The Great North American ASNES FEVER!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

The Great North American ASNES FEVER!

Post by Johnny » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Not an easy thing to be officially importing Asnes goods in North America. From their headquarter in Norway to their warehouse in Sweden, to the freight hub in Germany, the courier center in Kentucky in the USA, through the Canadian Border Services Agency in Montreal… All the way to a boring small town in southern Quebec. With oh so many problems along the way. 5 different shipments, 3 of them were sent to Switzerland and got lost over there.

Not to mention the Norwegian, English and French translation issues, all the fiscal aspects, company and tax numbers, plus customs brokerage. Add to this the currency conversion from Norwegian Krones to US dollars, and back to Canadian dollars to VISA through a European payment processing system. Oh, there was also major mistakes in the address and province codes, and more than 25 ENDLESS calls to UPS because they mixed up shipments. All of this without even a landline or cell phone*. Hitchhiking my way to Norway with a ski carrying bag would probably have been easier.²

I noticed a substantial increase in my grey hair count after this wonderful case of misfortune and bad luck...
But hey, WE DID IT!!!

*(I am probably the only person in the world still using public phone booths... )
² For the next order next year perhaps?

New 2019 Asnes Skis-650.jpg
IMG_8621-6502.jpg
Asnes-Fever-Ingstad-6502.jpg
Asnes-Fever-Skins.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: The Great North American ASNES FEVER!

Post by bgregoire » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:06 pm

Gawd, I created a monster!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:55 pm

Very impressive Johnny! I take it the Mountain Race are for "quick" grocery runs and more. Now my guess is those are Falketind 68, only because the bottom is different from my FT 62. Now although I am a newer member of the Asnes Appreciation Society, I hear the Knights themselves are eagerly awaiting your review of the Tindan 86. You don't think such a shipment to North American would go unnoticed??? You have been blessed with abundant snow? I do believe the Knights are eagerly awaiting a Tindan 86 video, and review for Christmas.
I know I would really enjoy it myself. They are indeed beautiful, now to see them dance in the Glades of Quebec!

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Tabarnak de tabarnak de tabarnak!!!! What an impressive collection.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:11 pm

Johnny wrote:there was also major mistakes in the address and province codes, and more than 25 ENDLESS calls to UPS because they mixed up shipments. All of this without even a landline or cell phone*. Hitchhiking my way to Norway with a ski carrying bag would probably have been easier.²
Is this a good time to add another ski to my order?

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:16 am

Johnny did you happen to bring in enough inventory for sale to the general population? Or was this first go-round by special order only? This forum's Asnes Fever is contagious! :)

I handled some at Norseman last season and they are beautiful Skis, but I just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger at the time.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:02 am

There is SO MUCH to say about these beauties... Especially the Tind series. I could talk about them for HOURS, and I'm a guy who never talks, I hate talking. They are all simply mind-blowing. Even better than what I had envisioned. And so unique too. You will not find any other skis like Asneeees anywhere else.

Bob, I thank the Lord every single day for all the blessings, and most important, for still having two functionnal legs (despite the cracking knees...) after 40+ years of abuse and carelessness. It's only December 1st and it's already my 21th bottomless powder ski day here. Rock skis pre-season only lasted 2 days! Yes, the MR will be used for racing around, with non-BC NNN. Feather light and lightning fast. 8-)

If Christ had shown to the most wicked man on earth such mercy as He has shown to me, I believe assuredly that that man would have been far more grateful to God than I have been. Francis of Assisi on humility.

Woods, sure! I deeply regret not ordering more skis myself... But hey, I don't have a gold credit card yet... ;)

Bri7 and Smitty, I might have a pair or two for sale... Email me if interested...

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:46 pm

whoa...qu'est-ce que c est? You put too many in the basement and the Ingstads starting breeding?? :lol: :lol:

let us know if having someone order stuff from the US would be helpful! I'm always up for hare-brained schemes like ordering multiple pairs of Andrew Zenith boots from Australia to get one that fits.

Looking back, my ruthless pillaging of the Neptune going-out-of-business sale was a great call - got 3 pairs of Asnes for 20-30% off w/ free shipping! almost criminal :lol: I think I got 20% off the MT51's from Sport Albert too - they discount stuff in the spring.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:06 pm

Those are both Falketind 62s- a 180cm and a 188cm.
My biggest question right now is what Asnes did with that new 68...Is it like the FT62, or is it like the Storetind?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:52 am

Cannatonic wrote:let us know if having someone order stuff from the US would be helpful! I'm always up for hare-brained schemes like ordering multiple pairs of Andrew Zenith boots from Australia to get one that fits.
Thanks for the offer...! I have an adress in the US as well, but it was easier to import from Canada for several reasons this time. Please keep those schemes coming, we need more European gear on this side of the ocean!!!
lilcliffy wrote:My biggest question right now is what Asnes did with that new 68...Is it like the FT62, or is it like the Storetind?
The Tindans and the Rabbs are unique. True wonders of the world... Angels from above. Respectively King and Prince of Asnes skis. A must for truth seekers. Please let me come back on earth and I should be able to speak a few words about them...