The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: The Finest Nordic Norm (NN) 75mm Backcountry Boots

Post by lowangle al » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:17 am

My Merrill Ultras are pretty identical to my Asolo Extremes.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:38 pm

lowangle al wrote:My Merrill Ultras are pretty identical to my Asolo Extremes.

Oh bummer! Do people actually use these types of boots for nordic touring and light touring for turns? I had a pair of extremes for a few weeks and felt they were way too stiff for nordic touring.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Crispi Antarctic are similar to Merrell Ultras I had, just a little lighter and softer. Merrell had a very roomy last with wide toe box which was great. Yes, unfortunately at least half of the boots in the 2016 article are no longer made, including all the ones from Andrew.

There are several 75mm options with the glued-on sole out there like Alaska but only a few with the thicker, stiffer welted sole. Antarctic, Alico Ski March, Alico Double. I think that's it for the ones still being made. And Alico sends some "Tour" models to a couple stores in Europe.

Alico appears to be doing only made-to-order runs for individual retailers like Sierra Trading Post or military buyers. I'm guessing any Andrew shoes 75mm boots out there are old stock, they've removed the telemark section from their website.

You can still find Alico Tele Tour boots at Braemar in Scotland and Andrew Zenith and Claut at Bogong Sports in Australia.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Cannatonic wrote: Yes, unfortunately at least half of the boots in the 2016 article are no longer made, including all the ones from Andrew.
Canna, I am sorry to have to contradict you here on this. I can order any or all of the boots from that DN list tonight if I dared. And so can you!!!

https://gamletorvetsport.no/catalogsear ... /?q=andrew

https://www.sportsnett.no/crispi

https://www.alewalds.se/webshop/utrustn ... kning.html

https://www.lundhags.se/en/products/kae ... n-75?c=912
(not for 3-pin)

The Bre appears to be replacing the Sydpolen and is readily available in Norway. The Antarctic is more common in Sweden along with the Lundags Husky (or now the Guide Expedition 75) which is unfortunately not compatible with 3pin bindings WITHOUT cables.

The Crispi Nordland is going strong along with the newer Svalbard & the Svartisen in Norway while the Crispi Lofoten 75mm is mostly available in the alps.

And then there is still, of course, the Alpina Alaska, the Alfa Greenland and all those other synthetic boots that I will not bother mentioning.

You're surely right about the Alico situation even though the Alicos at Braemar are not the Tele Tour (see image in thread) but the Ski Tour. Not at all the same beast.

All is not over buddy, oh no. Take care!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:49 pm

I am first of all happy to hear that welted three pin boots are still available, I was actually starting to consider ordering a second Ski March. I would not like to be without a welted leather boot. I do understand why Ben would not like to tour on a boot as stiff as my Ski March. I just do day tours, 15 miles is a pretty good day. Fifteen miles doesn't take a day, it is just a good outing. If I get to do that both days on a weekend, it is only 30 miles in two days. I find the boot to be comfortable. That being said, if I am just skiing trails I have purchased a lighter boot and faster ski.
Now Johnny has demonstrated some impressive turns on light NNN boots, I would rather attempt that type of skiing on the NNN model of the Alaska, than the NN model. I might enjoy an Antarctic, I am not so sure I would like any of the non-welted boots. Ben are you skiing one of the modern non-welted boots in NN, and if you are what Ski are you matching them with?

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:54 am

fisheater wrote: Ben are you skiing one of the modern non-welted boots in NN, and if you are what Ski are you matching them with?
As most of my skis now have NN 75mm bindings, my go to boot for touring is the Alfa Quest Advance 75mm. I nice slipper for touring, warm. It has a very soft sole by I have heard the newer Greenland which replaces it nos has a stiffer sole about sa much as the Alaska 75mm. I will pair that boot with my E99 or my nansen (Cecilie). If the boot had a sole as stiff as the Alaska (hence the Greenland), I would probably pair with as wide as the Ingstad. perhaps a tad wider still. I'm actually getting quite used to the soft sole and can pull some very fun turns with the E99s.

I also have a pair of Karhu Traverse, non-welted, much stiffer sole! But for the moment, I am mostly pulling out my Alico Tetetours when I want more stability....but soon I will have the intermediary Crispi Sydpolen to play around with too!

Probably the only reason I also do not own an Alaska 75mm is that the toebox is just not wide enough for me.

Personally, I don't have anything against the non-welted boots. Alfa started making those in the 60s or something(Vulc), I actually stiff have a pair that is going strong. The big problem is the glue which ages and looses its bonding properties. So non-welted boot do not last more than about a decade or so, used or not.

Hey, if the properties of the fit the bill, welted or not, go skiing with em! God tur!

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:19 am

Don't remember the Ultras as being any kind of stiff just soft leather around the foot and calf....Have two snowfield 2's...a Merril all three lace up....My Andrews a really serious leather with two straps is in the official hurting category and a Rossi chocolate double buckle at the cobblers...Like them all....didn't like the bamboo pole that shattered when getting up from my first crash yesterday....And slapped my self up side the head when the glue didn't hold on my pins making for a survival ski of about a thousand verts and a two mild cc ski out.....It ain't true people get wiser as they age....I can give you zillions of examples....TM

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:36 am

greatgt wrote:....And slapped my self up side the head when the glue didn't hold on my pins making for a survival ski of about a thousand verts and a two mild cc ski out.....It ain't true people get wiser as they age....I can give you zillions of examples....TM
Yeah man I hear yeah! Its never too late to learn to secure your bindings with screws instead of just glue! lol. Hope you will be out for some more soon! Take care!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:05 am

Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:00 am

Which ones come in a EEEE width?