Big NTN Boots?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
elCamino

Big NTN Boots?

Post by elCamino » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Shit. I'm a size 14 shoes, my old Scarpa T1's are Mondo 31 (and a little tight), but NO ONE makes anything bigger? Largest size Scarpa is 30. Can you tell me what to do? Has sizing changed in the years? Is there any way to switch to NTN?

If I can't switch to NTN, what's the best 75mm binding option? I need to figure out how to keep up with my AT buddies.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Big NTN Boots?

Post by bgregoire » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Did you have an intuition thermomoldable liner in those 31s and did you heat mold them? If not, I would suggest considering that as an option, you might be able to go up a size with the right liner and a good boot fitter. There are SEVERAl good tourable 75mm bindings out there nowadays.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

elCamino

Post by elCamino » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:40 pm

OK, I think I'm going to get a pair of the new Scarpa T2's in a size 32. My T1 31's are giving me PTSD just trying them on. I switched to barefoot style running shoes a few years ago, and I think my feet are just different than they used to be... plus I'm older.

I'm sure this has been hashed out, but what's the best 75mm touring binding these days? I'm looking at the 22designs Axl.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 am

My friends on the AXL love it to death. I'm imagining you're a bigger dude with those feets of yours? 6 screws...

Switchback X2 is my go-to but I'm a lighter skier. Powerful binding, lighter than the Axl... but 4 screws. Also very popular and swooned over.