Faster Backcountry Trail Ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Faster Backcountry Trail Ski

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:04 am

Well- I am a bit lighter than you- but often carrying a pack...
I hopefully have the 210cm Gamme en route!

Petetheswede at 75kg has the 200cm:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2016

Cannatonic has the 210cm.
Anrothar has the 210cm.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

anemic

Post by anemic » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:33 pm

Bob, last year I got the blue Madshus that I think are called 55s today. Mine have a name on them - GLITTERTIND ! I love it when the mind functions properly after the warmup period.

I willingly chose the crowns and I love them. I've screwed around with wax and will do so again, but for clip in and go skiing after dinner, it works well for me and makes me happy. The 55s are nice to have. I really like that they feel like a track ski (whippy, kicky, light, straight ahead warp speed feels) but they have more float and long soft tips and you can theoretically force a tele turn but haha they are not intended for that use.

I have other skis around this size with waxable bases and they are also fun to have. Like older Karhu XCD GT foam core that also will tele and have nice float and speed. but those tips are a little stiffer maybe like your battle skis.
Call it Nordic Freeride

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Dell, thanks for posting, and thanks for a positive response regarding scales. I'm not sure I want to go that way, but I appreciate solid advice. BTW, I have been looking for your review of the Glittertind, any help finding it would be appreciated.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:10 pm

It's buried in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=598
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:55 pm

I just endorsed the 210cm Gamme 54 for fisheater also, I said 200's would be too short for his weight. Amundsen, yikes, just remember there are no trees in Antarctica! Just straight lines. I had a old pair of Asnes/Merrell "super comps", Johnny got them too, same profile as Amundsen and I almost killed myself trying to ski down the 2,000 vertical Sherburne trail with them - they do NOT turn :lol:
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

jalp

Post by jalp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:02 pm

I'm planning on a lighter setup this year too. I've been considering a pair of E99's but also eyeing the Fischer Outback 68 Crown. Anyone have an opinion on the Outback 68?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:56 pm

Sure, go longer if you want to go faster. But if you have to herringbone up curvy trails, long lengths can be a severe pain IMO. One of the great benefits of a super stiff XC ski is that you can choose a shorter length for your weight. Perhaps you would go as fast or faster on an Amundsen 201cm than you would a Gamme 54 or E99 210cm but have an easier time going uphill if the trail is narrow? This may actually also be true for maneuverability on the down, to some extent?

The Amundsen (67/57/62) has a 10mm sidecut whereas the E99 and Gamme 54 are 12 and 14mm. We are not talking night and day here. And yes, the Amundsen can be turned (surely not as well as the other two but the OP seems mostly interested in a true distance oriented backcountry nordic touring ski this time). The big game changer between the Amundsen and E99 (especially the xtralites) is the super snappiness of the Amundsen. Being a little wider underfoot, i also feel it is that much more stable on uneven ground.

The Amundsen is certainly not a ski that I would get in a length longer than recommended (unless i was permanently attaching skins for a polar traverse, which i am certainly not planning). But its an awesome niche ski, an amazing piece of work and I truly think it deserves consideration by anyone looking to go fast in varying snow conditions where altitude variations are moderate, especially for someone with a strong XC background.

It would be awesome to have a review from someone who owns both the Amundsen and the Gamme.
Last edited by bgregoire on Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:02 pm

jalp wrote:I'm planning on a lighter setup this year too. I've been considering a pair of E99's but also eyeing the Fischer Outback 68 Crown. Anyone have an opinion on the Outback 68?
Just looking at the concept and the specs, I don t really have anything good to say about the Outback 68. Seems like a DWARF ski meant for light backcountry touring. Its meant to be skied super short, unlike a traditional BC touring ski (E99 for example) but its got very little turning ability when compared to other modern XCD skis, other than the fact that its, well, short. Heck, if you want a Outback 68, why not get a very very short E99 and it will probably be just the same (but perhaps less of a quality construction).

If, as the OP, you are interested in a faster nordic backcountry trail ski, of the two, E99 sized for you all the way.
Last edited by bgregoire on Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

jalp

Post by jalp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:39 pm

bgregoire wrote:
jalp wrote:I'm planning on a lighter setup this year too. I've been considering a pair of E99's but also eyeing the Fischer Outback 68 Crown. Anyone have an opinion on the Outback 68?
Just looking at the concept and the specs, I don t really have anything good to say about the Outback 68. Seems like a DWARF ski meant for light backcountry touring. Its meant to be skied super short, unlike a traditional BC touring ski (E99 for example) but its got very little turning ability, other than the fact that its short. Heck, if you want a Outback 68, why not get a very very short E99 and it will probably just the same (but perhaps less of a quality construction).

If, as the OP, you are interested in a faster nordic backcountry trail ski, of the two, E99 sized for you all the way.
Thanks for the advice. Definitely leaning towards the E99 now.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:51 pm

Ben, it is Monday night 8:00 PM, I just read your post from last night. If I had read it an hour earlier i probably would not have any skis on order. I don't remember mulling over a ski buying decision like I did this one. I ordered a Gamme 54 earlier tonight from Neptune after work tonight. Canna weighs 20lbs less than me and he handles the camber of the 210. I think the real deciding factor for me, is that despite my local trails being steep, I can walk up them on blue and green wax days. I would hope when it is too warm for blue wax, the X-skins will offer good grip and glide.
Ben, thank you for you advice, I really appreciated your perspective.
Gareth, Canna, and Dell, I would also like to thank you gentlemen for your advice and perspectives. I have learned from all of you, and I appreciate that you have taken time to respond and offer me assistance and advice.
The new rig, set to arrive via "free" ground transport from Colorado:
Gamme 54
Rottafella NNN manual bindings
Alaska BC
Never thought I would be going NNN, but I hope I'm going NNN and going fast!

Last question:
Pins on BP would also me bar on BP, correct?
Peace, and thank you