Replace my much loved Karhu Pinnacles! What ski?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Oldbie

Replace my much loved Karhu Pinnacles! What ski?

Post by Oldbie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:23 pm

Ok dudes, help a guy out here. Looking for something to tour with on hiking trails, two-tracks, etc, in Midwestern forests and Great Lakes dune country, but that will also be fun at lift served ski areas with my snowboard-obsessed boys; did this last year and had so much fun. I'd be using these with Alpina Montanas in NNNBC. I looked at the Fischer Sbounds 78s and 88s at 189cm, but do you guys have other ideas? I run about 170 lbs, but sometimes carry an overnight trip's worth of gear. What you got? Postscript, cheap is good. Thanks!

Oldbie

Re: Replace my much loved Karhu Pinnacles! What ski?

Post by Oldbie » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:27 pm

So, I didn't hear any strong suggestions, so I waited 5 years and then I just went and got myself some Hoks. Got out on them today and had fun on the little bit of snow that we got overnight. I trucked around in the woods on and off the hiking trail and hit the local sled hill for a few up and downs. The skins iced up, and next time I'll try to let them get good and cold before strapping them on. Silicone spray seemed to help, and I was glad that I brought a scraper, but conditions were right around the freezing point, so, to be expected. Not as fast as my Pinnacles, but I thought they glided pretty well on marginal snow. Both sets of skis have red flexors now, and they feel snappy. Fun!

lemon

Post by lemon » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:42 am

The hoks are pretty fun. I was surprised how well they turned! I really like the KoM , it has scales, it just pleasure in pow. I think fischer 88s would be fun to replace your pinnacles, maybe a transnordic 66. I ordered a transnordic 82 wax for next year. I think it will be fun for the type of skiing you described above. I'm sure other folks who ski asnes can chime in too, they definitely make a ski that would be appropriate. 🤘

CohenBowen

Post by CohenBowen » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:42 am

Thank you so much.

Oldbie

Post by Oldbie » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:07 am

On a whim, I just picked up a pair of used Karhu XCD GTs in good condition--they're too short at 165, but they were 35 bucks, and I'd be a jerk for letting them get away from me at that price. Between the Pinnacles (with cleaned up bases and new flexors), the GTs, and the Hoks, I've probably now got more ski options than I have time (or snow). Next season!