Ski for heavyweights

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
satsuma

Ski for heavyweights

Post by satsuma » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:30 pm

Here is the reverse of the problem below. I have become acquainted with a person that moved here from Alabama, and he thinks he is interested in learning to ski. He is 6'2" and 315 lbs. Is there any appropriate ski for this weight? Otherwise, if and when he gets around to purchasing skis, I would suggest the longest length of traditional length skis,, which may still drag under his weight.

It is all ungroomed skiing locally. Usually packed a week after the first big snowfall.

Available for rent are Fischer Excursion 88's and Rossi BC 65 skis.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Ski for heavyweights

Post by bgregoire » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:19 am

I suggest he go out and try rental a few times to make sure he is really interested and wants to commit to the ski.

Then, he could try out the:

Asnes USGI Combat 210cm
https://colemans.com/shop/cold-weather- ... is-2-pair/

Sporten Expedition 90 (its super stiff, nearly, if not, double camber)
http://old.sporten.cz/eng/catalog/nordi ... ition.html

Or even something like the contemporary Asnes Combat/Ingstad 210cm or the Asnes Amundsen 208cm. I am thinking a stiff ski here.

At his size, I could be tempted to suggest a relatively large BC ski for improved stability, and definitely, the longest size available.
Last edited by bgregoire on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:10 am

The longest they made BC65s is 195. Maybe a pair of 195 Guides/Annums? Otherwise, maybe a pair of those Asnes USGI skis in 210.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks for the responses. The USGI skis will make sense if he is willing to wax. They may also make sense for me as a trailbreaking ski (at 200 cm) with the same requirement.

littlevikingca

Post by littlevikingca » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:41 pm

Supplemental to bgregoire's comment:

"Or even something like the contemporary Asnes Combat/Ingstad 210cm or the Asnes Amundsen 208cm. I am thinking a stiff ski here."

The Asnes Amundsen comes in two versions, the "Amundsen Fram" having the most pronounced double camber (from my reading of this description from the Asnes site); " Amundsen Fram is the perfect choice for those who enjoy skiing on endless plains or planning an expedition. This model has a higher wax pocket compared to Amundsen and is, therefore, an obvious alternative for adventurers planning long trips with a sled or heavy loads."

This might be a good cross country/backcountry ski alternative for a heavier skier on moderate "cross country" terrain.

My observation (based on use of the Fram version) is that it is a stable "classic" Norwegian mountain ski oriented to more shallow snow conditions (groomed tracks, snowmobile trails, lakes) on moderate terrain than say a single cambered "telemark" ski of similar dimensions -ie: it is more aligned to step turns than teles with excellent kick and glide.

Dave K

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:37 pm

At that height and weight it might be better to go with used skis and plastic boots like a T2. Find the longest and fattest ski possible. Have him try it out see what he thinks. I would suggest something wider because of his weight so the skis dont sink like an anvil on the downhill. Maybe send Wagner Skis an email if he wants custom after trying used skis.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:45 pm

voilenerd wrote:At that height and weight it might be better to go with used skis and plastic boots like a T2.
I'm under the impression the OP's friend want to go touring on flats mostly. Is that right? In that case, if he were to go for plastic boots (which is pretty terrible on the flats imo), would the T2 be way too stiff? Scarpa T4 or Scott Excursion at the most i'd think.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:50 pm

Yeah you got a good point. Im 6ft 3 and about 190. I picked up some used T4s for my skinnier bc Fischer Voodoos and dont like the lower cuffs. I seem to kick and glide better with the stiffer and higher cuff. The T4s feel like im wearing Uggs. Ha

My first XCD experience was horrible. I rented some skinny skis and floppy boots and did not enjoy it. It felt like I had no control on downhill and deep snow was huge challenge for me on such a skinny ski. I think they were Atomic Llehammers. I immediately took them back and got some fatter rental skis and plastic boots and was much happier. I think they were the Aplina XTerrian.