The Great North American ASNES FEVER!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Re: The Great North American ASNES FEVER!

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:24 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:25 pm
Anyone skiing the Nosi 76 with BC NNN?

how does it compare to the Rabb 68?

It was bottomless and a real pain to break trail with my S112s, but the quiet descent was slow, smooth, deep, and graceful. Would love an appropriate ski that would float more and go a bit faster.
Just saying that if you had a hard time breaking the trail with the S112 (never skied those) I don't think you would be better off with the Rabb 68 for breaking trail. My limited experience with these skis tells me that they are not good to break trail in seep snow conditions (but our conditions are probably nothing like yours...). They tend to sink easily in deep snow. If I want to break a trail the Ingstad is my first choice. The Rabbs will work but don't expect them to be even close to fast ;)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:40 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:00 pm
this is a fun page! :mrgreen:
Indeed!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:53 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:25 pm
It was bottomless and a real pain to break trail with my S112s, but the quiet descent was slow, smooth, deep, and graceful. Would love an appropriate ski that would float more and go a bit faster.
You know, by the time you find a replacement ski, those pristine bottomless conditions will be gone.

Remind yourself next time you get to enjoy the snowy fluff : "There is no better ski than these very planks right under my feet"

- Platypus.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:08 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:00 pm
Ok ok ok, 97% +1.

Now where's my popcorn, this is a fun page! :mrgreen:

My 99% wasn't about mocking anyone, just sayin'. (maybe it was a compliment!)
I took Mr. Woods comment as a compliment. I’m pretty sure we both saw some of the same videos.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:04 am

As steep and deep as the runs are, I don't think the Ingstad will cut it. The mountains rise 1000ft/mile on average with your poles sinking all the way down

and the snow is bottomless just about 90% of winters in the past 20 yrs...I used to just have someone else break trail...lol

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:30 am

jyw5 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:04 am
As steep and deep as the runs are, I don't think the Ingstad will cut it. The mountains rise 1000ft/mile on average with your poles sinking all the way down

and the snow is bottomless just about 90% of winters in the past 20 yrs...I used to just have someone else break trail...lol
Let’s start a figth because of misinterpretation of written communication ;) I ne we suggested you use Ingstad... I just wrote that I rather use my Ingstad for breaking trails and not the Rabbs...That’s it... let’s fight now :lol:

I totally agree with Ben’s comment... and I would had that you are kind of rubbing salt over our wounds with all this bragging about your snow cover... :o

Seriously, reading your post and the description of the snow conditions leads directly to day dreaming for many of us I guess...

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:45 am

bgregoire wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:15 pm
You are right. Maybe we should stop populating this forum with sentences and paragraphs. We should only use colorful drawings and poetry.
Wouldn't it be nice? A utopian forum for mystic skiers..!

Yep, there are some good shows on this program! The 99% thing was dropped at a perfect time for this particular one... I will use it everytime to talk about the mass of skiers that go for 3pin and T4 by default without even investigating...

lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:58 pm
That is what you should do- Fjoro 92/Voile V6 + NNNBC + Guard Advance!!
Why not?
If there was a Waxless Fjoro, I would already own 3 pairs...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:31 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:30 am
jyw5 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:04 am

Let’s start a figth because of misinterpretation of written communication ;) I ne we suggested you use Ingstad... I just wrote that I rather use my Ingstad for breaking trails and not the Rabbs...That’s it... let’s fight now :lol:

I totally agree with Ben’s comment... and I would had that you are kind of rubbing salt over our wounds with all this bragging about your snow cover... :o

Seriously, reading your post and the description of the snow conditions leads directly to day dreaming for many of us I guess...

Im not bragging and certainly not fighting. There is such a thing as too much snow. The weather here sucks. blizzard followed by big minus temps and high winds and flat light. I was simply stating without hostile intent that the Ingstad may not work based on the elaborate Ingstad/combat nato discussion thread.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:18 pm

He's with you, jyw5. There's a fair amount of French to English here on this forum, subtle tonalities which are already hard to pick up on in text can be even more obscured.

But too much snow...? C'mon... We're dying out east. What is snow? Mythical stuff

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:53 pm

I feel for those of you that don't have good snow coverage...

we do truly have the opposite problem...so extreme in fact that avalanche conditions exist even in small usually benign gullies and hills around xc trails...in fact an avalanche crossed a common xc trail and the road recently. They closed access to the mountains and it took 2 days for park services to clear out.
Also, the snow gets deep to a point where as a lone skiier, trailbreaking the usual routes becomes exhausting and taxing. Two weekends ago, a common 5 mile route took nearly 2 hrs because it was ungroomed, unused, and the snow drifts were waist deep in some areas. It was quite the workout that day...but this has become the norm.

What I also find is that by the time it gets sunny, it rapidly warms up in March and most of this snow becomes unusable leg breaking mash potatoes...there is literally a short 1-2 wk window to ski during this time...and all the good snow must be accessed via multiday tours, plane, or helicopter.

It has been a challenging winter with some excellent snow conditions...if you can tolerate -10F to -15F weather or snowy white out days with 30-50 mile gusts. And many days with flat light, dark clouds, and short days due to our high latitude.

I am by no means complaining...I am writing this to explain that this isn't the mystical heavenly skiing that you think it is.

I may brag and gloat from time to time! But I am not here to fight or argue. I love skiing and I am very happy to have found this forum and I am grateful for the wealth of knowledge and experience that you all have. I am still searching for perfect magical ski gear that may not exist.

It is most likely that I do need to just ski with what I have and become a better skiier as buying more of these amazing European skis and boots aren't really the answer for a better skiing experience.

Thanks again for reading and replying.