer E-109: stiffer underfoot- faster
2) Fischer Excursion 88: wider- better flotation; stiffer flex- faster
3) Asnes Combat Nato/Ingstad: more supportive flex; faster; fantastic deep snow performance
4) Fischer E-99: stiffer and more cambered- MUCH faster
5) Asnes Gamme 54: same as E-99

The XCD GT/Eon may seem "wider" than the E-99/Gamme 54, but it is so soft that the XCD GT/Eon is completely unstable when XC skiing in very deep snow. The E99/Gamme 54 are actually better in deep snow than the XCD GT/Eon.

If you are planning on doing some serious trekking- carrying/pulling some weight- I am thinking that you are going to quickly want a ski with a more supportive flex...

There are loads of reviews on these skis on the Reviews Board.
Lots of food for thought here. At this point I’m not confident regarding a ski I need to wax, leaning more towards just putting them on and going. You’re absolutely correct regarding supportive flex, I do plan serious trekking and don’t want to waste energy on something that’ll be too soft. The Excursion 88 looks appealing. I’d like to step up to the Asnes but I think experience is needed before I take that plunge.
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.