Some feedback on this combination...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Some feedback on this combination...

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:50 am

Hello Telemarktalkers,

The last couple of years have seen me shift away from lift serviced skiing to exploring all the great areas I hike here in SouthEast British Columbia. I’ve been bombing around on my Altai Hoks (lotsa fun) and snowshoes. I’m ready to expand my horizons. I’ve located this combination for sale: Karhu XCD GT ski (length: 195cm), sidecut: 83-62-70; Waxless; Binding: 3 pin from Voile; Comes with BD mohair/synthetic kicker skins; Alpina BC 2175 boot. My main interests are logging roads (a lot of them will have snowmobile tracks but there’ll be room for skiing) and snowed over hiking trails. There will be a lot of elevation changes in my jaunts but I don’t plan on steep descents for awhile.

As far as the Karhus go, they seem about right for me (6’ tall, 190#, will often have a 15# pack for daylong excursions).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Re: Some feedback on this combination...

Post by 1EyedJack » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Go for it!
Classic backcountry setup.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:23 pm

They are a fine ski for logging roads as long as you are more focused on the XC aspect. The problem I have with them is that they need a lot of input to turn. They do not respond to subtle edging like all of my other skis do. I think it's due to being too soft in the tip and lack of tortional rigidity. When you lean them over the tips do nothing to help initiate the turn.

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:01 pm

I'm surprised at the XCD GT dimensions. I have a 90's-era pair and they're much slimmer. I'd have thought more like 68 mm at the shovel. At 190 lbs. plus 15 lb. pack you might want longer skis as mine are 190 cm and I'm 150 lbs. It will be a kick and glide BC set-up. I ski mine on Arkos leathers and, as Al mentioned, carving pretty turns aren't what they do best. Enjoy getting out there. Any snow yet?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:53 pm

martin2007 wrote:I'm surprised at the XCD GT dimensions. I have a 90's-era pair and they're much slimmer.
Same name but very different class of ski. Karhu kept up with the trend towards fatter and more sidecut at the years went by.

I don't believe you can find any longer than 195cm for that version of the XCD GT. It's a fine length for the OP IMO.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:39 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:Karhu XCD GT ski (length: 195cm), sidecut: 83-62-70; Waxless
This is the last generation XCD GT and it is identical to the Madshus Eon- both of which are made in up to 205cm length. The Omnitrack waxless scales are very good (for a waxless scale)- the pattern and orientation are for XC skiing traction.
My family has this ski in multiple lengths in both the waxless-Omnitrack and the sintered waxable base. My personal pick is the 205cm Eon Wax. For reference, I am 5'10" and weigh 185lbs. I have the 195cm as well and I much prefer the 205cm.
This is a very popular distance-oriented Nordic touring ski- and for good reason- it has a soft manageable flex making it very manageable on moderate slopes (As Al points out it is certainly not a downhill ski)

Other options with similar width/flotation (compared to XCDGT/Eon):
1) Fischer E-109: stiffer underfoot- faster
2) Fischer Excursion 88: wider- better flotation; stiffer flex- faster
3) Asnes Combat Nato/Ingstad: more supportive flex; faster; fantastic deep snow performance
4) Fischer E-99: stiffer and more cambered- MUCH faster
5) Asnes Gamme 54: same as E-99

The XCD GT/Eon may seem "wider" than the E-99/Gamme 54, but it is so soft that the XCD GT/Eon is completely unstable when XC skiing in very deep snow. The E99/Gamme 54 are actually better in deep snow than the XCD GT/Eon.

If you are planning on doing some serious trekking- carrying/pulling some weight- I am thinking that you are going to quickly want a ski with a more supportive flex...

There are loads of reviews on these skis on the Reviews Board.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 am

1EyedJack wrote:Go for it!
Classic backcountry setup.
I kinda thought as much- thanks.

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:52 am

lowangle al wrote:They are a fine ski for logging roads as long as you are more focused on the XC aspect. The problem I have with them is that they need a lot of input to turn. They do not respond to subtle edging like all of my other skis do. I think it's due to being too soft in the tip and lack of tortional rigidity. When you lean them over the tips do nothing to help initiate the turn.
Thanks for the input. I’m thinking of this as a learning combination and am leaning more towards xc right now. I anticipate turns in the future however, still pondering what to do.

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:57 am

martin2007 wrote:I'm surprised at the XCD GT dimensions. I have a 90's-era pair and they're much slimmer. I'd have thought more like 68 mm at the shovel. At 190 lbs. plus 15 lb. pack you might want longer skis as mine are 190 cm and I'm 150 lbs. It will be a kick and glide BC set-up. I ski mine on Arkos leathers and, as Al mentioned, carving pretty turns aren't what they do best. Enjoy getting out there. Any snow yet?
The length has been a concern to me. Snow conditions here can be so variable, I’m concerned that the 195 length might leave me floundering in the Powder we get.

No significant snow yet, I’ve been able to hike without the need for snowshoes. When it comes it’s in abundance.

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:58 am

bgregoire wrote:
martin2007 wrote:I'm surprised at the XCD GT dimensions. I have a 90's-era pair and they're much slimmer.
Same name but very different class of ski. Karhu kept up with the trend towards fatter and more sidecut at the years went by.

I don't believe you can find any longer than 195cm for that version of the XCD GT. It's a fine length for the OP IMO.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.