Antarctica trek

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Cannatonic

Antarctica trek

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:58 am

'nuff respect to these guys! incredible....and they have to climb 9000 feet - but there will be no turns on the downhill :o

http://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/sport ... -race.html

Racing Across Antarctica, One Freezing Day at a Time

Louis Rudd and Colin O’Brady are in the middle of a unique race across the coldest continent, and their daily tasks range from the mundane to the death defying.

More.....FWIW, looks like Alfa boots, Amundsens, and NNNBC...one would assume they're using skins 100% of the time

http://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/11/sport ... pe=Article

No One Has Ever Crossed Antarctica Unsupported. Two Men Are Trying Right Now.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Antarctica trek

Post by bgregoire » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:16 pm

Cannatonic wrote: More.....FWIW, looks like Alfa boots, Amundsens, and NNNBC...one would assume they're using skins 100% of the time

http://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/11/sport ... pe=Article

No One Has Ever Crossed Antarctica Unsupported. Two Men Are Trying Right Now.
Yup, looks like O'Brady's got all the right gear (hope he has a repair kit!). I'm surprised he chose such a short Amundsen ski. Wondering what is the idea behind that? Usually, polar explorers go for longer lengths.

This here was also quite an accomplishement by Gamme in 2012:
http://3belowzero.com/nutrition/happine ... ntarctica/
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:43 pm

I remember seeing the Cas and Jonesy movie at the Banff film fest - Gamme put on a skeleton mask to freak them out when they skied up to him!

So that trip was similar to this one, just a different route, this time they're skiing out to the Ross Ice sheet.
Impossible+First+Map+(1).png

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:43 pm

bgregoire wrote: Yup, looks like O'Brady's got all the right gear (hope he has a repair kit!). I'm surprised he chose such a short Amundsen ski. Wondering what is the idea behind that? Usually, polar explorers go for longer lengths.
I see they are both on Admundsens, but where did you see the lengths? I looked for an equipment sheet for both men the other day and couldn't find one. O'Brady somewhere in his instagram feed was talking about he really wasn't skiing, he was walking, the skis help distribute the his weight and help get across the snow and crevasses. So I don't think "glide" was in his strategy... fwiw.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Woodserson wrote: I see they are both on Admundsens, but where did you see the lengths? I looked for an equipment sheet for both men the other day and couldn't find one. O'Brady somewhere in his instagram feed was talking about he really wasn't skiing, he was walking, the skis help distribute the his weight and help get across the snow and crevasses. So I don't think "glide" was in his strategy... fwiw.
Hi Woods!

Here, in the NYTimes article Canna posted, you will see the relative size of his Amundsens (I'm wondering if these aren't the shortest size available, just look at the length of his poles and his body):
11antarctica-race-top-jumbo-v4.gif
I don't really know anything about these gent other than a quick glance at the links Canna posted. But, having been on a long pulk expedition myself, I agree, you don't feel like you are really skiing, or even striding! The weight of the pulks and the friction of the skins just slows you down to a slow determined walk.

There are several advantage to a long ski on these types of trips (ex.: better grip). I'm curious as to the reason for going so short.

Cheers!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:06 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Woodserson wrote: I see they are both on Admundsens, but where did you see the lengths? I looked for an equipment sheet for both men the other day and couldn't find one. O'Brady somewhere in his instagram feed was talking about he really wasn't skiing, he was walking, the skis help distribute the his weight and help get across the snow and crevasses. So I don't think "glide" was in his strategy... fwiw.
Hi Woods!

Here, in the NYTimes article Canna posted, you will see the relative size of his Amundsens (I'm wondering if these aren't the shortest size available, just look at the length of his poles and his body):
11antarctica-race-top-jumbo-v4.gif

I don't really know anything about these gent other than a quick glance at the links Canna posted. But, having been on a long pulk expedition myself, I agree, you don't feel like you are really skiing, or even striding! The weight of the pulks and the friction of the skins just slows you down to a slow determined walk.

There are several advantages to a long ski on these types of trips (ex.: better grip). I'm curious as to the reason for going so short.

Cheers!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:07 pm

Yeah I saw that picture too-- I didn't think to measure them to the poles. If that was me, my poles would be at 155, so those skis wouldn't be too long, you're right. I wonder what Rudd's skis are lengthwise.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:30 am

Graceland would certainly make it to my personal TOP 100 all-time favorite albums. Probably around position 30 or 40... But it would probably be the very last thing I would listen to on a trip to Antarctica... ;)

(Well, it's sure a great album for keeping you warm... Maybe that was the idea...? )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:18 am

for motivation I would probably go with "Master of Puppets" album from Metallica - I remember listening to "Leper Messiah" to get myself psyched up to learn snowboarding & get pounded. :lol:

I wouldn't assume too much about that picture of the Amundsens, for all we know that could be his "promo" pair of skis from the sponsor for photo shoots & stuff. Similar to how alpine ski racers in GS and Downhill take a pair of short slalom skis with them to the podium because that's what they're trying to sell to skiers, not the skinny long skis they actually used for the race.

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Some of you might find this podcast interesting, it's an interview with Lou a couple of days before he set off to Antarctica. He talks about the logistics and motivation involved in a trip like this.

http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2018/lou-rudd- ... d-unaided/

Another one from a few years ago about retracing Amundensen and Scotts routes for the centenary of their original voyages.

http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2016/lou-rudd- ... outh-pole/

Cheers, Leo