16 mm variation in balance points, advice please

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

16 mm variation in balance points, advice please

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:32 pm

Hello guys,
I have a 16 mm variation in BP on my new Gamme skis. BP on one ski is 6mm in front of chord center, the other is 10 mm behind chord center. I would appreciate some thoughts or experiences with this large variation. I mounted my spare pair of USGI skis tonight. They varied 2 mm, I didn't bother adjusting, just mounted each on BP. I don't know how to handle these Gamme.
Thank you,
Bob

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: 16 mm variation in balance points, advice please

Post by bgregoire » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:40 pm

fisheater wrote:Hello guys,
I have a 16 mm variation in BP on my new Gamme skis. BP on one ski is 6mm in front of chord center, the other is 10 mm behind chord center. I would appreciate some thoughts or experiences with this large variation. I mounted my spare pair of USGI skis tonight. They varied 2 mm, I didn't bother adjusting, just mounted each on BP. I don't know how to handle these Gamme.
Thank you,
Bob
Trash the skis.

Just kidding! If you are going for BP, just center the BP line you establish for drilling right in between the two real BPs, averaging out the difference. You will fool yourself and never think of it again!

Happy skiing.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:53 pm

The convention is to split the difference and mount at that point so that both skis "look" identical...

The alternative geek perspective is that what matters is "feel" not "looks" and that you should mount both at BP- despite the fact that they will look fucked up!

The aesthetic obsessive would have to have them both look identical...HOWEVER- Nordic skiing requires both skis to feel the same- as the skier is often using both skis somewhat independently- or rather- Nordic skiing is more like walking and running than it is Alpine skiing. My left foot is noticeably longer than my right foot- it is about what feels right- not what looks right.

Regardless- I have done it both ways and not noticed one bit of difference in feel.

(Alpine ski mounting ignores balance point so we don't even notice that they are not perfectly balanced!)

If it helps- I just mounted my new Asnes skis:
- two out of three sets of Ingstads were identical.
- the FT62 was 5mm off- I split the difference
- the Gamme 54 was 11mm off- I split the difference

I cannot tell the difference in a backcountry touring context, therefore I go with aesthetics- they look the same.

I would split the difference- I don't think they will feel different- but they will look "right"- despite the fact that one of your feet is likely longer than the other!

There is a lot going on inside of that Gamme...I am thinking that most sets are not perfectly balanced...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 pm

I agree, split the difference and you will never notice it.