Best Wax for Snow Dust, Frosted Leaves & Grass

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Best Wax for Snow Dust, Frosted Leaves & Grass

Post by fisheater » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:09 am

I have been reading about the nice start to winter in the Northeast, and into Quebec & the Maritime. Here in SE Michigan, we have been freezing and thawing since early November. We have had snow, then rain, then frost and thaw. Bad weather for my construction site, and skiing.
How is everyone else doing? How are things in the UP, PA, Rochester NY, Wisconsin, Minnesota? I know I'll be getting snow soon, Santa likes landing on snowy rooftops!

Cannatonic

Re: Best Wax for Snow Dust, Frosted Leaves & Grass

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:19 pm

lots of snow in the New England mountains but bone-dry here in eastern Mass. Looks like the next ocean storm is going south of us but there's another one on the horizon for next weekend.

The best skis for leaves & grass? some old FIscher E99's off Craiglist...perfect

PS.....Happy Legalization Day to you!
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

trashcat
Ski style: attempting to stay upright
Favorite Skis: The ones I'm currently on
Favorite boots: Merrell leathers, Rossi X5's

Post by trashcat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:43 pm

We got a couple days of skiable snow before thanksgiving here in Ithaca, but none since then. Hoping to take a trip to the ADKS before Christmas, so crossing my fingers that they get dumped on.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Canna and Trashcat best wishes for snow. I really want snow, but my site is so far behind I am happy not to be in charge of the weather. When snow comes, I'll have all the joy I have had since I was a little kid. Until then, I will make the best out of what weather comes.
Best wishes for snow to all. Photos are always great! One of the best thing about this site, after the people, are photos from around the would, and the corner. So continue to post photos!
Cheers

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Plenty of snow up high here in the UP. And about the best wax question: scales.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:06 am

connyro wrote:Plenty of snow up high here in the UP. And about the best wax question: scales.
Good to hear from you Conny. I didn't think you had much snow. I have been checking the snow reports for Marquette Mt, they finally opened yesterday with one chair. Are you trai skiing, or is there enough snow for some downhill skiing as well? I would be happy just taking some trail loops right now, but out my window it is just a nice layer of frost.
I may be taking my son up to Marquette Mt over Christmas break. He has only seen the sand hills and dunes of the lower peninsula, seeing the old rock of Marquette Mt will be a new experience. Checking on snow conditions in Marquette got me thinking about backcountry skiing in the UP. I started thinking about Telefest. I looked up the Porkies again on the map. They are long haul from here. I am going to think about it, I'm not getting any younger. My old ski buddies just act old now. I am thinking I might need to do some things I keep putting off before I start acting old.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:43 pm

this is cool - live cam of 5500' at "Ski Beech" in NC....everyone is having a good time and it's dumping!

https://www.beechmountainresort.com/mountain/webcams/
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

connyro

Post by connyro » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:22 pm

fisheater wrote:
connyro wrote:Plenty of snow up high here in the UP. And about the best wax question: scales.
Good to hear from you Conny. I didn't think you had much snow. I have been checking the snow reports for Marquette Mt, they finally opened yesterday with one chair. Are you trai skiing, or is there enough snow for some downhill skiing as well? I would be happy just taking some trail loops right now, but out my window it is just a nice layer of frost.
I may be taking my son up to Marquette Mt over Christmas break. He has only seen the sand hills and dunes of the lower peninsula, seeing the old rock of Marquette Mt will be a new experience. Checking on snow conditions in Marquette got me thinking about backcountry skiing in the UP. I started thinking about Telefest. I looked up the Porkies again on the map. They are long haul from here. I am going to think about it, I'm not getting any younger. My old ski buddies just act old now. I am thinking I might need to do some things I keep putting off before I start acting old.
MQT MTN is under new management. They have, so far this season, dropped the ball big-time. They were not ready for the regular opening day of Thanksgiving and have so far only managed to just get the snow guns going. I just drove by today and it looked like they had 1 trail open and none of the lifts running. I can go on and on about the terrible changes and laughably bad business decisions these guys have made, but I don't really want to further reinforce the idea that I'm some raving lunatic...true or not.

I strongly suggest you make plans for telefest. It's really worth the effort and time, especially if the snow cooperates. The crowd is really fun and the skiing is great. Trust me, there's lots of old telegeezers who attend the telefest;)

Snow is still pretty thin in most parts of the UP but up in the highlands and the hills north of town, there's close to 2 feet with a thick heavy base. Keweenaw has been getting the goods too.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:49 pm

14-20 inches of powder snow in the Blue Mountains (NE Oregon/SE WA)at 5000 ft. Somewhat more snow in the Selkirks (NW WA, N ID). Maybe less in the Cascades at similar elevations (5000 ft.).

We may get snow tonight at 1000 ft.

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:45 am

Klister is the best for those conditions.
Trust me ;) ;) ;)
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein