The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:20 am

Andrews do look like some nice boots, but I never felt that I needed buckles on my leather boots. I can get the cuff tight enough to transfer energy to the ski when I flex my ankles with the laces. I can see where the buckles could be a benefit, allowing you to lace your boots looser for touring comfort and quickly tighten the buckles for the downhill.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Agree on the buckles, the benefit is there for people w/ skinny ankles like me, it helps to close the boot around your instep. But you never want extra weight on your feet if you can avoid it.

The Rifugios have undergone stretching and are ready to rock - hopefully tomorrow.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:14 pm

lowangle al wrote:Andrews do look like some nice boots, but I never felt that I needed buckles on my leather boots. I can get the cuff tight enough to transfer energy to the ski when I flex my ankles with the laces. I can see where the buckles could be a benefit, allowing you to lace your boots looser for touring comfort and quickly tighten the buckles for the downhill.
Hi Al, I'd appreciate a lesson on tying the cuff tight and keeping that way, any magic tricks? I have found they always loosen up after a few Kms, and the first thing to go is the tongue that loosens up quite a bit.

By the way, I am so impressed by how well my Alico Teletour buckle can sinch tight at the instep. I do find it offers improved ski control on the down.

But sure, yeah, I can sinch those Sydpolen's real tight too....but it just doesn't last.

My leathers with buckles also come with a nylon midsole that thickens (double) at the duckbill, so the sole on these is a little stiffer than plain lace leathers.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:23 pm

bgregoire wrote: Hi Al, I'd appreciate a lesson on tying the cuff tight and keeping that way, any magic tricks? I have found they always loosen up after a few Kms, and the first thing to go is the tongue that loosens up quite a bit.
There was a discussion a few years ago, but I found that low-stretch laces helped immensely on my Antarctics... and the Alaska lace is still pretty good (though I snug it up)

Check it: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1348

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 pm

I am happy with the way I am able to keep my Ski March tight. I use Gareth's suggestion of using surgeon knots as I lace up. So instead of just crossing up the laces and tucking one under to pull your laces tight before you tie. You tuck under a second time, the same as you would finish a surgeon knot. I do this several times as I lace up. Once just before the instep stays, once just after, and always at the top.
It does work, I hope my words draw the picture.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Andrew vs Arkos
andrewmountain2.jpg
arkos_mountain.png
andrew_rifugio.jpg
arkos_r.png
(small women size, so 1 lace lace loop)
s-l1600.jpg
arkos northrim.jpg
I've been thinking Arkos and Andrew where mostly one and the same for some time but am now more convinced than ever. Actually, I believe I read, one upon a time, that Arkos was actually bought over at some point, only to then become Andrew. (EDIT: that can't be right though as Andrew has been in business since 1981?!, maybe the Arkos line was integrating into the Andrew line?)

Anyone in the know? Anyone know anything about Arkos?

By the way, I, am quite convinced that the purely Norwegian Varg boots (3 models including the Polar (Andrew Expedition) and Skavl (Andrew Zenith nero without the instep buckle) and the Mordegal (a copy of the older Asolo Morgedal) were actually all made in the Andrew shop....
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:24 pm

bgregoire wrote:Hi Al, I'd appreciate a lesson on tying the cuff tight and keeping that way, any magic tricks? I have found they always loosen up after a few Kms, and the first thing to go is the tongue that loosens up quite a
Hey Ben, I tighten them the same way I was shown how to tighten hiking boots in the 70's. I criss cross them from bottom to top keeping tension on them as I go like you normally would with the addition of beating on the tongue as I move up to compress it and tuck it in more. After I get to the top I cross them back down and then back up again. I pull them real hard and may pound on the tongue some more as I'm going. As I'm writing this I realized that there is only a slight bump on my pinkies where I used to have calluses from the laces. One more benefit of plastic boots.

After I do all that I'm pretty much hoping that they loosen up, which they do, to a bearable level. I always had to tighten my cuffs to the max, because I had to leave the lower part of the boot loose because of foot pain. I sometime have to retighten them but usually not before a couple hours. When I'm doin laps and I can't get them tight enough I know it's time to get the plastic boots out.

I can see the benefits of a well placed instep buckle but that seems to be right where your ankle flexes, which could be a problem. It seems like the buckle needs to be above or below that spot.

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:17 pm

I have very shinny ankles and a pretty large foot. Really have trouble tightening boot around the ankle using surgeons knots on my asolo snowfields. Dont recall having this problem on my merrel ultras. Will give al's lacing method a try and may even order some no stretch laces as suggested on another thread.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:17 am

lowangle al wrote:After I get to the top I cross them back down and then back up again. I pull them real hard and may pound on the tongue some more as I'm going.
So once your at the top, you go back down and back up again over the lace hooks? Never thought of that! You must have long laces my friend! I will try...I will also keep my hammer handy for more efficient pounding next time I go for a ski!

As for the instep buckle, as you mentioned, it can be buckled in or out to your hearts delight, so release for touring....But, i have found that the buckle on my Teletours mostly has the effect (sensation-wise) of stiffening up the tongue, which makes it feel more like a plastic boot, so I can lean in to them better and gain more control of my unwiedly skis!

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:07 pm

The laces were the ones that came with the boots and there was just enough to get it done. I did not go all the way down to the bottom locking eye though.

For the hammer I'd recommend an 8 lb. sledge, but don't swing it too hard, and always keep one in your pack. ;) I just use my palm, it also works for plastic boots.