The Ultimate XCD Boot: The new Alpina Watermelon DOUBLE!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
teleclub

Re: The Ultimate XCD Boot: The new Alpina Watermelon DOUBLE!

Post by teleclub » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:54 am

Good leads on low thermo liners, thanks.

Of those mentioned, any ideas on which is the thinnest thermo liner you can buy? I have a pair of Rossi BCX-12 that are a size large for me. I'm taking up the space with extra inner-soles but it would be great to do a thinner version of this double-boot hack.

The Watermelon double is such a great idea. I can't figure out why it never occurred to me. I already think way too much about skiing but this idea never came around.

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:59 am

bgregoire wrote:Those morrow-like liners are pretty much extinct. I suggest you invest in the Pro-Tour and cut of excess if required but I would argue that extral length up top is not a hindrance...
How do you seal up the liner again after you cut off the excess? Do you put anything over the molded cut-off top edge?

I agree that extra tall liner length is not a hindrance to skiing in my experience. Does get in the way for pants and general touring business so cutting off the extra would be worth it if I can seal it up.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:57 am

teleclub wrote: How do you seal up the liner again after you cut off the excess? Do you put anything over the molded cut-off top edge?
I had considered it but did not do it as the extra length did not bother me at all.

If I were to do it though, I would lock the orignial sewing trim job with more thread and then i could cut of the excess with an x-acto knife than sew a basic trim by hand (in a similar fashion to the older more basic intuition liner trim:see the pictures of Johnny's Watermelon liner at the beginning of this thread).
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

mcnownaw

Post by mcnownaw » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:05 pm

You guys are awesome!

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:49 pm

anyone try or have the Intuition Tour Mod liner? its the thinnest liner they make. I wonder how many sizes up you would need for an alfa ski boot to fit this liner? Intuition says 1/2" or less (or 1 finger or less). Also, does the higher cuff height really matter ? I know you don't want it shorter than your boot, but how does it fit if it is higher than your boot? (I would imagine it would be better and maybe even provide some support?)

Thanks!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:55 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:49 pm
anyone try or have the Intuition Tour Mod liner? its the thinnest liner they make. I wonder how many sizes up you would need for an alfa ski boot to fit this liner? Intuition says 1/2" or less (or 1 finger or less). Also, does the higher cuff height really matter ? I know you don't want it shorter than your boot, but how does it fit if it is higher than your boot? (I would imagine it would be better and maybe even provide some support?)

Thanks!
JYW5, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? MORE HEAT or DOWNHILL CONTROL?

FWIW, I do not believe anyone is actually using the Double Watermelon for real, that is for downhill control.

If you are going for more heat, look at the Intuition Mukluk. it is much softer, much more comfortable. You need a good 2 sizes above for it. The Alfa Polar is expressly made to be used with a liner. I've got a hefty review of it here you should reat. It was a uber wide last making in very compatible. You can fit a liner in most any boot though, but i would go 2 sizes up in that case for sure.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:25 am

Thanks for replying. I am looking for more downhill control and better fit (no slop and heel slip). I am specifically looking at the Alfa Guard Advance. I have the Alfa Rondane Core size 42 and its ok with a footbed and medium ski socks but I can still feel some slipping...these boots are fine for flat/moderate terrain. I want to do some steeper skiing and long traverses with variable snow. So I think the Alfa Guard with a liner would be great. But I want a thin liner and maybe something more rigid. The mukluks I think are medium and soft. Any other thoughts about what would be best for the Alfa Guard Advance GTX? and still 2 sizes up with a thin liner?

Thanks

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:34 am

Going from the Rondane to the Guard is already a good step up in support and stiffness. I am NOT a proponent of the Double for downhil use. Perhaps M. Johnny, can chip in here with his experience. I do know his favourite boot right now is the Alfa Guard but WITHOUT the liner.

As for advice, I would consider the Alfa Guard 41 if the 42 feels sloppy. The Alfa sizing is a little big IMO. You can play around with footbeds and socks to optimize fit as well.

If you want better control still on the down, I would consider moving to 3-pins with removable cables and a stiffer duckbill boot like the Andrew Rifugio, Crispi Sydpolen or even a T4/Excursion.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:04 pm

Double boots are not the best for control, because they add another layer of play... BUT, thermomoldable double boots are a different story. When your bones and toes are perfectly molded to the boot, and the liner itself is perfectly molded to the outer boot, you can get a lot more precision and control... That was the main idea of the Watermelons and the Pinkies: instant reaction at the slightest muscle impulse...

Two mondo points might not be enough though, but it all depends on the liners you pick. I wear size 42-43 depending on the boots, and both my Alpina Melons and the Alfa Pinkies were size 47. The final fit is very tight with lo-cut Intuition copies...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:06 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:34 am
If you want better control still on the down, I would consider moving to 3-pins with removable cables and a stiffer duckbill boot like the Andrew Rifugio, Crispi Sydpolen or even a T4/Excursion.
Twice the weight. And half the fun. 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."