The Great North American ASNES FEVER!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: The Great North American ASNES FEVER!

Post by Johnny » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:23 am

More Ås-some-nes to complete my Tind Family...
Adjustable sectional Alloy Poles, cork handles, up to 155cm, and strong enough for the SNO CHAIR™
Asnes-Tind-Alloy-2.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:21 am

Ok, now I"m actually jealous! :lol: those are awesome. Of course I do have a pair of the Swix "mountain" poles with real leather baskets that are not too shabby either
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:49 pm

"Adjustable sectional Alloy Poles, cork handles, up to 155cm, and strong enough for the SNO CHAIR™"

I was more interested in the SNO CHAIR. Flash back to the 80's spring tele campout in the Trinity Alps, nthn California.
One of the crew had a Chouinard Mountain Lounge. Jealous we were. I'd have to do some digging, but will add some of those trips sometime. Pic from cyberspace:
Chouinard Equipment Mtn Chair.jpg
Finally getting some snow around here (sthn oregon cascades). Time to hit the slopes.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

t-$

Post by t-$ » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:45 pm

Shit I really hate you guys. Just as I’m feeling content with my quiver you post up more things for me to drool over...and even tho I’m not one of the fabled I knights, I also look forward to a review!!!

Edit: nice pic jack

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:51 am

My original order was for Polar and Nansen expedition poles. But apparently there was some production problems... Very unfortunately, they will only be available next season... 8-)
Asnes Ski Poles Polar 2 Nansen 2.jpg

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:43 am

That's quite the collection Johnny. It might have broke the bank, but it is possible to be broke and still feel like a millionaire. If you spent your money on the right stuff.

I have endured the Karhu Flu for the first 15 year of skiing and am still enjoying the Voile Virus after another 15 or so years. I haven't had enough contact with Asnes to catch the fever but I feel my resistance getting weaker.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:13 am

lowangle al wrote:I have endured the Karhu Flu for the first 15 year of skiing and am still enjoying the Voile Virus after another 15 or so years. I haven't had enough contact with Asnes to catch the fever but I feel my resistance getting weaker.
Very well said! You Sir are a poet! Be careful, the Asnes fever is rad...!

I first got the Asnes virus via Lilcliffy and Ben. I can still find important traces of the Karhu and Voile infections in my own blood. They will probably never go away, and that is a good thing. But if Asnes would do waxless versions of wider skis and their Tind series, I would probably throw everything else away. Please Asnes, please...

STG

Post by STG » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:42 am

Johnny:

Did you check with Neptune Mountaineering (Boulder, Colorado) to see if they stocked any of the skis you wanted or if they could order hassle-free?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 pm

FYI Watch out mounting the Asnes, make sure you have a well defined crater in the predrilled hole for the topsheet volcano. (These are very technical terms, I went to BMU back in the 80's).

My bindings ended up not sitting flat on the ski under the pin/bar. The two primary screws really bunched up a good amount of binding material, unfortunately. Even with a good extra crank I couldn't get it to squash. I'm going to go back in and plane smooth and reset. I'm surprised, I have mounted dozens of NNN-BC bindings and this is the first time I've encountered the problem to this degree even with good hole prep. Just sayin'.

Adding: I think the topsheet is really hard and my bit didn't crater it out enough and I went with "good enough" referencing my lack of problems with other ski brands... So my complacency...

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:17 am

Woodserson wrote:FYI Watch out mounting the Asnes, make sure you have a well defined crater in the predrilled hole for the topsheet volcano.
Ahhh...! Tech terms I can fully understand and relate to...!
STG wrote:Johnny:

Did you check with Neptune Mountaineering (Boulder, Colorado) to see if they stocked any of the skis you wanted or if they could order hassle-free?
I stopped wasting precious time on this decades ago. Stores NEVER carry what I want, whether it's ski related or not... Becoming an official distributor is always the solution for me... 8-)