The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
AKjohn

Re: The Finest Nordic Norm (NN) 75mm Backcountry Boots

Post by AKjohn » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Chisana wrote:My faves are my merrel ultras, followed by my asolo snowfields. Got 2 pairs of excursions that I just can't say I love. That being said, I am an old fart that tours backcountry trails,rather than a telemarker.Btw, will soon be posting for sale (once again), a brand new in the box pair of ultras size 11 and one pair of excursions 29.
Hey Chisana we pm'd back last year about your boots at 11 and 29 they would be to big for me. I am a 10.5 or 28-28.5

Palmer finally got snow so I am going to get out and try my skis.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:33 pm

bgregoire wrote: How is the last width on theses boots?
As far as I can remember, they were pretty much medium width, as I can't recall having that much issues with the width as I had with the length. Or maybe they were on the small side of medium, but definitely not truly narrow.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Just received a cool pair of Burgundy Crispi Sydpolens from the motherland. This is promising! Super comfy, well insulated and super stiff soles (halfway between the Alpina Alaska and the Alico Ski March or Garmont Excursion). True leather telemark shoes/boots! Rock it!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:08 pm

bgregoire wrote:Just received a cool pair of Burgundy Crispi Sydpolens from the motherland. This is promising! Super comfy, well insulated and super stiff soles (halfway between the Alpina Alaska and the Alico Ski March or Garmont Excursion). True leather telemark shoes/boots! Rock it!
Isn't the Sydpolen the same as the Antarctic but with Gore-tex? (they both weigh 950g) It certainly looks the same, but maybe you can illuminate the differences?

I will say on wet spring days I wish my Antarctics had the gore- water gets in at the welt into the boot.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:14 pm

bgregoire wrote:Just received a cool pair of Burgundy Crispi Sydpolens from the motherland. This is promising! Super comfy, well insulated and super stiff soles (halfway between the Alpina Alaska and the Alico Ski March or Garmont Excursion). True leather telemark shoes/boots! Rock it!
Very cool! Will these need to be stretched, or will we be getting some on snow reports this season?

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Some of these Alfa boots boots look very interesting, as do the Crispi. But when I’m going out for a ski that will involve a lot of up and down (I’m in Colorado so plenty of up and down to be had), I’ve had good luck with my Fischer BCX 875s. they don’t seem to be too popular on this forum but they work for me. They desperately need new insoles but that’s the only problem I have after 7ish years.

And when I’m more focused on tour than turn, I’m happy with the Alaskas. The laces tend to loosen too much, that’s my only complaint.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:46 am

Woodserson wrote: Isn't the Sydpolen the same as the Antarctic but with Gore-tex? (they both weigh 950g) It certainly looks the same, but maybe you can illuminate the differences?
That is my understanding as well.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:54 am

Also curious about what the difference is between the Sydpolen and the Bre?
Just did a quick search and here is a site selling the "Bre" - but the photo is of the Sydpolen?
https://www.skaugsport.no/produkt/crispi-bre-75-mm-gtx/

Oslo Sportslager's description and photo of the Bre are definitely different:
https://www.oslosportslager.no/produkt/ ... 38519.aspx

Ben- yours are brown? Very cool.
Not as stiff as the Ski March? Interesting.

BTW- I am finally to the point where I think I have the fit of my Ski March boot so that I can wear them with excessive heel lift/blisters. I love the Ski March but training the leather with all of that boot volume has been a challenge. A boot like the Ski March would benefit from a better lacing system and probably an instep strap.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:59 am

snow-mark wrote:Some of these Alfa boots boots look very interesting, as do the Crispi. But when I’m going out for a ski that will involve a lot of up and down (I’m in Colorado so plenty of up and down to be had), I’ve had good luck with my Fischer BCX 875s. they don’t seem to be too popular on this forum but they work for me. They desperately need new insoles but that’s the only problem I have after 7ish years.

And when I’m more focused on tour than turn, I’m happy with the Alaskas. The laces tend to loosen too much, that’s my only complaint.
I very nearly bought the BCX875. It is a very cool idea. I am assuming similar to the intent of the Crispi Svartisen (which BTW, should be at my door by now...!)

I was disappointed that Fischer stopped making the BCX875.
Care to write us a review of it in the review section?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:36 pm

fisheater wrote:
Very cool! Will these need to be stretched, or will we be getting some on snow reports this season?
They need a stretch but not as severely as did my Alico Teletours. I have hope they will be out on the snow this winter.

LC, Skaugs Sports' info seem quite unreliable, they are calling the Crispi Antartic the Crispi Alaska! Lol.

From my understanding, the BRE is replacing the Sydpolen in Norway.

I have also understood the difference bw the Antartic and the Sydpolen was the liner&insulative material. I am wondering if the Sydpolen's sole could be a little stiffer?

At some point, there were several complaints about sole delamination (or toe box blowout?) on the fischer BCX875 (or was that the BCX675???). How much additional support does the 875 confer over the 675? The 675 is rated rather poorly by ute magasinet:
https://www.utemagasinet.no/test/sko-de ... llskituren

For what its worth, a pair of fisher BCX875 (2400g) is about a pound more than sydpolens or antartics (1900g).

Ben
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM