ALPINA DISCOVERY 80 SKIS

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

ALPINA DISCOVERY 80 SKIS

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:18 pm

Anyone have experience with these? Looking to do moderate touring, mainly fire service roads, trails, and mild down hill.
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: ALPINA DISCOVERY 80 SKIS

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Why not? Looks good for that mission, basic classic XX-(xx-20)-(xx-10) sidecut which is tough to go wrong with for basic touring. My buddy has a different pair of Alpina's and they are well constructed. Make sure to get the right length for you.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:34 am

I have owned Discovery 60's (68-60-62) for about 5 years. I think these skis would do what you want, I don't know if you need to go wider, except to make turns.

The 60's will fit into tracks as well, but are certainly are too stiff to be optimum for track skiing. The 80's obviously will not. The only other skis I have tried are Excursion 88's. As Johnny has noted, the Discovery's are pretty stiff.

The strong point of these skis is the waxless pattern--which is particular good for climbing. The glide may be better on other skis.

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:53 am

I’ve been enjoying them immensely. Both the traction and the glide are more than I’d hoped for. The 208cm length feels perfect for my needs, I think this was a good choice for a returning xc skier who doesn’t want to follow in someone else’s tracks. I’m using an Alico boot (the army surplus model) and a Voile cable binding. Seems like a pretty good combination for cruising fire roads but I think I’d be putting on the plastic Garmont boots if I was going to be doing a lot of downhill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:19 pm

Cool ski.
208cm eh? Wow- that must be the longest Alpina BC-XC ski they have made in many years!
80mm at the shovel? What is the sidecut profile? Camber-flex?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:46 am

Hey Gareth,

They’re an 80-58-69 side cut, have a Nordic Rocker Camber (saw your article about rocker you posted Dec 2017- really interesting) and an early rise construction that keeps me from burying the tips. They’ve got a nice light feel to them and feel responsive in varying conditions. I’m liking the waxless pattern, grabs really good in different conditions. The trade off is the noise they make when I’m at speed but it’s a small price to pay until i move up to a wax ski (the Åsnes Combat Nato or Tindan 86 have caught my attention).

I think they’re a ski I’m going to grow into for awhile as my skill set/confidence builds. In addition to the Alicos I’ve got a pair of Garmont Liberos (plastic boot) to play with when I’m going for more vertical outings that might require a bit more control.

We’ve got a bit more snow and the ankle feels like it’s recovered from my misadventure a couple of weeks ago so I’m thinking I’ll be getting back on them this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruski

Post by bruski » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:53 pm

II've been using my new Alpina 80s with Alico Ski March and Supertelemark bindings. I like them quite a bit, though hovering around 200lbs with gear on the 208cm are a little soft. That said, I am a former varsity racer and am used to extra stiff race skis. I've relaxed my technique a little and am really growing to the skis/backcountry life. The grip is quite good and the glide is more than adequate on cold dry light powder/hardpack, but nothing to write home about.

I live in Arctic Quebec so my snow is very very cold and very very dry, so my ability to comment on its performance across different conditions is nil. Overall, pretty happy with the purchase (got them and the bindings on sale).