Can I screw NNN-BC bindings to NIS plates?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nevada

Post by Nevada » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm trying to get my boys in new boots on new skis. They outgrew their last pairs from 3 years ago. They're 11 and 12, and both about 65 pounds, 4'7" -- not heavy enough for adult skiis. Even 150cm leaves them some room to grow into.

I got them some 150cm Rossignol skis. They have NIS plates (and auto bindings). I got them at a good discount because they're the old Rottafella bindings vs. the current Turnamic stuff. Kids skis for screw-on bindings might be a thing of the past at this point. It's all NIS or Turnamic or whatever the next glue-on tech will be.

Now I'm trying to get boots. The good news is they fit size 38, which is the bottom-end of the women's boot sizes and also the size my wife wears, so the boys are not limited to kid's boot selection anymore. I'd love to get them into BC-style boots because that's the type of skiing we do. It seems like all the non-BC NNN boots are like ballerina slippers or track-shoes.

My wife and I both use NNN-BC boots and Rottefella Magnum bindings. I'm very happy with them.

It seems there's no chance of kids skis with NNN-BC bindings or even without a NIS plate.

The skis are shipped but not arrived yet, so I can't see them.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Can I screw NNN-BC bindings to NIS plates?

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 pm

The skis have Rottefella nnn bindings on the NIS plates already? Did I read that correctly?

Nevada

Post by Nevada » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:42 pm

yes.. they have the Rottafella auto combi bindings

I either need to buy NNN boots or
NNN-BC bindings, screw them on, and buy NNN-BC boots

I'd kind of like to go BC because the boots are more appropriate for the wilderness skiing we do, not track-shoe style. Also, my wife and I both ski BC, and her boots fit the boys.

The other option is to get some Rossignol "X-5 OT FW XC" boots. I can get a better deal on BC boots, but not enough to cover the cost of two sets of BC bindings.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:52 pm

I do not have an NIS plate in front of me and I'm not terribly familiar, however:

NNN bindings and NNN-BC bindings share the same hole pattern, if the binding on the ski is just flat and screwed into the plate already you should be able to swap them out.

I don't know how the rails interface with the binding already on the ski however, I'm just throwing that out there.

I seem to recollect that someone recently just took the NIS plate off a ski. I think that depends on the ski too. I'm not a bunch of help here.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 pm

I have NIS plates on my track skis. There no screws involved with NIS plates. The advantage of these (with NNN bindings) is you will later be able to switch the bindings to new skis with NIS plates without damage to either ski.

The Rossi X-5 and X-6 are pretty sturdy and warm boots--It hink you could use them for off-track skiing just fine, especially for light weight people. I use X-6 boots for track skiing and roller skiing.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 am

I see no problem in drilling and cannibalizing the NIS plates, they are pretty thin...

The question is, will having kids NNN-BC boots really make a difference over NNN boots? Not sure it's worth the extra work, money and weight...? Do they really make stiffer BC boots for kids?
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi! I've been lurking on this forum for a while but recently registered and thought I could add my 2p worth to this thread. I have a pair of those Rossignol OT-5 boots you mention, which I used the whole of last season. I live in Oslo (Norway) and have mainly used them in the forested areas outside the city, mostly groomed trails and some bushwhacking through deeper snow, as well as overnight trips in more mountainous terrain. I use it with the Rossi OT65 ski which has half length metal edges and waxless base pattern.

It's a very capable boot, not much softer than the lighter BC boots on the market. The light weight and thinner sole thickness could work well for younger skiers and would mean that you can stick with the ski/binding setup as it is currently. It's a nice warm boot too, I suffer with cold hands and feet but these boots have kept my feet warm when skiing in -15°C temps. I keep looking at BC boots but have the same issue, is it worth buying a whole new (boot, binding, ski) setup when what I have works for 90% of the skiing I do currently?

Hope this helps!
Cheers, Leo

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Are you planning on selling the skis when they have outgrown them? If so- I would stick with NNN.

Also- are these track skis, with a stiff double camber? I feel terrible for making my two older children suffer on track skis in the backcountry. I am just wondering whether the skis are going to be alright before you destroy the NIS plate. Buying my two oldest a pair of 165cm Madhus Eons/Epochs changed everything!

I wonder what is under the NIS plate...Enough substance to hold screws?

The comments about sole flex are also something to consider...A stiff soled backcountry boot can be too much for a light skier with a small foot...

I guess I would want to look at the skis and see if they are going to be suitable for backcountry snow...

The skis that Leo describes have a soft flex meant for both on and off-track skiing. Soft enough to get some grip and control on soft snow- soft enough that they are slow on the track compared to a dedicated track ski.

What model are the Rossi skis?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Nevada

Post by Nevada » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Thanks for the help and advice. I decided to get the Rossi NNN boots, the X-5 OT boots. Comparing them to the BC boots, it's true they have a lower sole and will be lighter weight which is a win for the kids. I also know whatever I do, they're going to outgrow them in a couple years. The NNN boots cost me about $60 more for two pair than what I would have paid for BC boots, but that's not enough to pay for two sets of BC bindings.

FWIW, I know there are some screw-on NIS plates to adapt older skis, but I think the point of NIS plates was to allow glue-on over an air-core ski. I still don't know if the skis I ordered would allow for screwing through the NIS plate, but I wasn't willing to wait to order the boots. There's snow out there now and the boys' old boots fit like a glass slipper on Cinderella's step sister.