The Ultimate XCD Boot: The new Alpina Watermelon DOUBLE!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anemic

Re: The Ultimate XCD Boot: The new Alpina Watermelon DOUBLE!

Post by anemic » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Wow, now I see what is AFOOT (haaaa...)
You are sticking a liner into a boot (a double boot) which was manufactured as a single boot (integrated liner).

Wow this is DIY innovation! Cool man
Call it Nordic Freeride

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:27 pm

Looks like Alico Doubles are only $300 these days, definitely heavy weights but good if they fit you. Alfa still makes their 3-pin expedition boot, very expensive. I don't see any NNNBC boots made over size 48, am I missing something?

uh-oh - I just checked the Andrew Shoes website - no more telemark boots showing! That would be a huge loss to the sport. Just a few more pairs of Zenith left at Bogong sports, so glad I snagged a pair. Things continue to dry up for 3-pin boots. Crispi is still making Antarctic.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:00 pm

Woodserson wrote:So if I'm already at a 47 Euro, I'm basically just screwed, right?

This is a great idea for multi-day trips. The problem with the Alaska, as great as it is, is that you can't pull a liner out to dry overnight. If you're in a tent (such as moi) you are kind of sh*t-outta-luck to get your boots to dry. This is one reason why so many people do long flat tours in Excursions and T4's (at least in the northeast).

Brilliant guys! Brilliant!
Yeah, maybe you are "screwed"! But the concelation price is that you could simply go up a single size (48) and wear a VBL sock and perhaps and extra thick wool sock overtop!

http://www.exped.com/international/en/p ... bl-socks-l

No more wet boots!

And if the snow is wt, you can also go old school and use a berghaus yeti super gaiter!

https://int.berghaus.com/mens-footwear/mens-gaiters

They come in an insulated version too!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Johnny wrote:Crazy? The crazier the better!
Actually, at 435$ USD, they are still half the price of other modern double boots...
I meant crazy in a necessary and interesting manner. People that's inventing stuff is crazy — compared with the grayish dullness of habitus driven lads... So you are crazy man...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Johnny,
Very nicely done, a great idea. Now that you guys have gotten me to order NNN boots, maybe Super Watermelons are in my future too? To me, it seems way more likely than NNN ever seemed 5 years ago ;)

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:31 am

Cannatonic wrote:Looks like Alico Doubles are only $300 these days, definitely heavy weights but good if they fit you.
The whole idea here is also to have a thermo liner molded to your feet for more power and precision, and to prevent blisters and heel lift. And not weighting 10lbs... Something not possible with a traditionnal double boot... 8-)
Rodbelan wrote:the grayish dullness of habitus driven lads...
Exactly what I have been fighting all my life, boring grey people and their boring grey, bland and flavorless world...
fisheater wrote:To me, it seems way more likely than NNN ever seemed 5 years ago ;)
If you take a look at the Alfa website, you might notice a very interesting fact. These guys have been making ski boots since the 1930's. If you look at their current ski boot models, you will find 13 (!!!) different NNN-BC models. And only 3 75mm models!!! That's a pretty high 13:3 NNN/3p ratio... I think that is saying a lot... ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:13 am

Where do you get the low cut thermo liners?

(I've been looking for a thermo liner for T4s but only find the taller thermos).

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:03 am

Those morrow-like liners are pretty much extinct. I suggest you invest in the Pro-Tour and cut of excess if required but I would argue that extral length up top is not a hindrance. If you want a softer walking liner, go with the Mukluk by Intuition, or ask scarpa if they can sell their T4 liners separate...they use intuition liners too now I believe.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 am

Yep, as bgregoire says... Or you can also go for the Intuition Logan, the Afla Polar Liner or the Palau Winter Track Pro...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Johnny wrote:Yep, as bgregoire says... Or you can also go for the Intuition Logan, the Afla Polar Liner or the Palau Winter Track Pro...
Absolut! The new Intuition Logan sounds like the best alternative to the new Intuition-made OEM Scarpa T4 Liner. Whatever it is you put in there, make sure the liner is as high or heigher than the plastic boot itself, else you may get cut and scraped! I tried the Morrow liner in the Gorment Excursion and found it lacked a little height. The Pro Tour is a dream though even though is looks awful in there!